Can't decide Ventura or Oceana

dreamweaver767

Don't you hate choices, last year went to the Caribbean on Ventura second time on her and as per usual was blommin fantastic. Anyhow hooked on returning to the Caribbean this year and the itinerary is a tad different on the Venture, but also seen one for the Panama canal transit on the Oceana.

Not an issue trying out the Panama trip but I really like the Ventura for her size and goings on, just a bit hesitant on trying out a smaller ship wondering if it will live up to the Ventura, anybody been on both and can give some info.

Many thanks

Andy

Yes I've been on both. Ventura is a big ship I agree with lots going on (as is Azura ) Oceana is smaller, but then has less passengers so its all relative. There are only 2 shows a night on Oceana, held after each sitting. I did like having a pre-dinner show on Azura/Ventura. As we managed to see the show. go to 2nd sitting dinner, then see a comedian or tribute band after. So lots to do.

A hard choice, but is it time for a change? I don't think you will be disappointed by Oceana.

I much prefer Ventura, I found Oceana very dark inside and a bit closed in.

As Libralass said not so much going on on Oceana either.

I suppose it all depends on wither you think of the ship as your destination or your ports of call.

Andy: like you, I've been on Ventura twice and have enjoyed it very much. Indeed, we've booked a third cruise in her. In our case, however, it's the itineraries that have kept bringing us back to her as much as anything.

For me, the Panama Canal transit would be a big draw. One thing is certain and that is that Ventura will never do this transit - she's too big. Of course the Panama Canal is being 'widened' - I believe new locks are being built at each end (it's the locks that are the limiting factor) - but the experience of going through the new locks, when they're available, will be very different, I think. So if it was me, I'd choose the canal transit on Oceana.

Last January Arcadia and Oriana transited the canal together (at least, for the first section). I picked up some Panama Canal webcam images, and some links to other blogs about it, and posted it all here. Have a look, especially at the onwards links. Then later in the month Oceana & Artemis met each other in the canal, going in oposite directions: again, here's a post about it.

Thanks for the info Tom, kindly appreciated. Tis true the Panama is the one I am being drawn to, but keep thinking I will regret when I book not to be on the Ventura. but there again I might enjoy a different ship will keep you all posted on the decision.

Andy

Andy,

My first ever cruise was on Ventura in her maiden season and so, for that reason, everything was fantastic. I think everybody's first cruise was.

As you say you have been on Ventura so you know all about her.

Last year I tried Oceana for one of the 7 night city break type cruises and enjoyed it so much I booked the same itinerary again as soon as I got home. There was just something about the Oceana that made her feel more homely and 'lived-in' if you get my meaning. She is obviously older and smaller but that somehow made me feel more comfortable. The cabins are obviously smaller and more dated and the balconies look like someone just decided to cut holes in the steel plate as an afterthought but she just felt right. So if you want ultra-modern facilities and spacious cabins and all-singing all-dancing interactive TV stick with Ventura (itinerary permitting) but if you want something a bit more subtle and charming try the old girl.......................

Pete.

The Panama cruise they say is fantastic, and Oceana is a good ship, and as mentioned you won't be able to do it on Ventura. So if you fancy that cruise why not try it?

We went on Oceana last September to Fjords, some photos here of that cruise with quite a few of the ship:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/OceanaAugust2009FjordsCruise?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSenbjJ_a7hXQ#5378441032851422274

Have you had a look at James Cusick's Blog? He's currently the Executive Purser n Oceana, after doing the same job on Arcadia for several years. This last 18 months or so he's been doing a 'marketing blog' which , now that he's moved to Oceana, has featured a number of images of the ship. Here's a link.

Hi Andy

Having been on Oceana 3 times I can assure you that she is a great ship. Yes, she is smaller than Ventura but still a good size, big enough to still find those quiet corners when you need them but small enough to have a more friendly feel. We're going on the Panama Canal cruise in November and I cannot wait. We haven't been on her for 4 years so doubtless she may have aged a little, but the itinerary and our past experience made it an easy decision to choose this particular cruise.

Whatever you decide all the best.

Damian

I really enjoyed Oceana, whereas I would have to be paid to travel on Ventura again! It's horses for courses though. Yes, there will be less going on on Oceana but then does one need to be entertained every single minute - I enjoy just chatting to fellow passengers. If you do like the constant entertainment, then Ventura will suit you better.

• 4 months later...
The Panama cruise they say is fantastic, and Oceana is a good ship, and as mentioned you won't be able to do it on Ventura. So if you fancy that cruise why not try it?

We went on Oceana last September to Fjords, some photos here of that cruise with quite a few of the ship:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/OceanaAugust2009FjordsCruise?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSenbjJ_a7hXQ#5378441032851422274

Fantastic photos :) I was on the Black Watch ship pictured on your first photos of the ships at Southampton. This was my first cruise with my mum. Our weather in Bergen was horrendous, we didn't even bother going up the funnicular :(, you look like you had a sunny day.

Our trip back across the North Sea would have probably been the same day as you, & we hit that storm.

We both enjoyed the cruise that we have booked to go back up to the Fjords on 30th April, this time on the Oceana :D I was a bit worried about sailing on her, as I thought she might not have lots of open deck like the BW has, but your photos have out me at ease & I can't wait to show them to my mum. We have an inside cabin, so I envy you your balcony ;)

Thank you.

As Ventura traveller...like Tom, booked for our 3rd time...I can't help much, except to say that our first ever cruise was on Oceana's twin sister, Sea Princess, and I found her size perfect....

although I suppose your first cruise is usually pretty perfect....:rolleyes:

Jo.

Don't you hate choices, last year went to the Caribbean on Ventura second time on her and as per usual was blommin fantastic. Anyhow hooked on returning to the Caribbean this year and the itinerary is a tad different on the Venture, but also seen one for the Panama canal transit on the Oceana.

Not an issue trying out the Panama trip but I really like the Ventura for her size and goings on, just a bit hesitant on trying out a smaller ship wondering if it will live up to the Ventura, anybody been on both and can give some info.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

Gordon here. Like you, we loved Ventura. As you know we were worried about her size, after OV ships. Now, Jenny is not sure she wants to downsize. Having said that, Cameron and Ruth(remember them) went on Oceana last year and thought she was a great ship.

Trying to persuade Jenny to go again next year.

Love to Alison

I really enjoyed Oceana, whereas I would have to be paid to travel on Ventura again! It's horses for courses though. Yes, there will be less going on on Oceana but then does one need to be entertained every single minute - I enjoy just chatting to fellow passengers. If you do like the constant entertainment, then Ventura will suit you better.

Could not agree more. Oceana is a more intimate and friendly ship. I would not step onboard Ventura again, just cold in comparison to Oceana for me.

And don't get me started on the Ventura sunbed problem!

Gerry

What great photos. We would love to do the fjords but at the moment we can't get a trip to coincide with the school holidays so we will put that down on our wish list for the future. We are looking at the Oceana for Easter however and your photos certainly make the ship look beautiful which is great as I have recently read it looks a little worn in places. We have been on the Crown Princess and there are definitely similarities in the photos as an ex-Princess ship. There is a sign in one of your photos saying only formal wear after 6pm for the bar, is that just on formal night? or does it mean smart clothes?

thanks

Archived