booking a cruise with Princess/travel agent

DDDDale

I booked my very first cruise earlier this year (Star on 4/11 to the mexican riviera out of SF) and was very disappointed when Princess shortly thereafter cancelled the cruise. After sulking for six months I decided to try again and booked another one to MR out of LA, also in April, 2011 on the Sapphire. I booked it directly with Princess since I wanted a particular cabin (and am still a little apprehensive). Yesterday, I asked Princess to transfer the booking to an online agent that I had contacted and that switch will save me $300. I also have a tentative booking LA/Hawaii in 4/2012; again directly with Princess. So, after all that, my question is: is there any reason that I shouldn't book directly with Princess and then switch the booking to an agent. Is there any downside to doing it that way?

I booked my very first cruise earlier this year (Star on 4/11 to the mexican riviera out of SF) and was very disappointed when Princess shortly thereafter cancelled the cruise. After sulking for six months I decided to try again and booked another one to MR out of LA, also in April, 2011 on the Sapphire. I booked it directly with Princess since I wanted a particular cabin (and am still a little apprehensive). Yesterday, I asked Princess to transfer the booking to an online agent that I had contacted and that switch will save me $300. I also have a tentative booking LA/Hawaii in 4/2012; again directly with Princess. So, after all that, my question is: is there any reason that I shouldn't book directly with Princess and then switch the booking to an agent. Is there any downside to doing it that way?

No downside that I know of, but why not start with a TA in the first place?

The only time I book direct with Princess to begin with is if I see a particular stateroom I know could be gone in a flash. I book it online and then immediately transfer it over to my TA. If there is no rush, I contact my TA and book through them.

If you are hunting for a good discount TA, you can keep the booking with Princess but it must be transfered over to a TA before final payment date as it can't be done after final payment has been made, if that is what you want to do. Have a great cruise!

The only time I book direct with Princess to begin with is if I see a particular stateroom I know could be gone in a flash. I book it online and then immediately transfer it over to my TA. !

That's the reason; I wanted a particular stateroom (E731) for both cruises and wanted to ensure that I get it. When I booked the earlier, canceled, cruise with an online discount agent it seemed like everything was in slow motion. Also, I could only pick from the short list of open staterooms rather than entering a specific stateroom as is possible on the Princess site. I know I could deal with a real live human T/A but I don't have one. Unless there is some reason why it's not in my best interest to do so, with the 2012 LA/Hawaii cruise I'm inclined to leave it with Princess until closer to final payment day.

Thanks for your responses, toto and colo.

That's the reason; I wanted a particular stateroom (E731) for both cruises and wanted to ensure that I get it. When I booked the earlier, canceled, cruise with an online discount agent it seemed like everything was in slow motion. Also, I could only pick from the short list of open staterooms rather than entering a specific stateroom as is possible on the Princess site. I know I could deal with a real live human T/A but I don't have one. Unless there is some reason why it's not in my best interest to do so, with the 2012 LA/Hawaii cruise I'm inclined to leave it with Princess until closer to final payment day.

Thanks for your responses, toto and colo.

A good TA will reserve a block of cabins, often in popular locations, and offer them to clients at a group rate. They won't be available on the Princess website and you start out by getting a rate that's probably lower than a subsequent price reduction by Princess. That's why I book through a TA rather than directly with Princess.

A good TA will reserve a block of cabins, often in popular locations, and offer them to clients at a group rate. They won't be available on the Princess website and you start out by getting a rate that's probably lower than a subsequent price reduction by Princess. That's why I book through a TA rather than directly with Princess.

Thanks Pam, I was wondering if TAs do that. When I checked a few online agents they had the same list of open cabins that appear on the Princess site so I concluded that they were all just drawing from the same pool. For future bookings, I guess I should somehow scout out one of those good travel agents who reserve blocks of the best cabins. I'd appreciate advice on how to do that.

If a booking is held by a TA and Princess later lowers the price of a cruise doesn't the TA pass on that reduction to the client?

Dale

If a booking is held by a TA and Princess later lowers the price of a cruise doesn't the TA pass on that reduction to the client?
It depends on the pricing and promotion. Most price reductions are "for new bookings only" in which case, you would not be eligible. Frequently, if there is a Princess price reduction (without a promotion), the TA is already giving you a lower price so they can't reduce the price accordingly. There isn't a pat answer to your question because "it depends." Sometimes, certain cabin categories get a price reduction while others don't. For my upcoming Crown cruise, for instance, I received a very hefty price reduction for my balcony cabin yet my sister in an obstructed oceanview didn't; I wound up paying just a little more than she did (about $150, both singles in a cabin so I'm paying 200%.) Now, she's asking me why I didn't insist she book the balcony. :)

As far as I know, Princess Group space doesn't work that way - agencies cannot reserve specific cabins - only cabins within a particular category. In order to reserve specific cabins, you have to have names to assign to the cabins and deposits. Other cruise lines work that way where a Group can be made up of specific cabin numbers - not Princess or HAL.

From 17 years experience as a TA selling only cruises:

Previous poster is 100% correct. TA's can not reserve specific cabins in their Group Allotments without names (followed with deposits).

They block cabin "X" cabins in a category only.

They also have their allotments reduced (recalled) as sailing nears ,especially if TA is not booking them fast enough on a popular sailing.:rolleyes:

My TA is great at getting these. Princess knows we are retired & can drive to an E Coast port to meet a ship to cruise. Then she started getting us the Flash Promos for slow selling ships, we do a guarantee balcony & get aft mini or Caribe deck balcony. Always a BA which we greatly appreciate.

The new one for Sept is 10 nts & under $80 PP per day.

Archived