Picky laundry question

Can anyone share their experiences using the ship's laundry service? Were you satisfied? I ask because while we would like to pack light and therefore would like to use the laundry service, I'm concerned that our clothes will come back shrunken, as I would expect them to be from large industrial driers. At home I tend to hang my clothes or put them on the 'delicate' cycle in the drier so that they last longer. The last thing I need after a week of buffet dining is for my clothes to shrink! ;)

I have seen the laundry service order form and don't believe there's anywhere to put instructions regarding drying.

I guess I could opt for the dry-cleaning, but that seems excessive for mere tshirts etc.

Anyone know whether I should be concerned? I know, I know, I'm being very picky.

Thanks in advance!

We use the service at least once per cruise, love it. I don't even bother doing my ironing before i leave home anymore, just pack it up and send it out when we unpack our bags. We've also never had any issues with shrinkage or any kind of damage, but no doubt there have been some issues considering how much laundry they must do. Highly recommend it.

Last time on IOS I used the $25 bag promo and they lost the only new tshirt I put in there. They found it, though. Personally, I would only put older stuff in the laundry bag in the future. I've done the dry cleaning and that comes back very nice.

"Found" the laundry service on our first Mediterranean cruise !

since we were traveling in very late Nov. it was much cooler therefore we had to pack pants, LS shirts and sweaters....... which of course take up more room...... so was nice to have it. We did "a load" halfway thru the trip. We spent about $120.00 for both of us but well worth it.

We did not have any problems with shrinkage or anything else. Very happy.

Thanks very much for all the advice! Perhaps I'll chance it with the majority of the stuff and if there's anything I'm super fussy about, I'll use the D/C service. Good to know people had positive experiences over all.

Thank you again!

I also used the "bag" deal midweek for whites. Everything came back folded but very wrinkled. Luckily enough it was items that were not a "must wear". I migh try the dry cleaning but not the bag laundry service. This is just my experience though.

Hubby's shirts came back looking brand new....great pressing....however, a crinkled cotton dress I sent out which should NOT have been ironed was pressed within an inch of it's life....ruined the dress completely. I had thought if I rewashed it at home, the "crinkly" look would return, but it didn't.

So, if something is washable and comes out good at home, they will do a fine job. But, if it's an item that needs special care (like no ironing, or hand washing), don't send it to the laundry!

I ask because while we would like to pack light
Why do you want to pack light ?? :) Life is too short to pack light !! :D

The on-board laundry / dry cleaning service is awesome. We don't even iron much at home (linens, etc.) before the cruise ..... the first day when we are unpacking we send a bunch out for press only. Works awesome !!

To answers your question more directly, I would not send something out for laundry that you use either a delicate cycle on , or partially dry or hang dry. Just asking for trouble. T-shirts, undies, etc. .... no problem!!

Did laundry service on VoS during our 16 day honeymoon in Europe (some on the boat, some not). Sent out almost all our clothes - a crazy mix of underwear, jeans, khakis, a suit to be dry cleaned, sweaters, etc. - and it all came back great! We ended up doing two bags and have no complaints.

Actually, this shows you how much confidence I have: we lost power last night due to a bad storm. We leave Thursday on EoS and really need to do laundry before we leave. I told DH that if we don't get power back by Wednesday evening, we can just take dirty clothes and have RCI do it! :)

Had some laundry done on Freedom last month. Had only wash and press, press only, or dry clean done and everything came back fine (except for my dry clean only slacks, which looked like they did when I took them off to have them cleaned - they were still wrinkled like they would be after being worn). The only other thing I can tell you is that the laundry won't necessarily be back to your cabin by 5:00 (like it says on the laundry form). We called the first night it was late because we were meeting friends for pre-dinner drinks and we were told that the delivery time was 5:30. Anyway...just wanted to let you know.

I used the $25/bag special last week on Liberty, and I was not happy.

The bag came in on Thursday, and we packed it up and left it on the bed that day. It disappeared. Nowhere did it say how long the laundry would take. Mid-day Friday it occured to me that the things weren't back yet, but I wasn't worried. Saturday after lunch I remembered them, and I decided that wasn't reasonable.

I asked the cabin steward about it, but he wasn't all that helpful (other than this one thing, he was great). Around 4:00 pm I went to customer service on Deck 5. I told them that it was almost time to dress for dinner, and I'd be getting the clean clothes back just in time to pack them (along with my dirty clothes -- so useful!), and I wanted the $25 refunded. They discovered that my clothes hadn't been started yet, so I said, "Just give me back the dirty bag. It's time to pack anyway."

After dinner on Saturday my clean clothes arrived (quality of the laundry service was good -- I'm not debating that). I went to customer service again and told them that I wanted the $25 refunded because the clothes weren't returned to me in a reasonable amount of time, and I'd have no chance to use them. Also, I'd requested that they just return them. They said that I'd have to wait until the next morning (Sunday morning -- disembarkation morning) because the Laundry Master was already off duty.

$25 isn't going to ruin my cruise, but I was not pleased with the laundry service AT ALL and would not use it again. The real rub is that we didn't really NEED the clothes cleaned; we just thought it'd be nice to be able to re-use a couple things from early in the cruise. It was just a little irritation in an otherwise almost-perfect cruise, and I won't do it again.

Hubby's shirts came back looking brand new....great pressing....however, a crinkled cotton dress I sent out which should NOT have been ironed was pressed within an inch of it's life....ruined the dress completely. I had thought if I rewashed it at home, the "crinkly" look would return, but it didn't.

So, if something is washable and comes out good at home, they will do a fine job. But, if it's an item that needs special care (like no ironing, or hand washing), don't send it to the laundry!

We have used the service many times. However, if the article is special...don't send it...:)

As I remember the $25 promotion it is for clean and FOLD. That may be why some commented that their clothing came back wrinkled. I used the clean and PRESS service and was very satisfied. The clean and press is priced by item.

Shak

Archived