Box of wine

So as not to offend the sensibilities of the RCL board, I am asking here - has anyone taken box of wine on board in a suitcase? how/where did you pack? In box or out?

And for those who scoff, box of wine can be very good - the black box merlot reserve and the fish eye pinot are very good.

Have you bee caught with box of wine? how?

I only cruise HAL, and they let you bring as much wine as you'd like onboard. Agree the box wines are just fine - have a box of the Target brand pinot grigio in the fridge right now!

Sue/WDW1972

Zuiderdam 11/23/10

Eurodam 3/5/11

We pack box wine in our suitcases, safer than packing bottles. It's the thrill of the game to see if you can get it through, so far we've been successful!. Wrap the box in a plastic bag just to be safe, layer it between your clothing and shoes :) Good luck!

I wondered about boxed wine as well. Carnival lets you carry on a 750ml bottle of wine, but some boxes hold much more than that. Many are equal to 4 reg sized bottles. I'd like to carry on a wine box, since I found one I really like, but wonder if the size will be questioned at embarkation. I'd hate for it to be held until the end of the cruise. What do you guys think?

The wine in a box is exactly the same as what's in a bottle....I like it, too!

That is like saying that all wine is the same. There's a huge range of wine, horrible to spectacular. I think most wine lovers would agree that the producers making the best wines don't package it in boxes. There may be good wines in boxes, but not great ones.

Not offended here! Franzia Chard in the fridge. :D

And yes, we have taken boxed wine on several trips. Here's what we did, as to "hide" it as best as possible. I have a large plastic zippered container that I keep all our toiletries in (it's one of those clear zippered things that table linens or sheets would often time be packed in). Anyway, I take the bladder of wine out of the box and simply "insert" it amongst all the other liquid toiletries. Figured as it went through scanner, harder to detect between all the other gurgly liquid stuff. It's always made it to our room. :D

Next trip is Princess...so no issue in "hiding"

Good luck!

• 5 months later...

We usually bring 2 boxes of wine with us. My wife likes Pinot Noir and I bring a cab, usually black box but I think I will be going with the Target this time. Never got caught and our attendant always brings us a few wine glasses so we dont' have to use the plastic cups.

Never thought of breaking the box down, but will most likely keep it in the box for added support. It would be awful to have the bladder break in the suitcase.

• 1 month later...
The last cruise we went on (ten days) we packed a box of wine in my carry-on. Plus we only take one carry-on each and no checked bag. You must be over packing.

Please, please, please tell me how to pack like that. I really want to go light and I just keep thinking I need lots of clothing. We are going to Bermuda the end of May and I worry I will need summer and spring clothes. I need some packing help! :) Sue

Archived