Civitavecchia port to train station

elsplace2

Hello!

We will be attempting to do Rome on our own in the short time we are there, which I know will be VERY difficult.

I will probably have LOTS of questions as I go along, but first I would like to know that when the ship ports in Civitavecchia, how do we get to the train station to the Collisium? We will be on NCL Epic, if that makes any difference on where we port. I hear there is a free shuttle to a gate,(how far is the gate, because maybe we can walk if the line to the shuttle is long), then from there we can walk to the train station. Are there signs to the train station? If so, what is the name of the train station? Approx. how long of a walk is it? Approx. how many Euros is it for a round trip? Is their train ticket purchase affiliated with their busing system as well? If we are going to the Collisium first what is the name of that stop and how long of a train ride is that?

Sorry for all the questions! But I do appreciate any information that you guys may have! Thanks in advance!

A few minutes of research on this board will turn up all the answers you are looking for. Rome on your own is not at all difficult, if you do your homework.

Very specific directions on how to get to the key sites in Rome from the train are in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1237189

The ticket you need is called a BIRG; it is good for 24 hours and covers the regional train from Civitavecchia to Rome and back, as well as all mass transit (buses, metro, trams and regional trains) in Rome. Currently, the cost is 9 Euros per person, and the ticket can be purchased easily the train station from either the ticket window or, usually faster, from the newsstand.

The train station is about five blocks south of the port entrance. There's no way to know in advance where your ship with be berthed, but odds are it will be too far to walk. When we were at Civitavecchia, there were plenty of buses and they left as soon as they filled up.

Our cruise departed from Civitavecchia, so we took the train to get from Rome to the get to the port. Very very easy.

There will be a shuttle from your boat to take you out of the port area to the "town" of Civitavecchia, probably no longer than a five minute ride. It would seem to be too far to walk, nor would you want to since I recall there were a lot of turns and the whole area is very industrial.

Once you get to the main town area, there's some stores, etc. It's probably about a 10 minute walk to the train station (may be less if you're not lugging 50 pounds of luggage like we were).

The train ride into Termini station can be anywhere from 41 minutes to 1 hr 18 minutes, depending on what type of train you get. Look for the express train, although these run less often during the day.

The BIRG ticket for 9 Euro is an excellent deal, especially since you will be using the Metro once you get into Rome. Euro cruisers instructions in her link are excellent! Have a great time!

The train ride into Termini station can be anywhere from 41 minutes to 1 hr 18 minutes, depending on what type of train you get. Look for the express train, although these run less often during the day.

The BIRG ticket for 9 Euro is an excellent deal, especially since you will be using the Metro once you get into Rome.

Please note that the BIRG ticket IS NOT VALID ON EXPRESS TRAINS. If caught, this can be an expensive mistake.

Thanks for the quick replies!! I did try and do a search but was not having much luck.....not many came up for my keyword search....

Euro, your thread is AWESOME! I guess I didn't scroll back far enough to find it. But I will be cutting and pasting it to my notes.

So unless I missed the answer to this...the train station in Civitavecchia.. is Termini Station....are there signs to it? I know it was mentioned to go to the shops...and it is to the south...but this is the first time I have been in a foreign country, so I don't want to get lost and waste ANY time... Also it was mentioned that the express train does not except the BIRG tickets....is that where the express train leaves from as well and does it say Express....I don't want to be hopping on the wrong train and doing an expensive mistake!!

The train station in Civitaveccha is simply Stazione Ferroviaria Civitavecchia; Termini is the name of the main train station in Rome, and you'll probably have no need to go there.

I don't specifically remember signs for the station, but I'm sure they are there. You may see something that looks like this:

arrivo_treno.gif

If you create a google map, using these coordinates as your starting point (42.089879,11.791302), and the train station address as your ending point (Via della Repubblica, 14, Civitavecchia, Italia), then specify walking directions, you'll see how simple it is, and that it is less than half a mile from the fortress at the entrance of the port (this is where the shuttle bus will drop you off) to the station.

Also it was mentioned that the express train does not except the BIRG tickets....is that where the express train leaves from as well and does it say Express....I don't want to be hopping on the wrong train and doing an expensive mistake!!

They do not say "express" on the train, but the type of train will be listed on the screen at the track, as well as on the listing in the station. If the train is listed as a "Reg", that means it's a regional train, and your BIRG ticket is good. If it is listed as an IC (intercity) or ES City train, it is express and the ticket is not good.

The easiest thing to do is print out the list of train times a week or so before you leave, so you know which one you want, and what your fallback options are.

Tomorrow morning, for example, there are four regional trains between 7 AM and 9 AM (at 7:33, 7:50, 8:41 and 8:59); the first IC train isn't until 9:17, so you'd likely be long gone by then.

First of all, don't stress. This is very easy. Just get off the shuttle (never a long line that I have ever seen) and turn right. Walk straight down that road, which is a main street, parallel to the water, for about 4 long blocks. The station will be on your left. Go into the newsstand and say 'BIRG, per favore' and hand the guy 9 euros/pp. He will give you exactly what you need. Then (and this is the important part!) validate your ticket in the little yellow box on the platform.

You will want to get off at Roma Ostiense (read the threads) to get to the Colosseum. Buy your tickets at the Palatine Hill entrance to skip the line--this ticket is good for the Colosseum, Forum, and PH.

Hang on to your BIRG; you can use it on the subways or the very easy-to-use buses to get anywhere you want to go.

It may sound complicated but in reality it is very easy--even for a first timer. Remember, we were all first timers at one point and lived to tell the story!

Most of all, enjoy! It's ROME!

Thanks again for your quick replies! You are all a WEALTH of information!!! I'm sure I will have a few more questions in the future...but for now, I think I am pretty comfortable venturing out on our own!! Hopefully the weather will be good with all this walking we'll be doing!! Wish we had more time in Rome, but I will definitely be throwing a coin in the Trevi fountain, for a return visit!!! For now, it will be the highlights!!

Thanks for all your help!!

We rode the shuttle (no way in the world you could walk with luggage from where our ship was docked). It would have been dangerous and exhausting.....

For us, dragging luggage, it was a long walk to the station....longer than we wanted. In addition, know that you may have to get to the opposite track. If that is the case, you have to get your luggage down a big flight of stairs, across and up another big flight of stairs, then down the tracks to where the trains arrive. If that is the case, you need to allow extra time to do this, because it is not something you'd want to do when rushed and frantic to catch a specific train.

Sounds like the OP will be in Rome only for a day, so carrying luggage likely won't be an issue. But the down and up the stairs is helpful for those coming or going to the airport. I knew the stairs were there from reading the boards, but many others on the train were quite surprised. It is rather difficult lugging 50 pound suitcases down all those stairs, but everyone was able to manage. Can't remember if I saw an elevator anywhere.

Sounds like the OP will be in Rome only for a day, so carrying luggage likely won't be an issue. But the down and up the stairs is helpful for those coming or going to the airport. I knew the stairs were there from reading the boards, but many others on the train were quite surprised. It is rather difficult lugging 50 pound suitcases down all those stairs, but everyone was able to manage. Can't remember if I saw an elevator anywhere.

You're exactly right--I didn't read the OP's post carefully enough! There is no elevator, BTW...we looked.:o

• 2 weeks later...

Someone told me that trains were sold out for August 26, the day I'll be in port. Is this possible? Can you buy tickets in advance online? Does the train stop at the Vatican? I need to return from Rome in time to board the ship at 5:30 Ship departs at 6:30. What time should I get the return train from Rome?

RGARD39

You might be thinking of the express trains being sold out. When we were there - we simply rolled up to the ticket booth - I used the little Italian I know and ordered 3 BIRG tickets (me, DH and a cruise critic friend!) and on we hopped.

For the return - if the ship leaves at 6:30 - I would aim for 4 - 4:30 just to allow for any delays etc...

Someone told me that trains were sold out for August 26, the day I'll be in port. Is this possible? Can you buy tickets in advance online? Does the train stop at the Vatican? I need to return from Rome in time to board the ship at 5:30 Ship departs at 6:30. What time should I get the return train from Rome?

RGARD39

Relax, they are wrong. You cannot purchase advance tickets on line for regional trains, and there really isn't anything like being "sold out". Think of a glorified subway - people keep getting on, but there's no guarantee that you'll have a seat.

The closest stop to the Vatican is Roma San Pietro, but it's still a short distance from there to either St. Peter's or the Vatican museums.

If you want to be on the ship in Civitavecchia by 5:30, the last train you could take would be the 4:29 from Roma San Pietro, which arrives in Civitavecchia at 5:13, allowing you enough time to walk to the port entrance (about 10 minutes) and get the shuttle to your ship.

Instruction on how to get to the Vatican by train are here:

How to Reach Key Sites in Rome from Civitavecchia (by train)

(all mass transit below, excluding cabs, is included in a 5-zone BIRG ticket)

Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel

From Roma San Pietro station (cabs are not generally available at this station):

Walking:

§ Walk 1.1 miles to entrance on Viale Vaticano (at intersection of Via Tunisi)

Bus plus walking:

§ Take #64 bus (direction Termini) for three stops to Cavalleggeri/Fornaci stop (just before the bus enters the tunnel), use underpass at Via Fornaci to cross Via di Porta Cavalleggeri, cross Piazza San Pietro (basilica on left)

§ Walk 0.8 miles to entrance on Viale Vaticano (at intersection of Via Tunisi)

Train plus bus:

§ Change trains at Roma San Pietro to the FR3 (toward Cesano or Manziana - Canale Monterano) for one stop to Valle Aurelia (note that this is NOT the same stop as the Trenitalia Roma Aurelia stop)

§ Take #490 bus (direction Tiburtina) for four stops to CANDIA/MOCENIGO

§ Walk 0.1 miles (along Via Tunisi) to entrance of museums

From Roma Aurelia station (cabs are not generally available at this station):

§ Take bus #246 (direction Cornelia) six stops to DE LA SALLE

§ Enter Metro station Cornelia and take Line A (the only one at this station) toward Anagnina for three stops to Cipro

§ From Cipro station, turn right on Via Fra Albenzio to end, then right on Via Vittor Pisani to end, then left on Viale Vaticano to museums entrance (total walk 0.4 miles)

St. Peter’s Basilica/Papal Audience

From Roma San Pietro station (cabs are not generally available at this station):

Walking:

§ Walk 0.4 miles to Piazza San Pietro

Bus plus walking:

§ Take #64 bus (direction Termini) for three stops to Cavalleggeri/Fornaci stop (just before the bus enters the tunnel), use underpass at Via Fornaci to cross Via di Porta Cavalleggeri, cross Piazza San Pietro (basilica on left)

§ Continue along Piazza del Sant’Uffizio to Piazza San Pietro

Thread this information came from: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1237189

Archived