Running track on Freedom mismeasured?

arc918

You are exactly right, don't plan on running at all after 9am. I had to pretty much finish by 8am on my Navigator cruise last year. I got a little jealous when one of the smaller Carnival ships (Glory?) pulled in to Cozumel and I could look down on her track and see no deck chairs!

I hope to go back and run on either Freedom or Liberty. The last time I was on Freedom I was 78 pounds heavier, which I since lost due to running.

Congrats on the weight loss it is Hard Work. Keep it up!

I have found that they look especially annoyed when I "accidentally" kick their deck chair on my way past. I do add a cheery 'Sorry!' as I continue on.:p

Lisa

Good move Lisa. I thought I was the only one that did that.

Rick

1 or 2 inconsiderate, rude morons.
So is the "rude moron" the person whose chair partially obstructs the path or the person that intentionally decides to kick said chair ??? :D Sort of a toss up.

Just off the FOS. The sign on the track reads "3 laps = 1K, 4.5 laps = 1 mile."

I don't think that math works.

10K would = 30 laps (10 x 3).

6.2 miles x 4.5 laps = 27.9 laps.

I doesn't much matter now, but something seems out of whack.

That just means that their laps per km/mile are approximate. If you're really worried about precision, then you might have to figure out a way to measure it yourself. If 4.5 laps were really a mile, then three laps would be about 1.07 km.

Edited by Paul65

Classify this as a "too much time on my hand post". I'm sure a lot of runners who may cruise, may also have a Garmin GPS watch to record their workouts. It works by recording your exact position via GPS to calculate how far and how fast you have run. I think it might be fun to use such a watch while running on the ships track and the ship it steaming forward on a sea day. The results would be inaccurate but funny.

I'm guessing the chairs were tied down as much or more so they wouldn't blow or be tossed overboard at night than in respect to the running/walking track.

I see the track / deck as a multipurpose area which as I stated earlier should be and is available to runners / walkers most of the morning, but becomes more of a pool deck in the afternoon.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

No because I asked, plus it was only the ones around the track that were tied to the railings in short amounts unlike when they are stowed for bad weather,so disagree all you like.

My daughter tried to use her GPS running watch to get exact workouts (she's on a college team) but it wouldn't work correctly since both she and the track were moving. She said she thought the totals were off on the sign too!

When I saw this thread, I was going to crack a joke about using a GPS to measure it... but of course as your daughter observed, that problem becomes quite a bit more complicated (although not impossible) on a moving ship.

What she would find is that her "forward" legs would show as the ship speed plus her running speed, and the "aftward" legs would show as the ship speed minus her running speed. The turns at either end would show up as very close to the ship speed.

You'd have to have a second stationary GPS to record the simultaneous ship speed and direction, and then do a boatload of math to pop out the actual results from the running.

A single GPS would work just fine to measure the track if the ship were docked in port.

Theron

Yes, Carnival does do it right with the running/walking track. Have been on the Victory and the Glory (going on the Glory again in November.) I don't run, but DH and I like to walk and it's nice not having to dodge the chairs.

However, the passengers pulling deck chairs onto the track on RCCL ships do not really bother me when we are walking because I know they don't have much of a choice if they want a little elbow room, and sun. What does bother me, is when I am that passenger, and trying to read a book, or nap in the early afternoon. The runners constant thumping drives me crazy! This with our chairs being where they are suppose to be...off the track.

I really think that "running" around the track should be limited to early morning hours, or early evening hours. It's really safer for everyone. Especially the guy that wants to kick some chairs. You could really mess up your leg that way. :rolleyes: Of course, someone that is a late sleeper and staying on the deck below, could have an issue with the morning runners. :D

Edited by CruisinManiac

When I saw this thread, I was going to crack a joke about using a GPS to measure it... but of course as your daughter observed, that problem becomes quite a bit more complicated (although not impossible) on a moving ship.

What she would find is that her "forward" legs would show as the ship speed plus her running speed, and the "aftward" legs would show as the ship speed minus her running speed. The turns at either end would show up as very close to the ship speed.

You'd have to have a second stationary GPS to record the simultaneous ship speed and direction, and then do a boatload of math to pop out the actual results from the running.

A single GPS would work just fine to measure the track if the ship were docked in port.Theron

SO, if you run in a straight line from bow to stern (or vice versa) with a speed relative to the ship's speed...does that mean you could run continually and never go over the edge of the ship:D

...just me being stupid:p

Yes, Carnival does do it right with the running/walking track. Have been on the Victory and the Glory (going on the Glory again in November.) I don't run, but DH and I like to walk and it's nice not having to dodge the chairs.
Personally, I don't care for tracks that are 10 laps to the mile. It's too boring.

Don't know about Freedom class, but on Voyager class ships if I want to walk after 9/10AM I think deck 5 is best.

Don't know about Freedom class, but on Voyager class ships if I want to walk after 9/10AM I think deck 5 is best.

So, do you just do tiny little circles around the helipad, then?

I know what you mean, though, about 10 laps to the mile being a bit boring. It's been so hot lately that I've been running at my local YMCA, which has an indoor track above the gym. It's 15 laps to the mile, though. So, for my three mile run, that's 45 laps! A bit of a pain trying to keep track, but I find it less boring than using the treadmills.

Edited by Paul65

So, do you just do tiny little circles around the helipad, then?

I know what you mean, though, about 10 laps to the mile being a bit boring. It's been so hot lately that I've been running at my local YMCA, which has an indoor track above the gym. It's 15 laps to the mile, though. So, for my three mile run, that's 45 laps! A bit of a pain trying to keep track, but I find it less boring than using the treadmills.

Actually, if you don't mind some stairs you can circle the whole ship. I'd guess less than three laps per mile.

Actually, if you don't mind some stairs you can circle the whole ship. I'd guess less than three laps per mile.

I know. I was just teasing a little, because you cannot circle the ship on Deck 5; you can only circle the helipad. But if you don't mind the combination of Decks 4 and 5 . . . :)

Personally, I don't care for tracks that are 10 laps to the mile. It's too boring.

We have got to remember that we are on a ship out in the middle of the ocean. Having a running/walking track of any size is better than nothing.

I have an idea! Let's just start running through the hallways. Dodging those steward carts, vacuum cleaners and other passengers will give us more of a work-out! :D

Yeah, my only worry is the distance from my stateroom to the nearest bar.

Cause, you know, it's wrong to smuggle alcohol. :p

If you exercise regularly(ie run on ships track),eat healthy,do not smoke ,take alcohol in moderation(ie no need to smuggle booze on board) you will live a long life and spend the last 10 to 15 years in a nursing home,and die anyway.

Live cautiously and you will arrive safely at death!

On our Alaska cruise in May I was forced to run on the treadmill because I could not handle the cold wind on deck. Running on the treadmill turned out to be ok when I saw a pod of whales jumping out of the water - definitely gave me something fantastic to look at.

We will be on Freedom in November. Can't decide treadmill or track. I am not a big fan of running in circles or on a treadmill, but it has got to be done!

Bill - congrats on your weight loss! I am down 57 due to running as well!

Classify this as a "too much time on my hand post". I'm sure a lot of runners who may cruise, may also have a Garmin GPS watch to record their workouts. It works by recording your exact position via GPS to calculate how far and how fast you have run. I think it might be fun to use such a watch while running on the ships track and the ship it steaming forward on a sea day. The results would be inaccurate but funny.

I did just that last year with my Garmin...for example, in one of my runs, in 30 minutes , it indicated I had run 11.62 miles, and averaged 23.1 MPH, topped out at 30.2 MPH max speed...Whew ! I was hoping that the mapping software would show a sort of Spirograph look as I looped around, and the ship progressed forward, but it looked more like a straight line (probably due to the scale)...for the record, the headwind was unbelievable, and I felt like I was running in place at times....:rolleyes:

David:D

• 3 years later...
I did just that last year with my Garmin...for example, in one of my runs, in 30 minutes , it indicated I had run 11.62 miles, and averaged 23.1 MPH, topped out at 30.2 MPH max speed...Whew ! I was hoping that the mapping software would show a sort of Spirograph look as I looped around, and the ship progressed forward, but it looked more like a straight line (probably due to the scale)...for the record, the headwind was unbelievable, and I felt like I was running in place at times....:rolleyes:

David:D

Funny! :)

Yes, the head wind can be pretty stiff. I'm actually thinking about running on the dreadmill on sea days and using the track early mornings when we are in port or arriving. I figure that the ship will be moving much slower and the wind shouldn't be near as bad.

Funny! :)

Yes, the head wind can be pretty stiff. I'm actually thinking about running on the dreadmill on sea days and using the track early mornings when we are in port or arriving. I figure that the ship will be moving much slower and the wind shouldn't be near as bad.

I was reading this thread just to realize its from 2010! Lol o well.. Have you had any experience with the track on the oasis?

I was reading this thread just to realize its from 2010! Lol o well.. Have you had any experience with the track on the oasis?

The jogging track on Oasis is awesome! It's much better because it's on Deck 5, shaded and deck chairs aren't pulled across the lanes. There are two marked lanes and walkers are supposed to keep to the left lane. Nonetheless, there are people who don't adhere to that and don't pay attention - making you dodge around them. It's still a much more pleasant run than on the smaller ships. I don't remember how many laps = a mile, but I'm looking forward to getting my workouts in on my upcoming cruise on the Allure. There are posted signs of encouragement along the track too.

I linked to it in another thread, someone asking about the length of the track on FOS.

I thought it was ridiculously windy also. Really hard to run. On FOS.

Edited by DrD