Check your final payment due dates

dzcruisers

Celebrity has moved final payments up 5 days. It's now 75 days and 90 days for holiday sailings. I would have missed it had I not checked my reservation. Mine went from August 22 to August 17.

RCL did the same.

Celebrity has moved final payments up 5 days. It's now 75 days and 90 days for holiday sailings. I would have missed it had I not checked my reservation. Mine went from August 22 to August 17.

RCL did the same.

Is this for new reservations, or are you saying that you were informed by Celebrity that if you would have waited until after August 17th, you would have been out of luck? I also cannot find anything on my reservation indicating the final payment due date, so how did you discover your date had changed?

My docs have a final payment date showing that's 70 days from the sail date. If I had waited until then (and with the new price drop policy I'm waiting until the last possible minute) and then been told, "Sorry, we moved it up to 75 days. You should have been checking our website just in case we decided to change it," I would take a rather large exception to this.

I'm hoping that you just stumbled across the new 75-day deadline, and are just assuming it applied to bookings made prior to the change.

Edit: I just went back to check my reservation again, and I got the message that it's being modified. Maybe they're changing the due date, though I still don't recal seeing it when I checked earlier.

RCL did the same.

I wish mine was only 75 or 90 days. We are booked for July 2011 and my paperwork says final payment is due January. I queried this with my TA and she said that is what it is set for at the moment but it might be able to get changed later. It is bad enough that our deposits are non-refundable but this is ridiculous. On the bright side I did get the price drop

I am sure when I initially enquired about the cruise I was told April for final payment but when I made the deposit I didnt check and it was only when I received new paperwork for the price drop that I noticed the January part. I went and rechecked the initial paperwork and that did say January as well. Hopefully it can be changed later

I got two notices from Celebrity this weekend reminding me final payment was due on a Oct. 23rd cruise. One stated final payment was due in 2 days and the other (came in a few minutes later) stated final payment was due in 7 days. My Invoice stated Aug. 8th as the due date so I assumed the first email was in error.

I noticed this thread and checked my "My Celebrity" reservations page and sure enough it showed today as the due date. I went ahead and made the final payment and noticed a little blurb on the bottom of the noting reservations made before Aug. 1st 2010 qualify for a alternate schedule.

It would be nice if they would give a little advance notice of this change in policy:rolleyes:. If you have a upcoming cruise I would check you final payment due dates.

Joel

They have not notified us or our TA. I searched for the Cruise Contract and it now clearly states that final payment is now due before 75 days prior to the cruise.

We are waiting for a $250.00 discount certificate to be applied before paying our final $100.00. They have had, and acknowledged that they have the certificate info in their hands for the past 3 weeks, but still, as of yesterday, not applied it to our account.

This is a shabby way to do business. It looks like RCCL is having cash flow problems? Maybe that is why all of the changes to maximize cash inflow have been taking place.

Hypo

It's happened to me to. My final payment date was August 9th and they JUST moved it up to August 4th.

They sent me and e-mail on 8/2 and said my reservation would be canceled in less than 2 days if I didn't make final payment. So I went and logged on to My Reservation and the final payment date was changed to August 4th.

Only thing is my Booking Invoice they sent me states final payment due August 9th by 5:00 PM, so how could they just arbitrarily change it?

Is this for new reservations, or are you saying that you were informed by Celebrity that if you would have waited until after August 17th, you would have been out of luck? I also cannot find anything on my reservation indicating the final payment due date, so how did you discover your date had changed?

My docs have a final payment date showing that's 70 days from the sail date. If I had waited until then (and with the new price drop policy I'm waiting until the last possible minute) and then been told, "Sorry, we moved it up to 75 days. You should have been checking our website just in case we decided to change it," I would take a rather large exception to this.

I'm hoping that you just stumbled across the new 75-day deadline, and are just assuming it applied to bookings made prior to the change.

Edit: I just went back to check my reservation again, and I got the message that it's being modified. Maybe they're changing the due date, though I still don't recal seeing it when I checked earlier.

Go to the payment page or call customer service. Customer service can change it back but if you don't call it's computerized.

If you booked before 8/1/2010 it is still 70 days.

If you booked 8/1/2010 or after the final payment is due 75 days.

I just talked to a Captain's Club rep.

Yea, but I wouldn't trust that. It might be true but when I look online & see my due date is now Aug 4 (tomorrow) instead of next Mon I WILL pay it today!! I'll go by what's in print, not by what's told verbally.

I booked both my cruises before 8/1/2010 but they moved both their due dates by 5 days on the My Reservation page.

Keep in mind that should you miss the final payment date, they will email and/or call you as a reminder. This happened to me once - I thought the final payment date was three days later than it actually was. I got a call from a reservation agent (she couldn't have been nicer) and paid off the balance.

That works if you call customer service and tell them to move your final due date back, otherwise the computer releases your reservation on the date it's now set. If noone books your cabin there is not a problem. But to be sure there is not a problem you have to call customer service and have them reinstate your original due date or pay by the new one.

The Captain's Club rep is technically correct but the computers are set up differently until they figure it out.

There is a thread on this on RCL also.

Go to the payment page or call customer service. Customer service can change it back but if you don't call it's computerized.

Reservation done being modified, I can view it, though I can't see any changes. I'm booked through a TA, so on the payments page, it just says to please call my TA. I'll shoot a preemptive line to my TA to make her aware and let you all know what she was told.

Yes, they have changed my booking final payment date. Sailing Oct 22, and final was on my invoice, 8/13, but I just called, and they said it is 8/8. No notification, and I am the travel agent for my own booking! They told me that according to the record, there was nothing stating the change, but when they looked at the invoice that was emailed, they could see the original date. So they reinstated that date for me. This is going to be a real problem for everyone, including Celeb. FYI this was originally booked in June, not after August 1.

Just got off the phone & the reinstated my orig payment date. It was a quick fix so, if you booked yourself, call them up. Otherwise call your TA.

They're going to have many irate customers who are going to lose they're bookings in the next couple of days if they don't hear about this! AND they'll lose their down payments???? Can't wait to see how this works out.

Good luck everyone.

I decided to call the reservations number (not Captain's Club) to see what would happen. Yes, my date is now 11/22 sted of 11/27. I asked her nicely to move it back, she nicely said no can do. I informed her that Celebrity cannot, IMHO, arbitrarily change the terms of a contract-- what if they suddenly decided that full payment was due today, for example? She said Celebrity would never do that. I replied that it should not be a matter of degree-- if it's wrong to move it up 115 days, it's wrong to move it 5 days. She suggested I speak with my TA. I emailed her with the situation thus far, and asked her to report back what hoops she had to jump through. Stay tuned, kids.

BTW, it's not about not having the money; I could pay it now. It's not even about the new refund policy after final payment is made, as I booked before May 17th when the rules on that changed. It's about them living up to their end of the contract, and a little about how long the money earns interest in my bank account as opposed to X's. I hope it's a computer snafu, not indicative of a new way of doing business.

Edit-- the reason I was given for not being able to get the date moved back was not that my booking was through a TA, but because that's what the new date is and she was not allowed to change it.

I'm sure there's legal language somewhere that says they can change terms and conditions at any time.

As an analogy, I just got a new credit card that has the fee waived for the first year, then next year was supposed to be $45. Just got a notice that the next year's fee is going up to $65. I signed up under the $45 deal, right? They don't care...they said I can opt out and the card will simply be cancelled.

We booked our Jan. cruise with a TA. Final payment to THEM is 95 days pre cruise date. However, since we were booked using a group rate, saving us $350 per person plus getting the obc's and other perks, we aren't going to complain. Obviously they want the time to rebook their "held" group rate cabins if we would back out.

Some of the due dates are up to the TA's if not boking direct.

It appears that this is occurring across the board for all Celebrity and Royal cruises. Our due date was also changed by 5 days, which is not a big deal in this case, as we will now plan to pay before leaving on our cruise. I do think that this could throw a monkey wrench in quite a few folks plans if they rely on those reminders, or they are away and not able to access email. We will actually be in Europe and will not be checking our email, so thank goodness for CC or I would not have had the heads up on this early final payment issue.

Happy cruising...Joanne

I'm sure there's legal language somewhere that says they can change terms and conditions at any time.

As an analogy, I just got a new credit card that has the fee waived for the first year, then next year was supposed to be $45. Just got a notice that the next year's fee is going up to $65. I signed up under the $45 deal, right? They don't care...they said I can opt out and the card will simply be cancelled.

I've been over every line of the cruise contract. The closest I can find that might relate to this is section 19:

This Contract contains the entire agreement between Carrier and Passenger and

supersedes any other agreements, written or oral, relating to the subject matter. Any waiver of any provision of this Contract must be made in writing and signed by Carrier.

No one notified me in writing of any changes. Furthermore, I see nothing in the cruise contract directly relating to the final payment deadline in the first place. I can't speak to your credit card terms, but I paid money on the condition that I did not have to pay the balance until 70 days prior to sailing, not 75. Yes, they could simply say, "Sorry, if you don't like it, you can cancel," but that's a darn poor business practice. They tried this kind of thing when they first instituted the fuel supplement, but if you crabbed about it, they waived it. This is not nearly as dramatic a problem as an extra charge unilaterally imposed, but it's still the principle.

If anyone can point out other language that would possibly allow them to arbitrarily change the date, I'd like to see it.

Where I can see this becoming a huge issue is for those who booked between May 17th & August 1st.

IE - my final payment date is currently March 5th. If they arbitrarily move it back to March 1st, but then the price for my cruise goes down on March 4th...you can bet I'm going to be asking for the difference as a credit.

The invoice I got from my TA clearly shows the final payment due on 3/5.

Archived