Formal or Informal

Jerry and Shelly

I don't think of the guests or atmosphere on Celebrity as being old or stuffy. We are also in our mid fifties, but we can still party with the best of them. Don't worry about Celebrity, you will all have a great time! And as someone else mentioned, no one will be discussing attire once you're on board.

As more and more cruiselines go to a more relaxed dress code it will serve to cement Celebrity's place as something special.

Or possibly lose business to the other lines in the process.

Given the opportunity to be formal & have to carry the extra clothing along for a few hours or go casual for those 2 or 3 nights I really wonder what the majority will decide in the long run?

Even elegant lines like Regent cruises have recently changed to a less formal atmosphere.

Or possibly lose business to the other lines in the process.

Given the opportunity to be formal & have to carry the extra clothing along for a few hours or go casual for those 2 or 3 nights I really wonder what the majority will decide in the long run?

Even elegant lines like Regent cruises have recently changed to a less formal atmosphere.

I don't think that you could generalize like that.

Last year in the Seabourne almost everyone wore a tuxedo on formal nights.

I think that it wouldbe a marketing decision if Celebrity wanted to focus on a certain clientele rather than try to capture a broad volume.

I thought that the only reason for celebrity line was to separate it from Royal Caribbean...

I always thought that it was a 'toyota-Lexus' relationship....

I just don't understand the people who insist on 'Crashing the Party' on formal nights..

It's fine if you don't want to dress up, but why insist on being with the people who want to have a formal party?

have some respect for others.

I don't think that you could generalize like that.

Last year in the Seabourne almost everyone wore a tuxedo on formal nights.

I think that it wouldbe a marketing decision if Celebrity wanted to focus on a certain clientele rather than try to capture a broad volume.

I thought that the only reason for celebrity line was to separate it from Royal Caribbean...

I always thought that it was a 'toyota-Lexus' relationship....

I just don't understand the people who insist on 'Crashing the Party' on formal nights..

It's fine if you don't want to dress up, but why insist on being with the people who want to have a formal party?

have some respect for others.

I view it the other way. If you like to dress up there's no one stopping you from doing so & although I'm not to familiar with what's happening on Celebrity lately I suspect it's gotten less formal that 5 or 6 years ago.

I also view Seabourne as a strictly formal cruise line & way out of my price range of what I'm willing to spend on a cruise. I see Celebrity as being very similar to RCI & Princess- possibly a little more stuffy but it does go to Bermuda which I'm considering.

Since most people who want to sail Celebrity are respectful, they will continue to make the choice to attend another venue on the ship for formal night when they don't care to dress for dinner. If they just can't stand to be on a ship with a dress code, they'll choose another cruiseline.

The formal night requirement is not what separates Celebrity from RCCL or other lines. If that were the case, it would put Celebrity a notch above Oceania and Regent (both of which are strictly resort casual) and we know that is not the case.

Having sailed both Oceania and Celebrity (and repeating on both as you can see from my signature), the dress code is not what distinguishes them from others. O is a far more upscale experience (and a more costly one) than Celebrity with not a gown or tuxedo (or even a sport jacket) in sight.

We are experienced X cruisers (10 cruises) and will be on the Century in a couple of weeks in the Med. We have always dressed to the nines on formal nights and truly loved those special evenings. I, like others on this forum, did not appreciate other diners who did not accept the formal dress guidelines. However, this time we are skipping the MDR on formal nights and eating at the buffet or sushi or other informal restaurants. Can't really explain it except to say we're in a casual mood kind of funk.

I think the trend in dining ashore and on ship (Celebrity too) is toward the casual concept anyway. For example, a Philly world-renowned French restaurant is closing. They couldn't get diners in recent years despite lowering their prices and allowing jeans in the dining room. Even with those changes the perception was that it was too 'formal.' Times are changing and I think if the casual trend continues Celebrity will have to re-think their formal guidelines eventually if their brand suffers because of it.

The formal night requirement is not what separates Celebrity from RCCL or other lines. If that were the case, it would put Celebrity a notch above Oceania and Regent (both of which are strictly resort casual) and we know that is not the case.

Having sailed both Oceania and Celebrity (and repeating on both as you can see from my signature), the dress code is not what distinguishes them from others. O is a far more upscale experience (and a more costly one) than Celebrity with not a gown or tuxedo (or even a sport jacket) in sight.

It's not the same category of cruiseline.

Since most people who want to sail Celebrity are respectful, they will continue to make the choice to attend another venue on the ship for formal night when they don't care to dress for dinner. If they just can't stand to be on a ship with a dress code, they'll choose another cruiseline.

I am hoping that most people who sail Celebrity are indeed respectful and will not comment on what others choose to wear. If they can't stand to see people who have chosen not to dress in a way that they deem appropriate, maybe they will close their eyes.

I am hoping that most people who sail Celebrity are indeed respectful and will not comment on what others choose to wear. If they can't stand to see people who have chosen not to dress in a way that they deem appropriate, maybe they will close their eyes.

No one ever comments on what others wear. It's the cruiseline that sets the dress code, not the passengers. Most grownups do follow the dress code and those who choose not to will just be in the minority.

No one ever comments on what others wear. It's the cruiseline that sets the dress code, not the passengers. Most grownups do follow the dress code and those who choose not to will just be in the minority.

I don't think it is such a big "minority" anymore and if the cruise line chooses not to enforce their guidelines, that is their decision. Celebrity is trying to appeal to everyone now, especially since their pricing now reflects it. I can't see how someone who is even smart casually dressed on formal night "just ruins it" for everyone who likes the formal stuff. As suggested in a previous post, close your eyes or look away. There are more important things in life to deal with. People will do what they want to do. On one of our past cruises, we opted not to bring formal clothes and we informed the wait staff that we would not be at dinner that night because of it. They all encouraged us to attend dinner anyway, even the assistant head waiter. So, really, it is between the cruise staff and the cruiser. Like I said before, let Celebrity know your feelings about this, both pro and con. We certainly have!

Respect goes both ways. Respect also includes dressing according to the guidelines. Or does that not factor into your definition of respect?

We have never thought of Celebrity as anything other than a mainstream, mass market cruise line....very similar to the HAL's and Princess' of the world. Their current pricing models certainly line up here, as does the size of their ships and their fleets. I would consider Oceania and Azamera as the premium lines in between the high end lines such as Regent and Crystal. Celebrity will focus in the 'space' where they maximize occupancy rates and per person revenues in all of the revenue generating departments. If this means going more casual or attracting a slightly different demographic they will do so. It is a business decision.

Under "Casual dining and above" on the X website it says, for gentlemen, that "shirts must have sleeves". My cousin who has sailed many times always wears a long-sleeved shirt. Wouldn't a short-sleeved shirt be fine, even for Formal nights, under a sport jacket/blazer? This will be my wife's and my first cruise.

Under "Casual dining and above" on the X website it says, for gentlemen, that "shirts must have sleeves". My cousin who has sailed many times always wears a long-sleeved shirt. Wouldn't a short-sleeved shirt be fine, even for Formal nights, under a sport jacket/blazer? This will be my wife's and my first cruise.

What the shirts "with sleeves" means is no sleeveless t shirts on casual days.

Altho technically no, a sport coat or blazer with dress pants and tie is NOT formal. We all get that. But neither is a a man wearing a suit or any woman wearing a cocktail dress or dressy pallazzo/crepe pants with pretty top. Which is what the majority wear. And might I add, look very nice.

If you dress in any of the above no one will say a word. Formal/informal boundaries on Celebrity have blurred and they are satisfied with that. ;)

What the shirts "with sleeves" means is no sleeveless t shirts on casual days.

Altho technically no, a sport coat or blazer with dress pants and tie is NOT formal. We all get that. But neither is a a man wearing a suit or any woman wearing a cocktail dress or dressy pallazzo/crepe pants with pretty top. Which is what the majority wear. And might I add, look very nice.

If you dress in any of the above no one will say a word. Formal/informal boundaries on Celebrity have blurred and they are satisfied with that. ;)

The reason the majority of the people you speak of wear what they wear is because it is indicated as appropriate according to "Celebrity's" dress code.

Sport coats are not part of their definition.

One reason that Celebrity's guests are not dressing up as much is because society is not as dressed up. I used to show houses as a Realtor in 95 degree weather dressed in high heels & pantihose. The men used to dress in long sleeved shirts & ties & jackets in the heat. Not anymore. Alot of workplaces and restaurants have looser dress codes than before.

Celebrity's formal nights are lovely and I think they do not want to deny entry to the MDR to people who do not choose to be respectful of their code. Most are dressed formally -- but if people choose not to dress for the evening, it says more about the PAX than Celebrity or the other guests. That doesn't make me stuffy. We may even skip formal night one of the nights -- no big deal. But wouldn't want to miss out on lobster for DH usually on a formal night.

I agree Ma Bell. However because Celebrity has made up their own version of "formal wear" and then don't even expect that, it constantly is at issue.

We sat next to a couple from England...very "proper"... the first of the formal nights the gentleman chose to wear a tux. Dashing. The next formal night he wore a dark dark navy wool sport coat, charcoal dress pants, white shirt and club print bow tie. He was STILL dashing and quite handsome. His general appearance was no less "appropriate" than the night he wore his tux.

Since Celebrity, in their "allowing" sportscoats and ties into the "formal" night dinners, has blurred even their watered-down version of Formal even more.... who really cares if gentlemen choose the dark sportcoat and tie? It's their general appearance that is most important, don't you agree?

It's the "I refuse to put on a tie on my vacation" group that I don't understand.:rolleyes::eek:

I agree Ma Bell. However because Celebrity has made up their own version of "formal wear" and then don't even expect that, it constantly is at issue.

We sat next to a couple from England...very "proper"... the first of the formal nights the gentleman chose to wear a tux. Dashing. The next formal night he wore a dark dark navy wool sport coat, charcoal dress pants, white shirt and club print bow tie. He was STILL dashing and quite handsome. His general appearance was no less "appropriate" than the night he wore his tux.

Since Celebrity, in their "allowing" sportscoats and ties into the "formal" night dinners, has blurred even their watered-down version of Formal even more.... who really cares if gentlemen choose the dark sportcoat and tie? It's their general appearance that is most important, don't you agree?

It's the "I refuse to put on a tie on my vacation" group that I don't understand.:rolleyes::eek:

I do agree with what you describe. The only problem is that there are a lot of different kinds of sport coats and we all know where it goes from there. Next it's the horse blanket look and then a sport coat will morph into a windbreaker. LOL I just think that what is described by the people who wrote the code should be respected.

The reason the majority of the people you speak of wear what they wear is because it is indicated as appropriate according to "Celebrity's" dress code.

Sport coats are not part of their definition.[/quote.

There were plenty of sport coats on my last European Celebrity cruise on the 3 formal nights. Kilts, saris, and kimonos are not listed in the "rules" either, but those are considered formal in some people's cultures and there were plenty of diverse passengers wearing those, too. Much more sport coats or suits worn than tuxes and the gentlemen looked very well dressed and respectable.

Could you imagine how complicated that could be with club dining, having an upstairs and downstairs. Especially as people have set tables assigned to them. On the ships I have been on, not been an issue with dress code, most people make the effort. I say live and let live ..... most people do, but if you don't fancy dressing up, for that night there are always alternatives to MDR. I think you just need to make sure you are on the right ship. If you don't fancy dressing up, go for a cruise line like Ocean Village or Thompsons....

Will someone please tell me what is the minimum dress for guys typically seen in the DR on formal nights? I want to know the reality of what the guys who don't follow the exact dress code wear. Possibly a long sleeve dress shirt & dress pants without the jacket? Just what is being tolerated as still being acceptable these days?

Please don't post the published Celebrity dress code as I can find that on my own or the blurb about respecting my fellow passengers.

Archived