Do men really hate wearing suits?

elena7seas

I agree, no suits, no jackets! Shaving, why bother. Heck, even washing your hands is a burden. And those serving utensils at the buffet, they just take more time than using your hands. I agree, no rules, no decoram. My motto is 'Laissez Faire'. Even if there are rules or social customs, who cares. I only follow the rules/customs I like. Of course I would prefer that everyone else also follow the rules/customs I like. :)

Isn't that precious!

I agree with you on that!

There appears to be two contingencies: one that wishes the cruiseline to maintain the status quo regarding formalwear and another who would prefer Smart Casual. I guess we will have to "wait and see" to learn the outcome. So far' date=' it seems that the cruiseline is on the fence, not wanting to discourage anyone from sailing with them.[/quote']

We totally agree. They need to fill their ships and we don't think they want to alienate anyone from either side of this issue.

We totally agree. They need to fill their ships and we don't think they want to alienate anyone from either side of this issue.

Not to begrudge the point but you've hit the nail on the head. Celebrity NEEDS full ships in order to profit. The question is what combination will it take to get there?

I have nothing against formal attire but I prefer sporty casual - when talking about the Caribbean. On Med cruises it can be somewhat different due to cultural differences.

I am against sloppy attire for any evenings period.

What is Celebrity's target demographic group? Let's be honest boomers...so, if I were in charge (which I'm not) I'd do lots of intensive survey groups and get feedback.

That is why, in my opinion, threads like this would be very valuable to management groups wishing to put their 'pulse' on their clientele. So it's not about do I want this or that....but WHY you select your choices.

I think a lot of men do not like to wear ties because they don't have shirts that are fitted for their neck size. Its that top button, not the tie, that tends to choke them.

Please don't flame me-- I'm an oversize cruiser myself--sooooooooo--my question/thought is-- the reason so many men say they are sooooooo uncomfortable in their suits is because they are larger size men and perhaps their suits don't accomodate their girth?? There are many stores that sell larger size clothes including suits that can be bought on sale or even 2 for 1. Also, men--did you know you can rent a tux from the cruiseline and it will be fitted for you onboard the ship. No need to carry the extra clothes. Last time I checked it was $85 for a 7 night cruise.

I honestly think the movement towards casual clothes for both men and women is because our larger bellies and rolls feel more comfortable in less restrictive clothing. :eek:

I suspect X is reluctant to change to smart casual because unfortunately today too many people don't seem to understand "smart casual" and you will see shorts, t-shirts, knit shirts, jeans, cargo pants etc for men and jeans, tees, halter tops and shorts for women. Unfortunately today for most of us, "give us a finger and will take the arm". Formal wear has evolved as per the discussions on this thread, what do you really think would happen if it was replaced by "smart" or "elegant" casual??

I don't want to debate anything...I'd just like to hear why some men are objecting to wearing suits?

I wore a suit every weekday for decades.

Now I wear them to funerals and weddings and love the change. It is much more comfortable for me NOT to wear a suit.

I WILL adhere to the dress code on the ship, but you asked why some men do not like wearing suits, so there...lol.

I suspect X is reluctant to change to smart casual because unfortunately today too many people don't seem to understand "smart casual" and you will see shorts, t-shirts, knit shirts, jeans, cargo pants etc for men and jeans, tees, halter tops and shorts for women. Unfortunately today for most of us, "give us a finger and will take the arm". Formal wear has evolved as per the discussions on this thread, what do you really think would happen if it was replaced by "smart" or "elegant" casual??

Well, I don't recall seeing shorts, halter tops (except on evening gowns), raggedy jeans, etc. in the MDR on ANY of the cruise lines I have been on (even Carnival in the Med), only in the buffets. I think most people dress pretty much according to smart casual and above, unless it is in the Carribbean. I can't comment on the Carribbean because I have not cruised the Carribbean in ages. We cruise the longer European or transatlantic cruises. I think the majority of people know to dress decently for dinner in the MDR or specialty restaurants.

Also, men--did you know you can rent a tux from the cruiseline and it will be fitted for you onboard the ship.

Don't count on it. I tried to go that route, and called the supplier directly; they laughed when I told them what size I needed.

I find that after laying/playing in the sun all day, my body radiates a lot of heat. Then to put on a t-shirt, dress shirt, and then a jacket, with a restrictive tie, I am about ready to explode when wearing a suit. I love the Smart Casual nights.

I love wearing a finely tailored suit with a great shirt and tie. Even more I love wearing a tux,particularly on a cruise. Besides that i find it to be a babe magnet.

I am in a minority I know,but in today's world I'd rather be an independent thinker than to follow the crowd.

It also that it is a slippery slope from casual to sloppy. That is clearly evident on cruises.

I find that after laying/playing in the sun all day, my body radiates a lot of heat. Then to put on a t-shirt, dress shirt, and then a jacket, with a restrictive tie, I am about ready to explode when wearing a suit. I love the Smart Casual nights.

Have never worn an undershirt, never understood why anyone would.

Ties don't need to be restrictive, you just tie it to the tightness of the collar, so if your shirt fits, the tie is completely unnoticeable.

Hi,

I value dressing up for the level of respect it shows for the event itself, and for the people attending the event. Don't flame me, that's just the way my parents raised me. I still dress for church and often am the only one there wearing a suit. I know I'm of another era....

Hence I've always worn suits to things and still at my "advanced" age (50s) enjoy wearing suits. Packing is not an issue..., my 22" carry-on has a compartment in the lid specially made for a suit.

Bridge Maven, you must live in a unique area of the country. In the region I live attitudes/practices are much more casual about funerals. It's been years since I've seen the majority of folk wearing dark clothes to funerals, let alone suits.

Count me among the "suits."

CM

I am no fan of suits either, For a lot of the reasons mentioned here.

I also agree with you about funerals. Around here they are getting to be more "celebrations of life" than "funerals" as they were known.

There are exceptions of course, but several of the past few I have been to, many of the immediate family weren't even in black, let alone the majority of attendees

Have never worn an undershirt, never understood why anyone would.

Ties don't need to be restrictive, you just tie it to the tightness of the collar, so if your shirt fits, the tie is completely unnoticeable.

A couple of reasons to wear an undershirt. If you are wearing a thin dress shirt then sometimes your chest hair or nipples are visible through the shirt, not a nice sight in my opinion.

Second is saving your dress shirts from the yellowing and crusting some antiperspirants cause. Cheaper to replace undershirts that dress shirts.

Thirdly if you sweat under your arms and undershirt will make this slightly less obvious.

Fourth - it really doesn't make you warmer, I've lived in Florida almost my entire life and I've always worn an undershirt.

Please don't flame me-- I'm an oversize cruiser myself--sooooooooo--my question/thought is-- the reason so many men say they are sooooooo uncomfortable in their suits is because they are larger size men and perhaps their suits don't accomodate their girth?? There are many stores that sell larger size clothes including suits that can be bought on sale or even 2 for 1. Also, men--did you know you can rent a tux from the cruiseline and it will be fitted for you onboard the ship. No need to carry the extra clothes. Last time I checked it was $85 for a 7 night cruise.

I honestly think the movement towards casual clothes for both men and women is because our larger bellies and rolls feel more comfortable in less restrictive clothing. :eek:

Hello,

There are some really great ways to get get really well fitted shirts for not a lot of money. I do have some bespoken shirts which cost over 200+ custom made, bla bla bla, at the end of the day, its a piece of cotton, and you can achieve the same fit for a lot less.

I go to store like "Syms" and purchase shirts which fit properly around the neck, generally speaking a 22 inch neck equat to a 4x or 5x or even 6x which is am most certainly not. Most time the body of the shirt fits more like a moo-moo than a shirt. However, bring in this garment to a good, reliable tailor for 20-30 bucks you can have the shirt completely tailored to your liking. Try it out, if you have a good tailor you should not be dissapointed!

Yes' date=' we probably would consider switching cruise lines if Celebrity no longer offered formal nights. For us, formal nights on our cruises is one of the things that differentiates this type of vacation from, say, an all inclusive resort. We would never choose Oceania Crusies as they do not offer formal nights, though we are told every other aspect of cruising with them is either at par or above Celebrity. Personal choice, we realize, but there are alternatives for those who don't like formal nights.[/quote']

You could dress in formalwear every night if it pleases you on Oceania and I am sure no one would care. I have not had the pleasure of sailing on Oceania. However, on Azamara, as Redtravel pointed out, people were dressed in formalwear as well as business casual. Everyone fit in beautifully.

I don't necessarily have a problem wearing a suit, but I want to wear it when I decide to and not having somebody tell me to when (especially on vacation). I actually will wear a suit or tie ocassionally on my own since I get to decide when.

I especially get annoyed when the cruise line won't enforce their own guidelines. We were just on a 7 day on the Summit and only had to eat in the dining room 5 nights being in Bermuda the other two nights. 2 of the 5 nights were formal nights and I wasn't pleased having to wear a suit almost half the time in the dining room.

There were plenty of guy in polos and khakis on the formal nights not even dress shirts/slacks and they were allowed in the dining room. This is one more reason why guys get annoyed wearing suits when they follow the guidelines and others don't.

Yet, people were told to change if you wore jeans or shorts to the Elite member cocktail party during the afternoon.:confused:

I love wearing a finely tailored suit with a great shirt and tie. Even more I love wearing a tux,particularly on a cruise. Besides that i find it to be a babe magnet.

I am in a minority I know,but in today's world I'd rather be an independent thinker than to follow the crowd.

It also that it is a slippery slope from casual to sloppy. That is clearly evident on cruises.

Nothing is nicer that seeing a man in a suit, with manicured nails and hair, and recently-shaven.

MY my my.

I guess those Maitre d's look particularly dashing, compared to someone in old jeans, a tee shirt, and flip-flops.

Just my opinion; not THE opinion.

There appear to be more than the regular number of dress code threads at the moment, and, as usual, some of them are a little heated. One of the issues that comes up regularly has me wondering....

Why do some men hate wearing suits? Why would men rather wear sports jackets than suit jackets?

My husband tells me that his suits are as comfortable as a sports jacket and slacks. But he says he hates wearing a tie, and if given a chance, will wear a thin silk crewneck sweater/tee with his suit. (He looks very smart in this). There is no question that he looks "more dressed up" in the suit, even sans tie, than in the sports jacket.

I am honestly quite perplexed as to why so many of the recent cruisers who are new to Celebrity object to wearing suits? (or why their SO's are objecting on their behalf).

A suit jacket and matching slacks don't weigh more than a sports jacket and slacks. They don't take up any more room in the suitcase. A smart casual shirt can be worn as easily with suit trousers as with dress slacks (for double-duty on smart casual evenings).

I don't want to debate anything...I'd just like to hear why some men are objecting to wearing suits?

I wish I could help you but I don't really understand the problem either. :o

While I don't have to wear a suit and tie to work (we are "smart casual" at work), so I probably have to dress up maybe 2 or 3 times a year at most.

My suit, pants and shirts are tailored to fit - therefore, they don't pinch my neck, the tie is comfortable, and the venues are air-conditioned - so whats the problem? :confused:

My DW always brings at least two gowns, and wears nice dresses the rest of the time, so I have to bring a large hardshell garment case anyway. This becomes our "formal wear" case.

If I decided to not bring a suit, I would probably just rent the formal wear.

I did this on our first cruise, and it worked out well. They even supply the shoes.

We like the formal aspect of the cruise. Perhaps we are in the minority now, I don't know.

For the 'It's hot and humid' rationale, I'd suggest you cruise on ships that have airconditioning.....just a thought.

Oh yes, the air conditioning is quite effective (NOT!) when you are on a high floor cabin that has the pool directly overhead with the sun beating directly on your roof, and the west-setting sun shining through the window. There's nothing more relaxing than being dripping wet with sweat donning the multi layered monkey suit that is encouraged for dinner so we may all look like 007 for our DWs. THAT's not MY idea of vacation.

Nonetheless, as a person who likes to work within the guidelines, I find that a nice dark jacket and tie combo will fit the bill for the formal dress code. I always dress appropriately for the environment.

IMHO we feel that smart casual at dinner is our preference, and our first choice is to find a cruise where it's not necessary to dress up so formally. However, our next scheduled cruise is on Celebrity due to the itinerary, and when it comes to formal night, we'll look nice, but the James Bond attire will be safe at home in the closet.

Regards, Nedward

Edited by nedward