Thoughts for an afternoon in Genoa

md115

We'll be in Genoa for only 10 hours (on a Monday).

Hopefully, we'll take a train to Camogli in the morning, spend several hours there, then spend the afternoon walking in Genoa.

Our tentative plans for Genoa are to explore the area surrounding the Piazza Ferrari, Piazza San Matteo and the San Lorenzo Cathedral.

We'll walk back to the port (20-25 minute walk per Google maps) along the Harbor.

Given our very limited time, do you think this is a reasonable plan?

Museums are closed on Monday (I think), and although I know the aquarium is very nice, I'm not interested in visiting during this trip.

Finally, is the walk along the harbor worthwhile?

A review in the NYT recommended a "harbor walk", but I haven't been able to find other comments.

Thanks!

I think it sounds like a lovely day. Camogli is only about a half hour away by train, with fairly frequent trains, so it will be easy to get there and back.

Genoa has a lot to offer - the city has a good web site with a large English language section here: http://turismo.comune.genova.it/spip.php?rubrique60

When we were there on a cruise stop several years ago (5?), I wasn't all that impressed with the waterfront area, but I see from google street view that there has been a fair amount of construction so I imagine it's quite different now.

Your plan sounds great. We found Genoa to be a very nice city. It is very organized unlike some of the other larger cities in Italy. I would walk around some of the street that are about a ten minute walk from the pier and walking along the waterfront area is fine as well.

Enjoy!

Keith

Genoa has done a great job renovating the port and ajacent harbor area. The aquarium is truly world-class and rivals the Aquarium in Balitmore. The harbor area is quite nice and includes some nice walkways, cafes, etc.

Hank

Archived