Is it cold in Canada in September?

I booked a cruise for labor day weekend and I was wondering how's the weather in Canada.:confused:

Considering Canada is much larger than the United States, it would greatly help if you said where in Canada you were cruising....

However, if it helps,

Lytton BC recorded a temperature of: 38.7C (101.7F) in Sep 1988

Inuvik NT recorded a temperature of: -20.1C (-4F) in Sep 1983

So, it's going to be somewhere in between

I booked a cruise for labor day weekend and I was wondering how's the weather in Canada.:confused:

For Saint John and Halifax, look for pleasant temps of daytime low of 55-60 in the morning going up to 70 to 75. A light jacket would be wise just in case.

Igloo making only starts in October so you will be fine. :rolleyes:

Just google the weather for your ports a few days before you leave and that will give you a better idea of what you should expect.

Igloo making only starts in October so you will be fine. :rolleyes:

Just google the weather for your ports a few days before you leave and that will give you a better idea of what you should expect.

Actually we're starting to build our igloos early this year in Calgary :-) But then we aren't a port of call for cruise ships so I guess the OP need not be concerned about our weather.

OP - where are you coming from and where in Canada are you going, that will help us let you know if you will find it "cold".

In all seriousness the weather in Eastern Canada - along the Eastern Seaboard and Maritimes will be very similiar to the US eastern seaboard and Maine, New Hampshire etc and the weather on the west coast will be similar to Oregon and Washington - Alaska could be cool though.

Cheers

Dennis

For those who have signatures turned off, the OP is sailing on the Carnival Glory the beginning of the September. You can hope for what we would consider warm days and cool nights. Bring long & short sleeved shirts and shorts as well as long pants. Check out the weather here as you get closer to your cruise.

For Halifax http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?ns-40&unit=i

Saint John http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?nb-23&unit=i

You could also get torrential rains if the remnants of a Hurricane happens to be in the area.

Our motto for volunteers during the recent winter Olympics here in Vancouver was EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED or as Lord Baden Powell said many years ago BE PREPARED.

If Florida can get frost and Atlanta snow in the wintertime Atlantic Canada could be sunny and warm or rainy and cool.

Cheers

Dennis

Our motto for volunteers during the recent winter Olympics here in Vancouver was EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED or as Lord Baden Powell said many years ago BE PREPARED.

Dennis

My Dad follows that BE PREPARED Motto, being an Eagle Scout and very involved with scouting.

"yes and no snow in the rockies for the olympics"

Yes I seem to remember that there was a problem with the snow at Nasika during the Calgary Olympics which where held in the Rockies.

Whistler had twice their usual amount - Cypress had a a good early season dump and then the warmer weather hit. But the blue jackets etc did an exceptional job getting the mountain prepared for those Gold Medal performance by the Canadians. In talking to some of the athlete's during the Paralympics such things like lack of snow, fog, too warm, wet, windy are part of the process and they take them in stride - it's us spectators and media that make a mountain out of a molehill.

FYI - both Cypress and Whistler are part of the the Coast Range of Mountains - the Rockies are 4 mountain ranges and about 700 KMS east of Vancouver.

FYI - the other mountain ranges are the Cascades, Monashees, Purcells and Selkirks - great country to hike and ski in.

Cheers

Dennis

Actually Nakiska had no problems with snow during the Calgary Olympics; the issue was at Canada Olympic Park (home to bobsled, ski jump, etc.). We had a Chinook hit on day two of the '88 Olympics and that's where the snow/ice starting melting. But as Vancouver did, we too managed to get all the events in and everyone went away happy.

Quebec had the very first snow of the winter on 22nd October last year so you will probably be safe in September.:D

Where in the heck in Quebec was that? We haven't had snow in Montreal in October in years. Maybe Charlevoix? James Bay? Blanc Sablon?

Thanks cruiseryyc for the clarification - I knew it was one of the venues but mostly I was trying to educate our eastern poster that the Vancouver Games had nothing to do with being held in the Rockies so a little educational lesson was delivered.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived