Elegant Dressing: Who still does it?

comeon530

I don't get to dress up to often and I really do enjoy it. So I actually wear cocktail dresses every night to dinner. My fiance will be DH on next cruise enjoys wearing his suit to dinner. Then we usually go back to our room so that he can change. I usually just change my shoes.

Just off of Liberty and I did not see one tux. That does not mean there weren't any guys wearing one, but if there were, it was rare.

There were mostly shirts and ties for men. A few with jackets as well. Some dress down a little more, but still nice for the night and those people were accepted into the dinning rooms. I would say about 60% of the cruisers were dressed up as there were some who still in shorts, etc.

Just remember. As long as you dress as per the guidelines CCL has laid out as what is acceptable then all is good.

I don't think on any of my recent cruises that I have seen 80% of the people dressing up for elegant night, and my husband and I do dress up on elegant night. I would say that about that number of men wear tuxes/suits (more suits), or a dress shirt and tie. I think a shirt with no tie or polo shirt is about 15%. The remaining 5% dress quite casually.

I think for women, long dresses are not as much in style, and maybe 10% wear them. Short, dressy cocktail dresses were seen much more, maybe 40%. Church style dresses or outfits, about 30- 40%, and sundresses or more casual clothes were the rest for women. This is just a guesstimate. I imagine it varies for each cruise.

I wish I had been on the cruise with 80% of the people dressing up for formal night, because I like it. Dressing up is inside the suggested dress guideline for elegant nights and the change in the number of people dressing up is just a change in cruising. I just enjoy my evening and don't worry about what anyone else is wearing. I don't think anyone changed their mind on on this thread.

Just an observation - it seems that those who have traditional late seating tend to dress up more than any other group. Our last Ecstasy cruise in May at late seating there were lots of tuxes and dark suits and most women wore at least a cocktail dress. There were also quite a few long gowns. We were just heading back to the cabin to dress when early seating was lined up. They were not very dressed up.

I don't understand the resistance to dress elegantly at least once each cruise. For women even a simple knit LBD that you can roll in a ball, takes up very littl room in the suitcase and weighs very little can look great with just a few well chosen accessories.

If you want to talk "formal" then flash back to our first cruises in 1968 and 1969. On all sea nights it was formal. Men had to wear a tux (or white dinner jacket if in the tropics) and the ladies wore long evening gowns, long white gloves, and mink stoles or jackets. On semi-formal evenings a business suit was acceptable attire for men and women wore cocktail dresses. On "Casual" evenings the men had to wear a jacket and tie and the women wore pantsuits or dresses. On a 14 night cruise we managed to take it all in 1 medium size suitcase per person plus a garment bag with the mink and the evening dresses and another for the tux, dinner jacket, suit and sportcoat. Those were the days!

Formal night on Carnival No wife beaters for the guys and don't turn your baseball cap around backwards. For the girls no bathing suites and flip-flops. Not as many people dress up as they used to. I still love to see people lookin good on formal night. I think it gives a good vibe to the whole ship. So please take pride in your dress up night and have your picture taken in your finest. Smile and have a good time for life is short..:)

Reading this discussion has inspired me to buy tuxes for my three guys - 18 yr old, 16 yr old, and 51 year old hubby! We are going on the Conquest right before Christmas and I think it will be fun to dress to the 9's for elegant night(s). My 15 yr old daughter and I will wear gowns or cocktail dresses. I'm looking forward to the family pictures.

This will be the kids' first cruise. I am sure the 16 year old will get my moneys worth out of a tux - he has 2 proms in the next 2 years! The 18 year old may have to start cruising to get my money out of his, unless he joins a fraternity at college and has formals to dress for. Hubby just looks good in a tux, he owns one, but he has, shall we say, outgrown it, so it's time for a new one.

:)

Dh is renting a tux next cruise. It will save on the number of bags we check and we don't have to worry about wrinkle, etc. It' not a bad price for the whole cruise, 8 days. I have 2 beautiful dresses from 2 of my kids' weddings I want to wear again. So I'm excited to bring them along. We don't care if we are the only ones in 'formal attire'. This is also the only time we take professional photos as a couple.:D

I don't want this to be an argument or discussion of the dress code. I'm just wondering how many people still like to dress up for dinner on Carnival cruises. I enjoy wearing and seeing others in their cocktail dresses and formal gowns. I'm planning to wear a gown on my next cruise. Am I alone in this?

We love to dress up for elegant nights. Fancy dresses for me and tux for my husband.

I don't want this to be an argument or discussion of the dress code. I'm just wondering how many people still like to dress up for dinner on Carnival cruises. I enjoy wearing and seeing others in their cocktail dresses and formal gowns. I'm planning to wear a gown on my next cruise. Am I alone in this?

I wore a cocktail dress on formal night & a dress every night to dinner. Most people seem to have done the same. DH dressed in a suit most nights. I have already bought my 7 yr old's tux for our April 2012 cruise (he LOVES to wear suits).

One of the reasons we do not cruise on the luxury ships is because of the Formal Dress requirement. I do not want to have to spend every night getting ready for dinner. Tux and Suits everynight. For me, Syle hair, make up, nails, cocktail dress, heels, matching bags. No thank you, we dress nice on carnival, him slacks and polo's or button down. Me, slacks & blouse, skirts & blouse, dresses. I told hubby he does not have to wear jacket if he did not want to this year. We do not think more or less of those who choose Formal, we just choose to cruise for relaxation

I will wear dressy attire, my DH will wear business attire including jacket. We dress for our own enjoyment. How others dress doesn't affect me at all. On all of our cruises we have had tables for our party only, be it for 2 or 4.

My question to those who continue to dress up, are you flying to your cruise port. We live in NY and our last 4 cruises left from Florida (3x) and California. We are constantly under the gun with the weight requirement for our luggage. Adding a suit, tie, shirt and shoes along with my wife’s gown and accessories compounds the problem. Then on the return flight after all of our purchases will put us over. Then the question arises- should we pay for a third piece of luggage. I have for the last 4 cruises worn a pair of Dockers and nice dress shirt. It’s not that I don’t want to get dressed I just hate to give the airlines more money.

I'm fortunate to live in Florida so the weight requirements not a problem (except when we did Mediterranean cruises :eek:). My DH wears a dark suit and I usually wear a cocktail dress. This year I'll wear a long dress that my MIL & FIL gave me for the cruise (and they are coming). First time doing that. It's nice after being all sweaty, salty, and sun-kissed to dress up. Once dinner is over and we take a few pictures, we usually change and then continue our evening activities (in more comfy clothes -- unless we go to the show). It's nice to see everyone dressed up -- just glad that it's NOT every night. :D

I love to dress up for formal night! I don't have an evening gown but I wear a dressier dress and usually do my hair up and of course heels! my daugher loves to dress up too! My husaband is a bit different. I'm happy if I can get him into a dinner jacket and tie!

We are booked on the Magic in December and if I hit my weight goal my husband is going to buy me an evening gown for formal night!!! So maybe he will dress up a bit more! ;)

Archived