Mexican Riviera or Caribbean?? Need help choosing...

momof4girls

OK...so I thought we were all decided on our August 2012 family vacation. We decided we would do a Caribbean cruise. We've already decided to cruise on Carnival. Then tonight we started looking at the Mexican Riviera, and now we are undecided on which place to go.

A little background...at the time we travel, we will have two teenager dd's and two younger dd's (elementary school age). We have NEVER been on a family vacation. None of us have been to either area, although in January I will be visiting the Bahamas (which isn't exactly the same thing). The prices are comparable enough too.

I understand that everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and what one person may want for their family, someone else might not want. So I'm just curious to see what everyone will have to say. I'm not sure when we will go on another family vacation, so think of this as a one-time deal type of thing.

I will say that the itinerary of having 3 days at sea on the Mexican Riviera is more appealing than the more port heavy cruise on the Caribbean.

I don't know if you guys are into snorkeling and/or beaches, but they're not even close when comparing Mexico (Pacific side) and Caribbean. That's a big thing holding us back from booking Mexican Riviera.

I like sea days and am not a big fan of port intensive, which is why we're just relaxing on the beach for the majority of ports on this cruise coming up in January. Otherwise just booking morning excursions and planning to be back onboard for your own "sea day" is also a possibility.

Good luck!

The only reason we do the Mexican Riviera is the cost is so much less (because we don't have to fly). If the Carib cost even a little more, we'd do that in a heartbeat. We always enjoy our Mexico cruises, but in my opinion, the ports and the water don't come close to the Carib. The Pacific does not have that gorgeous shade of blue and is much more choppy.

Even as a woman alone with kids, I always feel safe wandering in the Mexico ports, and we enjoy the activities, but I can't wait until I can afford to show my kids the Carib. If the costs are similar for you, I don't think it's even a close choice - do the Carib.

Best,

Mia

I wouldn't even consider Mexico, even though for us it's much less expensive. The water is cold, it's not clear, and I don't like the ports. Three days at sea there is not appealing. The way back north will be choppy.

In the Caribbean, the water is warm and clear, the beaches nice, and we don't take any excurions, we just spend relaxing time on the beach.

We like the Mexican Riviera when the cruise ship itself is the vacation - just sit back and relax. If the ports are the vacation, then choose the Caribbean. IMHO

Take a look at the excursions offered for the different ports you are considering and then you can make a decision based on what your family would most enjoy. (Doesn't mean you have to take the ship's tours, just gives you a good idea of the options available for the day in each port).

Just remember, you don't HAVE to get off the ship in every port, if you don't want to! The ship is actually very nice on port days, when everyone else is ashore!

The Caribbean is a much nicer destination...warmer, prettier, and fun!

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I really was leaning more towards the Caribbean, to be honest. While we have never been on a cruise, we aren't going to be big into doing a lot of excursions. It gets VERY expensive when you are paying for six people! :eek: I know that my girls will have a blast just swimming in the ocean, playing on a beach, swimming in pools, etc. These are things they NEVER get to do. We've already told our older girls that they will get to choose one "big" excursion (whether that be swimming with dolphins, etc.) and then the rest will just be more laid back. They seemed plenty thrilled, as they are just excited for the cruise part.

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I really was leaning more towards the Caribbean, to be honest. While we have never been on a cruise, we aren't going to be big into doing a lot of excursions. It gets VERY expensive when you are paying for six people! :eek: I know that my girls will have a blast just swimming in the ocean, playing on a beach, swimming in pools, etc. These are things they NEVER get to do. We've already told our older girls that they will get to choose one "big" excursion (whether that be swimming with dolphins, etc.) and then the rest will just be more laid back. They seemed plenty thrilled, as they are just excited for the cruise part.

If I recall from other threads, you were considering several different carribean cruises. Given this information, I would definitely go with one that includes Grand Turk and Half Moon Caye - you won't have to spend a penny to have a blast. Check out the Liberty - it also goes to San Juan - which can be done very cheaply with just a walk down town. Then you could splurge in St. Thomas.

If I recall from other threads, you were considering several different carribean cruises. Given this information, I would definitely go with one that includes Grand Turk and Half Moon Caye - you won't have to spend a penny to have a blast. Check out the Liberty - it also goes to San Juan - which can be done very cheaply with just a walk down town. Then you could splurge in St. Thomas.

Thank you!! I will definitely check out the Liberty! :)

Archived