Wrap skirt / dress

Belease

I wondered what you guys thought of the circle skirts / dresses you can get where there are supposedly 100 different ways of wearing them? I bought one on eBay (like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-INDIAN-SILK-WRAP-MAGIC-SKIRT-DRESS-KARIZA-DVD_W0QQitemZ180537433251QQihZ008QQcategoryZ965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) and I can't wait to wear mine, but I wondered whether anyone else had one and what your impressions of it were? I imagine myself using it more as a dress than a skirt, as as a skirt the length isn't very flattering to me... Have you got one? Have you seen people wearing these on cruises? What do you think? (PS - mine is green and red, I love it!).

And although I love the colors and can figure out how to wear it as a skirt - I'm LOST with the other styles (and yes I have watched the accompanying DVD at least 5 times). It's a great idea but as a size 12, I think I'm just too big to wear the other styles - it just doesn't look right as a dress or in the other styles at least on me!

I personally own a few the are awesome a called "magic skirt" http://www.themagicskirt.com or http://www.karizadesigns.com (local mall kiosk) They have directions on how to wear them. I love mine, I have the long version (more versatile in my opinion). I also love sarongs http://www.*****.com Some websites to share and take a look see.

By the way I'm a size 12 and been wearing them for years- no problems. The short and medium lengths no, long length yes.

And although I love the colors and can figure out how to wear it as a skirt - I'm LOST with the other styles (and yes I have watched the accompanying DVD at least 5 times). It's a great idea but as a size 12, I think I'm just too big to wear the other styles - it just doesn't look right as a dress or in the other styles at least on me!

I'm in the same boat as you...I bought one thinking "this will be so easy,"....not so much. It's gotten lots of use as a skirt though.

It looks really cute. I have 1 rule when I pack for a cruise... not to pack anything that has too big of a skirt...just in case it is windy and the skirt tries to take flight..:eek:

I wear light pair of shorts underneath to solve that issue, if a Marilyn Monroe moment happens my stuff is covered:D

These are so cool and I love the color combos from the ebay seller that the OP bought from.

Question: how bulky are these when tied as a skirt? There seems to be so much fabric; I'd be afraid that it would add some lbs to the hips.

These are so cool and I love the color combos from the ebay seller that the OP bought from.

Question: how bulky are these when tied as a skirt? There seems to be so much fabric; I'd be afraid that it would add some lbs to the hips.

mine is made of some very lightweight "silk" fabric so it doesn't add much to the hips.

Care tip: please hand wash cold water with Woolite- drip dry- the washing machine makes the silk harsh in texture. These are light weight not bulky at all.

I have 5 or 6 of them all three lengths......i wear them as skirts dreses and tops.....LOVE THEM

At the port in Grand Cayman there is a shop that sells them at a reasonable price...i also know 3 or 4 places in ontario canada that sell them......about $25 sometimes less at sale times of year

they pack like a dream (i roll them) take up little space and can be dressed up or down...

i also am a size 12

beth

I wear light pair of shorts underneath to solve that issue, if a Marilyn Monroe moment happens my stuff is covered:D

Bali has a nice line of panties called Fits your Curves that are a substantial enough fabric and style that they would serve in such an moment. They have a full-coverage butt - they come in "modern-brief" (slightly below the waist - not " granny panties") and hipster style (hi-cut too, I think), and they have the traditional colors as well as trendy ones and prints. I just bought some a fews days ago and I love them.

I wondered what you guys thought of the circle skirts / dresses you can get where there are supposedly 100 different ways of wearing them? I bought one on eBay (like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-INDIAN-SILK-WRAP-MAGIC-SKIRT-DRESS-KARIZA-DVD_W0QQitemZ180537433251QQihZ008QQcategoryZ965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) and I can't wait to wear mine, but I wondered whether anyone else had one and what your impressions of it were? I imagine myself using it more as a dress than a skirt, as as a skirt the length isn't very flattering to me... Have you got one? Have you seen people wearing these on cruises? What do you think? (PS - mine is green and red, I love it!).

long and short..with a video..$25/$35

I personally own a few the are awesome a called "magic skirt" www.themagicskirt.com or www.karizadesigns.com (local mall kiosk) They have directions on how to wear them. I love mine, I have the long version (more versatile in my opinion). I also love sarongs www.*****.com Some websites to share and take a look see.

By the way I'm a size 12 and been wearing them for years- no problems. The short and medium lengths no, long length yes.

Thanks for the link. I was able to find the longer ones for us bigger gals!

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of wearing a skirt or dress? I like to wear them on hot days to stay cool, extra air going up there. Dresses are great for port days, not so much for sea days.

I actually made one myself (they're very easy to make!) I love this style of dress!

The only issues are that some ways of wearing it aren't compatible with standard bras. So you either need a low-back bra, or an adhesive bra (what I used), or you can often have a tube top/bandeau made in the same fabric to provide extra coverage. There are ways of wearing the dress that do provide fuller back coverage too, though. And you can really wear it however you like.

Here's a picture of me wearing it on our most recent cruise.

AlaskaCruise531.jpg

Wow, I want one of these. Does anyone know where to get one for plus size? I'm a 16/18 and would love something like this, especially for our cruise!

For plus sizes, try http://www.monifc.com/marilyn-convertible-dress.html

You can also find a seller on Etsy.com that will make one custom for you in your size.

I just ordered one of the indian ones from ebay. there weren't many plus size prints to choose from, but I think I found one that's pretty. I can't wait to get it! I ordered a different convertible wrap style dress in dark red for the cruise as well. this way, I have several dresses and more room in my suitcase for my 7 day cruise! Thanks for the tip, I would've never found the indian ones. I work in an international center and saw a girl with one on today and it was adorable!

Archived