One parent and 2 y.o. - best cruise length?

mel3073

Hi Everyone,

I am an experienced cruiser and a single parent. I want to take my 2 year old on his first cruise in December, 2010. It will be just me and my son. I have a choice between a 4-day cruise or a 9-day cruise. I'm tempted to go with the 9-day cruise because as much "work" goes into packing for a 4-day as it does for a 9-day. However, I am nervous about taking my son on such a long cruise for his 1st time.

Does anyone have any advice/insight on which cruise would be the best length for us?

I'll be sailing on the Carnival Spirit out of San Diego.

Thank you.

Melissa

In my opinion, you should go for as long as you can!! Imagine nine whole days of not having to do anything but relax and enjoy your son! Isn't that better than four?

Last December, I booked a three night cruise as an afterthought to our scuba trip - I figured we were going to be in Miami, so how could I not involve some kind of cruise - and I will never go on one under a week again. It was absolutely not enough time. We had just gotten into the swing of things and figured out the ship and it was time to disembark.

9 days! Especially since your son can do camp carnival and you can have some much needed relaxation. My 2 yr old always begged me to go to camp carnival. She loved it! It's took my then 3 yr old a little longer to warm up to it and he just loves camp carnival. The longer you go without cooking and cleaning the better! Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Everyone,

I am an experienced cruiser and a single parent. I want to take my 2 year old on his first cruise in December, 2010.

I would go with the 4 night since you will be traveling alone with him. If he doesn't want to stay at Camp C, you will be stuck watching him 24/7, which can be a challenge even when you have 2 parents there. I would test the waters so to speak and then you can always take another longer cruise next year.

Hi Everyone,

I am an experienced cruiser and a single parent. I want to take my 2 year old on his first cruise in December, 2010. It will be just me and my son. I have a choice between a 4-day cruise or a 9-day cruise. I'm tempted to go with the 9-day cruise because as much "work" goes into packing for a 4-day as it does for a 9-day. However, I am nervous about taking my son on such a long cruise for his 1st time.

Does anyone have any advice/insight on which cruise would be the best length for us?

Thank you.

Melissa

9 days! It won't be too long for him, and it will give you much more time to relax and enjoy (since the 1st and last days are usually busy with packing/unpacking/etc)

I agree with 9 days. I also concur with the fact that on a 4 day, the first and last days are shot with packing and unpacking. And as far as you're having to "watch" your son 24/7 on a 9 day cruise (as an arguement to go on the 4 day)...single moms have to do that every day, no matter where you are- so I'd rather be on a cruise doing that than at home, LOL.

Kids adapt...I'd totally go for the 9 day.

I've done several cruises as a single mom with 3 kids, including the youngest when he was 2, 3, 4. We've got two more cruises planned for this year while he's 5. :p

He's loved every cruise we've been on, except for the one when he was 2. We were on RCCL's AOS which had almost nothing for him to do. He loved Carnival when he was 3 though. I would recommend taking the 9 day cruise. I'm now finding that even 7 days is too short. ;)

Single mom of twins here votes for as long a cruise as you can find/afford. I did three 7 day cruises with my girls before they were old enough for the kids club and being "stuck" with them was wonderful. I've found it takes a day or two for us all to get into the routine, so to me a four day wouldn't even give a true indicator of how well you'd do on a cruise together. I say dive in. We've done a 14 day crossing with mostly sea days and it was the most wonderful so far. Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Thank you everyone, very much, for your responses. Looks like the 9-day cruise is the winner!

I'm very nervous, but excited, about traveling with my little man. However, the bonding time we will have is going to be worth any nervousness I feel now.

And the pictures and memories I will have of this trip will be priceless. They only stay little for so long (as all you parents know) and I want to cherish every moment.

Thank you again.

Melissa

I see this is a cruise to Mexico, correct? I don't know what your custody situation is, but be sure to obtain a notarized permission to travel letter from child's dad if you don't have full legal custody. If you do, make sure to bring the appropriate paperwork with you.

I see this is a cruise to Mexico, correct? I don't know what your custody situation is, but be sure to obtain a notarized permission to travel letter from child's dad if you don't have full legal custody. If you do, make sure to bring the appropriate paperwork with you.

Thanks for the information. I've already talked to my son's dad and he's fine with providing a notorized letter to take our son into Mexico. Although he does think I'm crazy for even taking our son on a cruise to begin with!

I just booked the 9-day cruise today! We leave in December. I cannot wait.

Thanks again everyone.

I say bring a notarized letter with you period..even if you do have custody. Sometimes I take my DD with me and leave my husband behind at home (he only gets 1 wk of vacation of year). I still have to furnish proof that he is aware we are travelling outside the country.

• 3 months later...

Thanks again to everyone who helped out with my questions. My son and I leave on Friday, December 10th for our 9-day cruise! I am armed with passports, notorized letter from son's father, birth certificate to prove I am the mother (different last name), and about 4 suitcases of stuff.

I was really hoping my son would be potty trained by now, but he is not. :-( One suitcase is just for diapers and wipes!

I'll post a review of my trip for those that are interested.

Thanks again!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you.

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I may be in the minority, but our best well behaved cruises are 5 days or shorter. My daughter, 2 yo, goes with the flow well for this time frame, but gets crankier on day 6 or 7. The last two days are not as relaxing as you are worried about a crying child.

As always, depends on the child, but at 2- most kids love routine.

Archived