car rental in Moorea

Sumar76

They were renting little 'fun cars' (like small dune buggies)right next to the pier last fall. They went quickly, so if you are interested I suggest you get off the ship and on the first tender available to make sure there are some left. We didn't rent one ourselves, just took a taxi to the beach.

We were in Moorea in Jan/09. We reserved a rental ahead of time from Alberts. Here is their website:

http://www.albert-transport.net/p8_gb.asp

They were right at the pier with the car, and we didn't have any trouble. They only have small cars on the island. It is very easy to navigate. They only have 1 road around, and it doesn't take that long. We left in the morning, went to Belvedere lookout, then stopped at Intercontinental hotel for a while, then went to the Soffitel hotel for a while. Plenty of time to enjoy the beautiful island. Wish I was going back soon!

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a dune buggy (the small one) our last day in Moorea, right by the dock. She was closing early so gave us 3.5 hours for less than $80. It was small and loud but lots of fun. After heading to a shop called Coco Blanc up by the golf course (heard it was a good lunch) we continued around the entire island.... it took longer than anyone told us despite gunning it.... would have preferred to meander back down the same way we came.

mariah

• 4 weeks later...

We also rented from Sandrine when we visited in '08. Picked us up at the dock & took us over to Club Bali Hai to complete the paperwork. When we returned we just dropped the car at the dock where we were picked up. Everything went smooth and charges were as stated and what we were expecting.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

We also rented from Sandrine at Avis and had excellent service. We found the 4 hour rental was more than enough to circle the island with several stops - don't miss the fruit juice factory (look for the sign on the right going clockwise from the dock after about 4-5 miles) it is a liqueuer/gift shop as well as juice, a bit pricey but the smell as you get out of the car is amazing !

Thanks for the tip. I will add to places to stop on our drive. We rented for 8hrs because it was only 1000xpf more than 4 hrs although we will only have it about 6hrs.

We booked with Avis.com for the full 8 hours as well since it was only a little more than the 4 hour rental. Gives us more flexibility to take in as much as we can.

I finally heard back from both Sandrine and Alberts. It took about a week from Avis and about 3 weeks from Alberts. Avis is requesting the whole amount paid in advance. Sandrine said that they will refund the amount if the ship cannot dock but it seems like it could be a potential hassle to get the money back so we'll probably go with Alberts. The price was the same.

I finally heard back from both Sandrine and Alberts. It took about a week from Avis and about 3 weeks from Alberts. Avis is requesting the whole amount paid in advance. Sandrine said that they will refund the amount if the ship cannot dock but it seems like it could be a potential hassle to get the money back so we'll probably go with Alberts. The price was the same.

Avis wants full payment in advance? When is your cruise? We have a reservation with them in December...nothing's been said about advance payment or even cc info.

Anyone else experience this?

I also contacted Sandrine re: rental car from Avis.

She wrote that pre-payment is necessary also.

Since I will be staying at the Hilton, I am going to rent a car from them, as it is basically $1 difference. And with Sandrine I would have to go to the rental office to get the car (although they said they would come and get me at the Hilton).

My cruise is the end of Oct.

Avis wants full payment in advance? When is your cruise? We have a reservation with them in December...nothing's been said about advance payment or even cc info.

Anyone else experience this?

We have also booked a car for the day through Avis.com and there was no prepayment required. However, I have reviewed our booking and it says pickup and drop off at the Vaiare dock which I now realize is the ferry dock area which is in a different part of the island to the cruise tender dock. I called Avis who could not tell me whether the car could be delivered to the tender dock. They suggested contacting local Avis operator so I have now emailed Sandrine to see if the car can be delivered to the tender dock. If not we will probably take a cab to pick up the car as I am not inclined to prepay the full amount.

Bridgemates, are you renting Dec. 8 or on your other b2b cruise? If we are both renting the same date and cannot get delivery to the tender dock, we could consider sharing transport to Vaiare to pickup the cars.

I am on the Oct 6th cruise :D and I prepaid to get a great rate. I also wanted an automatic which I read can be in limited supply. Sandrine came highly recommended by other CC members so I took a chance. I used my American Express so if any issues they will deal with it. She will have the car at the tender dock when we arrive. I will let others know if we encounter any problems.

We have also booked a car for the day through Avis.com and there was no prepayment required. However, I have reviewed our booking and it says pickup and drop off at the Vaiare dock which I now realize is the ferry dock area which is in a different part of the island to the cruise tender dock. I called Avis who could not tell me whether the car could be delivered to the tender dock. They suggested contacting local Avis operator so I have now emailed Sandrine to see if the car can be delivered to the tender dock. If not we will probably take a cab to pick up the car as I am not inclined to prepay the full amount.

Bridgemates, are you renting Dec. 8 or on your other b2b cruise? If we are both renting the same date and cannot get delivery to the tender dock, we could consider sharing transport to Vaiare to pickup the cars.

Sorry, rental is for our "turnaround" day (9th) when we'll take the ferry from Papeete over to Moorea and get the car at the ferry dock area.

I asked the question on our cruise board as to where the tender dock is on Moorea as well. I think it is either Cooks Bay or Pounohu Bay but not sure which. I have the reverse problem as I'm coming from Papeete to Moorea to rejoin the ship. As you say the ferry dock is in Vaiare which is on the eastern side of the island and the ship anchors up in the north. I have been through all the boards, seen photos of the tenders going to and from the ships etc etc but still do not have a definite answer. Do different cruise lines use different dismbarkation points or is there only one pier on that side of the island that they all use?

I asked the question on our cruise board as to where the tender dock is on Moorea as well. I think it is either Cooks Bay or Pounohu Bay but not sure which. Do different cruise lines use different dismbarkation points or is there only one pier on that side of the island that they all use?

It's "Opunohu". These two bays are quite close together, and yes, they are on the north side. In general, Moorea is not a port of disembarkation, but if you're joining the ship there, you should have no problem geting a cab from the ferry dock, I would think. It's easy to see when you reach one of the bay docks whether the ship is there, it's quite visible.

It's *usually* Cook's Bay, unless there's another cruise ship that beats them to it.

Here's a map of Moorea: ttp://www.thetahititraveler.com/islandguide/mooreaintro.asp

It's "Opunohu". These two bays are quite close together, and yes, they are on the north side. In general, Moorea is not a port of disembarkation, but if you're joining the ship there, you should have no problem geting a cab from the ferry dock, I would think. It's easy to see when you reach one of the bay docks whether the ship is there, it's quite visible.

It's *usually* Cook's Bay, unless there's another cruise ship that beats them to it.

Here's a map of Moorea: ttp://www.thetahititraveler.com/islandguide/mooreaintro.asp

Thanks Wendy, I appreciate your help.

Archived