Cabin choice Nautica-Obstructed view, how bad?

KathiB

My husband and another couple are looking at booking Oct 25, Rome-Athens next fall. My friends really want to save some money on the cabin choice but want to have a window for light and a little view would be nice. How bad are the obstructed views for E cabins on deck 6? Seems like they would be only steps away from others in B1 cabins but do the life boats completely block the view? My husband and I are thinking of C1 or C2 and possibly B1 or B2. We would love to save money as I know we will not be in the cabin much but may spring for a veranda. Any advice on the above questions is appreciated. This will be everyones first time on a Oceania ship. Any other insider tips would be great. Thanks!

The lifeboats pretty much obstruct the view, yes. Also, understand that these cabins are small, and rather narrow due to the fact that the lifeboats take up some of the space. I know there is more information on size and layout on some other threads. We like the B categories (all the same except the B1 are mid-ship more or less). They are exactly the same as A cabins but without the Concierge services which we don't care about. I don't know how much difference there is in price between the obstructed and a normal oceanview cabin, but they should think carefully about it, in my view. I have to tell you that I am very fussy about my cabin and maybe I spend more time than "normal" (whatever that means) in mine - I enjoy sitting on the verandah rather than anywhere else on sea days reading or just relaxing after running around that day. I hope you enjoy Oceania as much as we do.

Thank you for your reply. I really am leaning towards the veranda which I have enjoyed in the past. The cruise we are looking at has no sea days though. My friends really are looking at saving money so I may recommend the C Cat. so they can at least see something out their window. I am wondering how bad the inside cabins are? Some of the ones on deck 7 & 8 look quite large. This would be a way to save money as well. I have had verandas for other Med. cruises but when I think about it, I don't remember really spending that much time on it. Especially for a cruise with no sea days where you are up and out by 8:00am everyday it may not be worth it. Just considering the options. Keep the suggestions coming!

I think an inside cabin on a very port intensive cruise makes sense for someone who would like to save money.

You will spend most of your day out of your cabin (eating, touring, socializing, shows, etc).

Most days on a busy cruise you just use the cabin to sleep in (when the lack of window is of no importance - perhaps even helpful).

A balcony or oceanview is nice, but if price is important, I think an inside would be OK.

I would not want an inside on a trans atlantic with all those sea days.

Ultimately, it depends on how much time they plan on spending in the cabin vs around the ship (and off the ship).

JMO.

I was with two other couples on our Mediterranean cruise on the Insignia. They had balconies (one CC class, one PH). We opted for an outside (deluxe unobstructed) precisely because there were no sea days.

Guess what? They never used those balconies and regretted spending the extra money. We were up early every day in port, and in the late afternoons spend time together on the outdoor deck areas. The balconies on O are like postage stamps and the outdoor areas were places where we could mingle with other cruisers.

I think an O port intensive cruise in one where you will not miss the balcony. In fact, I could have done that cruise in an inside cabin.

It's not that I don't like balconies -- I'm off to Tahiti on the PG in 10 days and I will be sipping mai tais on my veranda. But for O where you are in port every day, save your money

Yes, the view is pretty well completely blocked, unless you book the two most forward Category E's. In either 6030 or 6033, the obstruction consists of a single davit.

The thing that would concern me, however, about putting people who have never cruised into a Category E is that they are (at 143 square feet), the smallest cabins on a ship that is not known for its' spaciious cabins.

We have taken two cruises in 6033, both port-intensive Med cruises. The obstruction is minimal, as there is only a small launch there and it is below room level. The room is quite small, but it is very well laid out with as much storage as the other non-suite cabins. We tend to spend little time in the cabin, usually being on shore, on the pool deck or in the library so the small size didn't bother us too much. Personally, I wouldn't trade the light and view for the additional space of an inside room. The location of 6033 is also very good, one flight to main dining and entertainment and right by an elevator for evrything else. Also quite quiet and as motion free as possible if the sea kicks up.

We took one cruise on Nautica with a veranda (good deal on an up-sale). it was nice, especially for the sail in to Malta and when we cruised along the Italian coast, but hardly essential. I don't think we would pay full price for a veranda, but it's a matter of personal choice.

Kathi,

I have the unique perspective of having cruised on Oceania in both and inside cabin and in a concierge class balcony...I also hung out one night having drinks with some people in one of those "obstructed view" window cabins...

Now, I love balcony cabins--mostly for the light airy feeling as well as the ability to step outside for some fresh air and a view...

But, yes, it adds a great deal of cost to the cruise...So, if one is budget conscious, one can save a whole lot of money by dropping down to an INSIDE cabin...I have cruised ion one on Oceania and found it to be quite comfortable...You don't have a window, but, if you are like me and mostly use the cabin for sleeping and for changing clothes, then the window really doesn't matter all that much...it will be black most of the time you are in your cabin anyway...

OTOH, I would NEVER opt for that obstructed view window...The cabin is considerably smaller than even the inside...and, to me, space is valuable...The night I had the drinks in the window cabin, it was very evident that the place seemed almost cluttered--not enough room to move around, no sofa, etc. Luckily, the person with that cabin was a solo traveler...two in the room might have been difficult...

The inside cabin, OTOH, was ample in size and laid out similarly to a balcony cabin--just that it had a wall where the balcony should be...

The choice for me would always be balcony vs. inside leaving those windows out of the equation...Save money or go for the open balcony...no compromise...

Archived