when should I book?

Hydrokitty

This is our first large ship cruise and we've chosen Alaska cruisetour #18 SB. We're planning on last week in May to mid-June for departure on this 14 day trip on the Staatendam. I REALLY want a verandah cabin, and have been waiting to get the 2011 cruise brochure (which I requested a MONTH ago and still haven't gotten despite two requests!) I see people on this board have already booked for June, 2011 and would hate to get shut out of my balcony because I waited too long!

Also, I'm planning on doing this myself, since I'm used to making my own arrangements and have traveled extensively. Is there any advantage to using a travel agent when booking with HAL?

... and would hate to get shut out of my balcony because I waited too long!

Also, I'm planning on doing this myself, since I'm used to making my own arrangements and have traveled extensively. Is there any advantage to using a travel agent when booking with HAL?

If you want a verandah cabin I'd say book now with HAL. Then watch prices and offers of "bennies" from TA's, and anytime up to final payment day you can easily transfer the booking to any one that would give a better price or more extras. Or cancel it altogether, and book something else.

If you were to book with a TA now you can't be anywhere near as flexible, as it is often difficult to get a TA to give up a booking and/or they may charge a fee to do so.

By booking early you get more choice of rooms, have a better chance of getting your dining preference, and you can book the "limited capacity" excursions before they fill up.

If you want a specific cabin or cabin location, by all means book now - either do it yourself, through a TA or directly with HAL. The longer you wait, the less chance you have of getting the cabin category you want.

You can always look for the added goodies, price breaks, etc., later on down the line, but at least you will have the cabin that is important to you! :)

Personally I see no reason not to book now and no reason why a TA wouldn't be more than happy to assist. We use an Internet TA as we need no assistance other than booking the cruise. We get either a reduced price or other incentives to book. We've never been charged a fee, other than they're obviously getting a commission, by the TA to book with them. HAL will book you but at the full price. They aren't into getting bargains or incentives as far as I know.

This is our first large ship cruise and we've chosen Alaska cruisetour #18 SB. We're planning on last week in May to mid-June for departure on this 14 day trip on the Staatendam. I REALLY want a verandah cabin, and have been waiting to get the 2011 cruise brochure (which I requested a MONTH ago and still haven't gotten despite two requests!) I see people on this board have already booked for June, 2011 and would hate to get shut out of my balcony because I waited too long!

You might want to try www.hollandamerica.com - then click on "view e-brochures" ... there is an Alaska 2011 brochure there which I think gives lots of info. I believe you can e:mail it to yourself from the site also. I have found pricing thru HAL is usually lower than stated in the brochures.

As usual my cruise critic "friends" always come through! I will book this with HAL tomorrow using the e-brochure. I visited a TA and was totally unimpressed since they said they specialize in cruises but really were pushing me to Princess even though I explained several times that my husband would NOT even bring a suit, let alone a tuxedo on vacation!! Been there and we're done with that! Also they couldn't seem to find any HAL cruise info for 2011 only 2010. We've always done small ship cruises (you can catch me on river and canal cruises or Egypt boards) so this is a new adventure for me! Thanks again:D:)

jtl513: I see you have already been to Alaska on the Staatendam.....so you're going to get all my questions! How dressy is it to eat in the dining room? Would black jeans and a beaded top be ok? How good is the food if I choose to eat at the buffet? Is there table seating or is it a pool side burgers and dogs thing? what shore excursions do you recommend NOT taking.

HAL will book you but at the full price. They aren't into getting bargains or incentives as far as I know.

Curious about your statement. I booked my upcoming cruise on HAL's website specifically because no other TA or website beat HAL's price. Yes, I could have had lots of free things thrown in from TA's ... but their prices were higher than the cost of buying my own OBC, soda card, PG dinner, etc.

Curious about your statement. I booked my upcoming cruise on HAL's website specifically because no other TA or website beat HAL's price. Yes, I could have had lots of free things thrown in from TA's ... but their prices were higher than the cost of buying my own OBC, soda card, PG dinner, etc.

Unfortunately we're not allowed to discuss a specific agency or agent here. All I can say is that there are still discounts to be had if you locate the right, and I might add legitimate, TA. Other than my very first cruise I've not paid the HAL brochure fare for any cruise. Over the years the savings have been I think substantial. Granted HAL has come down on the discounters and the bargains aren't quite what they once were but there are still some.

jtl513: I see you have already been to Alaska on the Staatendam.....so you're going to get all my questions! How dressy is it to eat in the dining room? Would black jeans and a beaded top be ok? How good is the food if I choose to eat at the buffet? Is there table seating or is it a pool side burgers and dogs thing? what shore excursions do you recommend NOT taking.
We found the Statendam in AK to be pretty much like any other HAL cruise. Jeans are allowed in the dining room on Smart Casual nights, but I think you'd want to skip them on formal nights. Dress up more for your first formal night and look around the room to judge about the 2nd one! HAL says:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or

Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and

sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and

sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts, swimsuits,

tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or

public areas during the evening hours.

On festive Formal evenings, ladies wear a cocktail dress or

gown and gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo.

The food in the Lido for dinner is mostly the same as in the dining room that night ... but you won't see lobster there on formal nights. The tables are covered with tablecloths (or were when we were on in '07) and the lighting is lowered so that it becomes a bit nicer than at lunch.

The only shore excursion I would definitely not recommend is a 3rd-party Dolly Varden one in Ketchikan. A bad experience, not worth 1/4 of what we paid. :(

Thanks jtl. I booked this cruise for June 6, 2011 and I haven't decided whether to do my own air or not. so far i cannot beat HAL's $900 fare, but I'm still trying. Excursions I'm most interested in are: float trip in Denali; Yukon & White Pass RR and Totem Bight. Everything else is nice but not a deal breaker. As of now, I cannot book any excursions yet. When will they start booking them, do you have any idea?

Archived