RCI Insurance

Donna - dsw

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/vacationProtectionPlan.do;jsessionid=00003QXXjzNiAmDY9o_xgdJJQzJ:12hbioe0u

I have never taken insurance from the cruiseline before - - but our next trip 2/5/11 AOS out of San Juan - they are quoting $118 for the cabin (2).

I have checked all other insurance and the rate is much higher as we are 57 and 61 - - does this sound like good insurance?

It is called RCI Cruise Care

I don't have the exact break down but my insurance for 2 people is usually higher than what you are quoted.

Then again, my coverage may be better with higher limits. I always make sure my carrier is primary for medical. I always get higher medevac coverage with hosp of choice back to the States. If I have to cancel for a covered reason, I want my money back, not a future cruise credit.

Lot of things you have to take into consideration when buying trip insurance.

A Kia is a car with an engine and 4 wheels. A BMW is a car with an engine and 4 wheels. Not going to buy both cars for the same price.

OP - asking if this is "good insurance" is subjective. I took a very quick look at the policy, and it would not work for me. For example, the Medical Evacuation coverage is only $25,000. I found several sources for the average cost of a medical evacuation from a cruise ship. According to Medjet Assist, a domestic medical evacuation can run $10,000 to $20,000, while international ones can exceed $75,000.

The Accidental and Sickness Medical Coverage is only $10,000. If you have a primary carrier that will pick up the rest, and I was unable to easily find a source that could state the average medical cost of a cruise ship passenger that became ill or injured on a cruise, perhaps that is enough.

There is some good information here:

http://www.consumer-action.org/news/articles/2010_spring_issue_travel_insurance_issue/

This insurance sounds very similar to Celebrity's Cruise Care. I filed a claim with them in April of this year for an incident that occurred in January of this year, and have not received any payment:( Their handling of arrangements for getting us home from St Thomas, USVI were excellent:) Note: $10k medical coverage doesn't go very far, our total medical bills in St Thomas were almost $28k plus $4k on the ship. We were fortunate that our first stop was in St Thomas and my HMO covered most of the medical bills:) Still our out of pocket was almost $15k.

Archived