2012 World Cruise

Wellseasoned

Received an e-mail from Silversea today, announcing that the 2012 world cruise will take place aboard the Silver Whisper, departing Ft. Lauderdale January 7 and finishing in Monte Carlo 115 days later. Did not give the itinerary or many other details, but a brochure should be printed soon. Venetian members can reserve a place on the priority booking wait list with a $2000 deposit.

We received a hard copy letter to our home yesterday.

It begins in Fort Lauderdale on January 7, 2012 and mentions Rio, South Africa, Mandalay, Burma, Asia including India, Petra (probably Aquaba Jordan), Egypt and Monte Carlo. So, this doesn't give all the details but gives you a feel for the overall course.

As noted, waitlist of $2,000 per person for deposit and it mentions that waitlist deposits can be made up to September 15.

Keith

We received a hard copy letter to our home yesterday. It begins in Fort Lauderdale on January 7, 2012 and mentions Rio, South Africa, Mandalay, Burma, Asia including India, Petra (probably Aquaba Jordan), Egypt and Monte Carlo. So, this doesn't give all the details but gives you a feel for the overall course. As noted, waitlist of $2,000 per person for deposit and it mentions that waitlist deposits can be made up to September 15.

Keith

We got the same letter, Keith. It really pushed hard on the idea that they would offer "An Immersion" experience with lots and lots of top speakers, destination experts, cooking demos, local entertainment, etc. Don't know how much of that is "new" for Silversea, picking up on what Crystal and others do, etc.? They also mentioned getting lots of "feedback" from past cruisers to structure these programs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Top speakers? As in Dan Rather? SS has pretty much purged itself of carrying "top speakers."

Agree in that Dan Rather is not my personal top favorite. BUT, if he's honest in answering question, he could be interesting. BUT, he might be the same old Dan on his upcoming World Cruise segment. Later this month, Silversea has Ted Koppel on a cruise from Stockholm. That would be interesting.

I would not say all that SS does for speakers is bad or average. Our two speakers on the Silver Cloud last month were not big names, but they both did very, very well, drew good audiences, were entertaining and informative, etc. We were pleased and enlightened!!! They worked well by bring various visuals to help make things more interesting and appealing during their several programs. Below is one sample picture. I would rate SS well in this area for what we experienced on a cruise that was fairly port intensive.

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

The morning presentation on glaciers and fjords was done by Niki Sepsas with his excellent graphics and visuals.:

CloudNikiOnGlaciers.jpg

I would like to add that from my experiences you don't need big names to get top speakers. There are so many great speakers out there that we have enjoye on world cruise sailings (different cruise line) that I never heard of before the cruise. Many times it's the ones you have never heard of who turn out to be the best.

The other thing I have learned that it can be a great opportunity to hear from a wide range of speakers including those you agree with and those you don't. After all, if you just want to hear those who you agree with, one can just stay home.

Keith

Totally agree on the less than known names being great speakers. That would come under the heading of enrichment lectures, yes? On my particular cruises, it has been awhile since a good one has been onboard.

Regarding world cruise of a few years ago. Lynn Sheer (former ABC news)

was booked and thought this could be an interesting presentation. WRONG! She opens with a line like "what kind of slugs would book a world cruise?" Goes on to say that after talking with a few of you, you're not at all what I had originally thought. She could have spoken about so many interesting stories. She talks about being a female pioneer in televsion news. The poor, oppressed female in broadcast news. I walked out and watched the taped version later from the room. It did not improve.

After Sheer, other speakers were a delight.

Dieter, are debbie and you planning to book any segments? the whole enchilada?

Wes,

U going to do a segemt or 2? We would LOVE to be on the African itinerary (South Africa is number one on my bucket list!) Would love to share a segment with you! :) Packing up for London to Reyjkavik : leaving next week and looking forward to experiencing the Cloud!

Mary and Mike

Mary and Mike, Ida and I would love to do get back on the Whisper and share a voyage with you too..and right now our dance (cruise card) is empty for 2012...will take a closer look at the WC segments offered.

Totally agree on the less than known names being great speakers. That would come under the heading of enrichment lectures, yes? On my particular cruises, it has been awhile since a good one has been onboard. Regarding world cruise of a few years ago. Lynn Sheer (former ABC news) was booked and thought this could be an interesting presentation. WRONG! She opens with a line like "what kind of slugs would book a world cruise?" Goes on to say that after talking with a few of you, you're not at all what I had originally thought. She could have spoken about so many interesting stories. She talks about being a female pioneer in televsion news. The poor, oppressed female in broadcast news. I walked out and watched the taped version later from the room. It did not improve. After Sheer, other speakers were a delight.

Your Lynn Sheer example makes the point that a "name speaker" does not always work that well. Just as with some "one-hit music wonders", they might have only a single thing to offer or that they have ever done. After that, what else is there to offer or share???? For the cruise ship audiences, a speaker needs to be able to "adjust" and fit the needs and interests of that audience, etc. Plus, having some good visuals helps, plus a sense of humor, etc.

We might consider FLL-CPT if it's on the agenda. Would do that in lieu of the Silver Spirit LIS-FLL T/A in Oct/Nov 2011, which we're holding on to right now.

2012.....FLL to CPT.....Silver Whisper.....Priceless!:D

Observer,

Thank you for the inside information! I wanted to reserve a segment onboard our upcoming cruise to get the onboard discount, but without an official "voyage number" I can't do it. I guess we will "book" something else and then move it when the itineraries are official. We had booked CPT to Rio on Regent (december of 2010) and cancelled to stay loyal to SS, looks like we made the right decision .......this may be a similar itinerary! :rolleyes:

We did the itinerary from FLL-CPT aboard Voyager in 2006. Great trip! The Rio weather in Jan isn't real great- lots of rain. However, the South Atlantic was like glass and it was sunny every day, except for a few light showers in St. Helena.

I usually do not pay any attention to speakers on cruises, but on my Panama Canal cruise on Shadow in late April and May of this year, there was a speaker who gave a number of talks on famous broadway composers, who was absolutely great.

I even attended his presentation concerning Andrew Lloyd Webber and it was first rate with music and a very thorough review of Webber's musicals, as well as a lot of information that is not generally known.

He is not famous, and I can't even remember his name. However, at dinner one evening I excused myself and went over to his table to told him how much I enjoyed the Webber presentation.

I would much rather listen to someone like this speaker than any of the media stars who are so full of themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
My sources tell me that the initial leg of the 2012 WC will indeed be FLL, down the east coast of South America, and then over to South Africa.

We were informed on the Cloud last week that only the entire WORLD CRUISE could be reserved with a wait list deposit of£1200.After South Africa it is Indian Ocean to Middle East to Far East eventualy throgh the Suez Canal and Med to final destination Monaco. Total 115 days. Shame the cruise excludes South Pacific Austrailia and New Zealand.

Archived