houston

cruisinjan

We will be flying into Houston and cant decide whether to stay in houston and then a shuttle to the port or go directly to galveston and stay at a hotel there. Which would be better? Advice is appreciated - thanks

I would book a hotel in Galveston. If you've never been there, I think you will enjoy staying there. :)

Thanks for the all the replies. Its just a one night pre cruise stay

at the end of February. Was wondering what would be a cheaper way

to go...houston stay and then shuttle to port or shuttle to Galveston and stay

in Galveston.

Thanks for the all the replies. Its just a one night pre cruise stay

at the end of February. Was wondering what would be a cheaper way

to go...houston stay and then shuttle to port or shuttle to Galveston and stay

in Galveston.

February is not high season for Galveston hotels, so they won't be as expensive as this time of year.

If it were me, I'd shuttle to the island and spend the night there. Also, Galveston is about 50 miles from downtown Houston, and finding transportation on a Sunday morning from a Houston hotel might be a challenge.

Galveston Island isn't that big, so whether you're staying on the seawall or if you're staying near the port you're not far from places to eat and sightsee.

February is not high season for Galveston hotels, so they won't be as expensive as this time of year.

If it were me, I'd shuttle to the island and spend the night there. Also, Galveston is about 50 miles from downtown Houston, and finding transportation on a Sunday morning from a Houston hotel might be a challenge.

Galveston Island isn't that big, so whether you're staying on the seawall or if you're staying near the port you're not far from places to eat and sightsee.

Remember

100th Mardi Gras Galveston

Feb 25 - March 8, 2011

I live in Houston and if I were you I would get a place in Galveston.

Houston traffic is very unpredictable, especially on I45.

There are times when they will decided to do road repair during rush hour.:confused:

The beaches are not that pretty, but there are so many GREAT restaurants; and you will only be there one night.

Tamara

wife

You say

at the end of February.

In that case, it is probably during Mardi Gras,

definitly come on down and enjoy.

Will be good family fun. Watch adults act like children again!

Big weekend is the second Saturday Sunday and Fat Tuesday.

Any hotel along Seawall between say 12th - 63rd should be on parade routes unless there are changes. There are activities also on Strand by port.

Parades (3) should be Saturday and on Seawall

for the first weekend the 28th. Times should be around noon, 3, and 6.

Get your room now!!!!!!!!!

I live in Houston and if I were you I would get a place in Galveston.

Houston traffic is very unpredictable, especially on I45.

There are times when they will decided to do road repair during rush hour.:confused:

The beaches are not that pretty, but there are so many GREAT restaurants; and you will only be there one night.

Tamara

wife

Those major construction projects are completed.

As example major fly over around Webster to Nasa Rd One from I/45.

Saturday should not be a problem! Certainly Mardi Gras traffic from Houston.

Can anyone help me with my question pertaining to the transportation

from Bush Airport to a hotel in Galveston? Do I taxi it to Galveston or

is there a specific shuttle going to certain hotels in Galveston? I heard

alittle about the limos....is that price per party or per person?

Thanks for any input

Can anyone help me with my question pertaining to the transportation

from Bush Airport to a hotel in Galveston? Do I taxi it to Galveston or

is there a specific shuttle going to certain hotels in Galveston? I heard

alittle about the limos....is that price per party or per person?

Thanks for any input

Hoping someone will come along to help you as I don't know about shuttles - but I do know that you don't want to take a taxi - it is 70 miles from Bush to Galveston - don't even want to think what a taxi would cost. I'm sure (because of the distance) no Galveston hotels pick-up at Bush. Do know that the limo cost you see quoted is to rent the limo - they have a certain number that they'll transport for that price - depends on the size of the limo.

I can't find any hotel shuttles to Galveston. We are flying into Bush as well, and it looks like our best option is the Carnival shuttle. We will fly in the night before, and have the hotel in Houston drop us off at the airport the next morning. CCL's shuttle is 80.00 roundtrip per person (last time I checked). They will only pick up at the airport the day of the cruise. So far that seems like the best option for us (there are only two of us).

If it costs that much on the shuttle ($80pp) to go to Galveston,

then wouldnt it cheaper to use a taxi or limo?

I'm not sure. I'm still researching. If there are more than two people, it looks like a limo would be a better deal. For just two, the CCL shuttle looks like the best option. I would love to find something better, though.

The person that we booked with through Carnival suggested we stay the evening in Houston at a hotel which has a free shuttle too/from the airport. The next morning take the free shuttle back to baggage claim and take the transfer offered by Carnival to the pier. I thought it was a cleaver idea of not paying to the hotel and then to the pier (but it was also a cleaver idea of how to sell the transfer to guests flying in the day before). I am not sure how much of a hassle it will be, and it might end up being one, but this is what we will do in Oct. I hope this idea or someone else's idea helps.

Check the price on a rental car. Depending on the time of your flight, you can rent for one day, one way leaving the vehicle in Galveston.

Unless you have more recent information, I don't think this is still the case. I talked to Enterprise (which is currently the only rental agency in Galveston) last week and they no longer do one-way rentals. I talked to both the national number and the desk at Hobby and they both said the same thing. They are referring everyone to either National or Alamo for one-way rentals. Neither of which are in Galveston.

The person that we booked with through Carnival suggested we stay the evening in Houston at a hotel which has a free shuttle too/from the airport. The next morning take the free shuttle back to baggage claim and take the transfer offered by Carnival to the pier. I thought it was a cleaver idea of not paying to the hotel and then to the pier (but it was also a cleaver idea of how to sell the transfer to guests flying in the day before). I am not sure how much of a hassle it will be, and it might end up being one, but this is what we will do in Oct. I hope this idea or someone else's idea helps.

Thats the same advise I got from my travel agent. I am still looking for a way

to be able to stay in Galveston instead of Houston. Still hoping someone can

tell me if the limo price to Galveston is per trip or if its per person. The same

goes for cab fare...is it per trip or per person?

Please let us know ncovert how it turns out for you...anxious to hear. Thanks

What about renting the car from Bush Airport to Hobby Airport then taking a shuttle to Galveston. If they rent cars for half a day, drop rental off to the closest place to Galveston, then shuttle or taxi the rest of the way. Can you fly in thru Hobby which is so much closer to Galveston?

Where their is a will their is a way, we are going to find a way!!!

I did google shuttle service in Houston and it is expensive.

and it makes me VERY glad I live in Texas, just a 5 hour drive from Galveston. Saves a ton of money and headaches.

Good luck to you intrepid cruisers who have to get through the shuttle/taxi/limo/rental car gauntlet before you can get on the ship.

Do any of you flying in to Houston have a friend or relative in the vicinity that might agree to be your transportation? Friend of a friend, distant cousin, perhaps?

Archived