Western Caribbean - best shore excursions?

tobymonster

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are going on our first cruise this fall and are looking for some guidance on excursions. Since it is our first time, we'll probably stick primarily to ship excursions. Any tips on which excursions (or activities in general) would be best to do in each port to get some variety? We'll be going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan. We don't want to do the same thing in each port (ie: snorkel everyone, etc).

Thanks!

I'd recommend you check out the various ports at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Have a great cruise.

Thanks, SBAnt. I have been reading about the various ports and have gotten some great ideas. I hadn't seen anything saying things like "if you're only going to snorkel in one port, this is the best one for it", etc. Also, not much about the Celebrity ship excursions, so I thought I'd try the Celebrity board. Doesn't look like the right place to ask, though.

Hi Tobymonster! Have you joined your rollcall for your cruise? That is an excellent place to learn from your fellow shipmates (many of whom have been to the ports before) what excursions are the best.

Have a great cruise!

Doris

My favorite excursion was Stingray City in Grand Cayman. There is also a nice sea turtle farm on the island that you can visit on some of the tours.

In Cozumel, it's nice to visit the Mayan Ruins, but it is a very long trip. I like to just wander around town and go shopping and have lunch at Pancho's Backyard in the back of Los Cinco Sols. We also like to go to Paradise Beach Club, about a $12 cab ride. It is free as long as you order food or drinks, and they come out and serve you on your lounge chair. They have water sports for the kids for a small fee.

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are going on our first cruise this fall and are looking for some guidance on excursions. Since it is our first time, we'll probably stick primarily to ship excursions. Any tips on which excursions (or activities in general) would be best to do in each port to get some variety? We'll be going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan. We don't want to do the same thing in each port (ie: snorkel everyone, etc).

Thanks!

We're doing the Western Caribbean in November so it might be after your cruise and our review will not be much help. We've been to Cozumel before and did the excursion to Tulum. It was fun but hot. It also included a beach but by the time we were to head off it was raining and everyone opted to pass. We headed back to Cozumel and spent some time at a beach bar. This time we have a snorkel booked for Cozumel and Roatan thru the ship. In Costa Maya we are doing a private beach excursion. Nothing booked in Grand Cayman yet.

I haven't been on X yet, but I can suggest a couple of excursion since I have been to Grand Cayman and Roatan. Those are both excellent ports for water activities. Grand Cayman's must see is Sting Ray City. On Roatan the snorkeling at west end is incredible. You might find west end listed as Tabayana Beach

Thanks, everyone!

I'm looking at the Turtle, Stingray Land & Sea tour in Cayman and Chacchoben Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya. Sounds like I should look into snorkeling in Roatan, and maybe hit the beach or snorkel in Cozumel. We don't have SCUBA licenses, unfortunately.

In Grand Caymen, if you have not done this before, you must do Stingray City. You will not believe how soft the stingrays are.....kissing them is good luck. We combined this with a jet ski trip which was also fantastic. I never saw DW laugh so hard when riding one of the jet machines. In Roatan, highly recommend Victor Boden tours...very knowledgable.

Last year we did not get into Cozumel due to the piggy flu.....but we have booked on our upcoming trip a private beach resort at Nachi Cocom Beach ($59/each), lunch & drinks incl alcoholic included and have added snorkling to Palancar for another $38 each......

Archived