Cunard Introduces A La Carte Pricing For Diners

Joserus

Penny:

Take a serious look at Silverseas. We made the jump two years ago--to say that the passengers were old is an understatement. We are in our 50s and expected SOME entertainment after 9 p.m. The entire ship was in bed!! Otherwise, food and service were exceptional.

Doris

Has anyone worked out yet, that other more expensive lines are all inc, because they charge more, maybe an idea that Cunard could do, charge more and become all inc.

at least we have the choice to dine at a small cost or not, our choice, and paying all inc is no good if all your do is drink water or juice in the bars, again the choice on cunard if you want wine you pay, if you want juice or water you dont.

I like Brittania, but I also dont mind the small fee in TE and the Italian is great, this year we also tried the chefs galley and id be happy to pay a little extra, again we have the choice, silversea, well you have paid anyway even if you dont use it

Well said, Rob. I like that most everything is included on QM2/Cunard at a very good level for all, and that there are certain options (Grills, Britannia Club, Todd English, etc.) that you can decide whether or not to splurge on, from time to time -- or never. Ships/Lines that are truly all inclusive may be wonderful, and I look forward to trying some of them along the way, but if you are not a drinker, or eat lightly, you are, in a way, subsidizing the rest of the passengers. Having some choice can be fun, especially on longer trips. I think it is worth experimenting with some new options. If they aren't popular, or money makers for Cunard, they will not continue them. But if they are, well, then maybe everyone wins. Some lines do make you feel as if every time you turn around there is something you might think of as basic that a line now charges extra for as an add on. I have been on several where that became quite annoying. But I don't feel that on Cunard (certainly not yet, anyway:rolleyes:).

Best wishes, and I hope our paths cross again soon, most likely on the high seas!!

Jane:)

The cheapest options would be $28.

Indeed, but nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat three courses.

If you opt for a main course only, the cheapest option would be $16. Nearly half the flat rate $30 for TE.

J

Well said, Rob. I like that most everything is included on QM2/Cunard at a very good level for all, and that there are certain options (Grills, Britannia Club, Todd English, etc.) that you can decide whether or not to splurge on, from time to time -- or never. Ships/Lines that are truly all inclusive may be wonderful, and I look forward to trying some of them along the way, but if you are not a drinker, or eat lightly, you are, in a way, subsidizing the rest of the passengers. Having some choice can be fun, especially on longer trips. I think it is worth experimenting with some new options. If they aren't popular, or money makers for Cunard, they will not continue them. But if they are, well, then maybe everyone wins. Some lines do make you feel as if every time you turn around there is something you might think of as basic that a line now charges extra for as an add on. I have been on several where that became quite annoying. But I don't feel that on Cunard (certainly not yet, anyway:rolleyes:).

Best wishes, and I hope our paths cross again soon, most likely on the high seas!!

Jane:)

Thanks, and yes our paths will cross again i hope and I hope on Cunard, i still love the QM2 and hope to on one the world cruise in the next two or three years, we also will try silverseas,P&O, HAL, etc I want to try many different lines, BUT, my trying is not to nickle and dime my cruise or to pick bones with the service but to just try them, I think Cunard will be the one, also I think that the Crossing are going to be the way forward for us.

So you can CHOOSE whether you want 3 courses, or 2, or 1? And that's a dumb idea because......?

I see your point. But I guess I am constantly amazed at how people will spend $5000 a couple for a cruise vacation and worry about plus or minus $10 on the price of a meal. (Like people who will smuggle $20 of alcohol on board to save about $40 in cost on the ship). Similarly, I am amazed that Cunard can charge $5000 for a vacation and are concerned about milking an additional $10 out of a meal. To me, the glory of cruising is not worrying about these kinds of nickles and dimes. The more all-inclusive the vacation the better.

Indeed, but nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat three courses.

If you opt for a main course only, the cheapest option would be $16. Nearly half the flat rate $30 for TE.

J

True, but will you be "allowed" to just choose one course?

There have been times when I have wanted to have 2 portions of the appetizers as my main course (i.e Frogs legs with just the potatoes of that night) and I was told (in the Britannia )that it could not be done.

I did not understand why, -I was not asking for something not on the menu, - just a double portion serving in place of whatever the entrees were.

I think that anyone going into the Verandah will be told they only serve full meals, even though the items are priced individually. Also I would be interested to learn how many and what choice of each course will there be. Will the menu be outside for viewing?

Well I suppose we will just have to wait and see how things are arranged when QE finally comes out.

True, but will you be "allowed" to just choose one course?

Well ma'am, only time will tell us the answer to that question.

And if the answer turns out to be "no" then there is a very simple and direct course of action open to everyone who isn't possessed of rather more money than sense. Stay away from the place!

Personally I have never felt the urge to dine in TE for the simple reason that my brain (pathetic as it is) cannot envisage what I could possibly be served in there that was in any way, shape, or form better than what I would be served in the Britannia Restaurant (and, for which, I had already paid).

J

I see your point. But I guess I am constantly amazed at how people will spend $5000 a couple for a cruise vacation and worry about plus or minus $10 on the price of a meal. (Like people who will smuggle $20 of alcohol on board to save about $40 in cost on the ship). Similarly, I am amazed that Cunard can charge $5000 for a vacation and are concerned about milking an additional $10 out of a meal. To me, the glory of cruising is not worrying about these kinds of nickles and dimes. The more all-inclusive the vacation the better.

The problem is that if you pay $5,000 then you expect everything to be free (or at least at a heavily reduced price). I agree that an extra $10 is nothing to worry about but in TE it is not $10 it is actually $40 or $60 dollars per meal. Also since most voyages are many days that $60 for the meal plus the extra in drinks can easily end up being over $1,000.

Some people, myself included, like to know what we are going to spend in advance so that it can be properly budgeted for.

Peter

at least we have the choice to dine at a small cost or not, our choice, and paying all inc is no good if all your do is drink water or juice in the bars, again the choice on cunard if you want wine you pay, if you want juice or water you dont.

Can you just get a glass of tap water in the bar? I never like to ask so we often either don't go in and miss whatever is on, or we drink because we feel we should order something.

Can you just get a glass of tap water in the bar? I never like to ask so we often either don't go in and miss whatever is on, or we drink because we feel we should order something.

Yes you can just order iced water and its free:) I always have it with my lunch as I dont drink quite so early

I don't see that if the company provide the meals as advertised in their restaurants but then offer an alternative for an extra cost that there is anything to complain about. You can choose. The only caveat I can see is the perception which may arise that the restaurant meals are being downgraded in order to promote the alternative dining venues. Another point is that the speciality restaurants in Kings Court will carry a charge in the evenings. That is something that was and is free and very popular which is now having a charge imposed. And that does go against the grain I suppose because it is limiting a choice you now have to a choice based on cost. i.e. A diminution of services offered with no commensurate diminution in fee charged.

Concerning the charge for coffee in the bars, I have never been fortunate enough to travel Grills and doubt if I ever will (More's the pity). But out of curiosity I looked up some prices. A round trip in a duplex will cost approx £30,000pp high season. That is for 13 nights. That is £4602 a night. Now I don't know what the offers are or what discount you could get but taking a very generous view let's call it £3000 a night. And then you have to pay for a cup of coffee in a bar. The wonder is how they get away with it. (Incidentally does the purchase of the coffee carry the 15% gratuity?)

Gari

Yes you can just order iced water and its free:) I always have it with my lunch as I dont drink quite so early

Thanks Rob :) I'll summon up the courage not only to ask the waiter, but also persuade my husband that all is well if I do so. (Rob told me to do it :D)

I don't see that if the company provide the meals as advertised in their restaurants but then offer an alternative for an extra cost that there is anything to complain about. You can choose. The only caveat I can see is the perception which may arise that the restaurant meals are being downgraded in order to promote the alternative dining venues. Another point is that the speciality restaurants in Kings Court will carry a charge in the evenings. That is something that was and is free and very popular which is now having a charge imposed. And that does go against the grain I suppose because it is limiting a choice you now have to a choice based on cost. i.e. A diminution of services offered with no commensurate diminution in fee charged.

Concerning the charge for coffee in the bars, I have never been fortunate enough to travel Grills and doubt if I ever will (More's the pity). But out of curiosity I looked up some prices. A round trip in a duplex will cost approx £30,000pp high season. That is for 13 nights. That is £4602 a night. Now I don't know what the offers are or what discount you could get but taking a very generous view let's call it £3000 a night. And then you have to pay for a cup of coffee in a bar. The wonder is how they get away with it. (Incidentally does the purchase of the coffee carry the 15% gratuity?)

Gari

Kudos then to P&O marketing and the one desk Cunard has in California that handles the PR paperwork from P&O. That is insane to pay that much for a ship that is handled on every level by the Love Boat comapny.

Kudos then to P&O marketing and the one desk Cunard has in California that handles the PR paperwork from P&O. That is insane to pay that much for a ship that is handled on every level by the Love Boat comapny.

I agree that that is an insane price to pay (I will forever be in britannia too). But what has it got to do with who 'handles' the ship? As long as the ship offers what you want what does it matter who is behind it? I really don't understand your obsession with this. :confused:

Sarah

I agree that that is an insane price to pay (I will forever be in britannia too). But what has it got to do with who 'handles' the ship? As long as the ship offers what you want what does it matter who is behind it? I really don't understand your obsession with this. :confused:

Sarah

If Cunard has no say in the design of itself, its Commodore, its staffing, its service, its marketing . Then where is the Cunard in Cunard?

In the end its a brand invisioned and operated on every level by its own competition.

If Cunard has no say in the design of itself, its Commodore, its staffing, its service, its marketing . Then where is the Cunard in Cunard?

In the end its a brand invisioned and operated on every level by its own competition.

Like I said - it doesn't matter who is behind Cunard (not to me, anyway), it is the final product that I enjoy. Who operates it is not important, it is just a name. What I look for and enjoy is available in the final product marketed as 'Cunard'. Who has put the product together is not the important thing. That the final product meets my expectation of a cruise marketed as 'Cunard' is important to me.

Sarah

Savoia, I think there's a problem with your argument: If there is 'no Cunard in Cunard' (as you seem to be implying), then Cunard can't have any competition, right?

BTW, if I read your posts correctly, you haven't been on a Cunard ship since 1998. So, I hope you don't mind my asking, but why is Cunard so important to you?

Regards,

Salacia

Actually most of the Cunard senior mgt.staff has gone over to Saga Cruises. They may not be as elegant as Cunard(especially a few years back)but they definately adhere to the "proper British way" Too bad they don't cruise here in the US. You have to board them in Britain.

Thanks, and yes our paths will cross again i hope and I hope on Cunard, i still love the QM2 and hope to on one the world cruise in the next two or three years, we also will try silverseas,P&O, HAL, etc I want to try many different lines, BUT, my trying is not to nickle and dime my cruise or to pick bones with the service but to just try them, I think Cunard will be the one, also I think that the Crossing are going to be the way forward for us.

I am booked for the B2B TA's RT NY next August. Am really looking forward to having that many days at sea!! Looking forward to seeing you along the way, and also will be very interested in your feedback regarding the other lines you will be travelling on as well. I enjoy trying others, and look forward to doing this even more, but so far have enjoyed returning to Cunard the most. So far. Also would love to take a world cruise (or significant part of one) in three or four years or so, and am interested in the alternatives. I can dream, can't I?:)

I am booked for the B2B TA's RT NY next August. Am really looking forward to having that many days at sea!! Looking forward to seeing you along the way, and also will be very interested in your feedback regarding the other lines you will be travelling on as well. I enjoy trying others, and look forward to doing this even more, but so far have enjoyed returning to Cunard the most. So far. Also would love to take a world cruise (or significant part of one) in three or four years or so, and am interested in the alternatives. I can dream, can't I?:)

Dream all you want and try to make them come true, The wold cruise is the one I really want now, its a long time though, three months and we have decided that it will be 2013,unless we too start in 2012 with segments of it.

I will send you the info on other lines

Gari

I am sure it does carry the 15% tips. On the subject of other lines and food quality, we had a 14 day cruise around the med two year back with RCL, they also have other restaurants at a small charge, they we used a lot by people during the 14 days however the main restaurant meals were excelleant and if I dare say better than Cunard and the service was every bit as good as Cunard white star

Archived