which train station is easier to get to from port in vencie santa lucia or mestre

norah34

:o

does any one know which train station is easier to get to from the cruise terminal in vencie santa lucia or mestre ? we have europasses and will be traveling by train for at least 10 days after our cruise is finished . I am sure we will have a great time but would like to make catching the train easy as possible thanks

does any one know which train station is easier to get to from the cruise terminal in vencie santa lucia or mestre ? we have europasses and will be traveling by train for at least 10 days after our cruise is finished . I am sure we will have a great time but would like to make catching the train easy as possible thanks

Santa Lucia is in Venice, right next to the port!

You would have to take the train from Mestre to St Lucia. From St. Lucia to the port bus parking lot is about a 7 minute walk across the fairly new bridge. The cruise lines have shuttle buses to take you to the ship. The reverse works on disembarkation day. It is not far and not difficult unless you have many bags.

Santa Lucia is the closest by far but you need some way to get from the port to Piazzale Roma (I walked, it takes about 20 mins) and then you need to go over quite a big footbridge with lots of steps and then you have to walk along a bit and then there are more steps up to the station. I had no difficulty but then I never travel with more luggage than I can easily handle.

You can get a bus or cab from the port to Piazzale Roma (which is the transportation hub of Venice) but if you then can't manage the steps and walk to Santa Lucia, it might be easier to get a bus or cab from P'zale Roma to Mestre - however, I have no knowledge of what the entrance to the station is like at Mestre.

Assuming you are finishing your cruise in Venice . Walk out front of cruise terminal. Walk upstairs to the overhead station for the People Mover to Piazaale Roma . From there walk over the bridge to the steps of St.Lucia station . If you are using your Eurail or Italy Pass for the first time departing Venice be sure to go to the booking office first and get it VALIDATED before you board your train .

St Lucia Station is in Venice proper at the end of a long causeway which links St.Lucia station with the Italian mainland . Maestre station is on the mainland end of that long causeway and quite a long way from the cruise terminal .

You asked for "easier". I've read the other responses, which are correct in fact, but unless you have only carry on luggage, Santa Lucia, while close, is not as "easy" as Mestre. Mestre, tens times farther away (5.5 miles, vs. 0.5), has the advantage of being a quick door-to-door cab ride away, with no dragging, climbing, etc.

I vote for Mestre. Straight door to door taxi ride. No tram, no bridge, no boat. Should take less than 10 minutes

Yes, I agree: Mestre is "easier" .. particularly if schlepping a bunch of luggage.

Slightly off subject, but ...

Most of the fast trains will require you to purchase a supplement and/or seat reservations.

Archived