Private tour on La Goulette Nov.16, 2010

mac60115

Hello out there:

Is anyone planning or has room on a private tour on La Goulette which will include, Carthage, Medina, and Rabat? If so please contact mac60115. Thanks.

Mac

Hello Mac,

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

It sounds like you will be cruising on an Oceania ship to the Tunisia area, and want to communicate with other passengers who are booked on that cruise in order to form groupings for private tours.

If that is true, you will want to go to the ROLL CALL Board, click on the ship in question and then look for a thread for your particular sailing date.

The Roll Calls were set up so that passengers on a specific sailing can communicate amongst each other easily. They are a great resource!

Hope this helped, have a fantastic cruise!

S&J

I seem to remember a post by ?frqnttrvlr09(?) about having arranged a tour in Tunisia but it falls on a major holiday (I think it is on the IST - C.T. cruise).

Maybe you can find it with a search?

PS Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25385837&highlight=#post25385837

Is that the port you are looking for? If so, contact the OP

When we were there in late 2006, we just hired a taxi. They took us allover. One of the highlights, which is NOT in most guidebooks, is the American cemetery from WWII. It is very much like the one in Normandy and very moving. It doesn't get many visitors, although it is perfectly maintained, so the officer in charge came out and gave us a full tour.

Hi Brew:

Thanks for the information on the hiring a private taxi.... seems like many of the independent tours are already filled for touring Malta and La Gouletta... do you mind telling what you were charged for the independent taxi tour in La Gouletta. Thanks again.

Mac

Hi Brew:

Thanks for the information on the hiring a private taxi.... seems like many of the independent tours are already filled for touring Malta and La Gouletta... do you mind telling what you were charged for the independent taxi tour in La Gouletta. Thanks again.

Mac

Mac,

Try contacting Ben Jebara Mohamed Tahar at mtb dot trvlconsulting at gmail dot com for your Tunisia port stop.

Ken and I spent the whole day with him last Nov. on the Insignia's stop. We had a wonderful day and went everywhere on our wish list to include the WWII cemetery and more. Had a great day, tell him that Jill & Ken sent you from South Carolina.

Jill

Hi Seafarer:

Thanks for the name of the guide in La Gouletta, will check it out, however I have been informed that Nov. 16 is a Muslim holiday and many sites will be closed so waiting till next month to check out options.

Hope to see you on Enchanted Africa cruise. Thanks for assistance.

mac60115

Mac60115

PaulChili is correct. I have arranged a private tour. While it is a sacred Muslim holiday and many religious cites including much of Carthage, will be closed, as well as some shops in the Medina, there are places that will be open. Go to the Roll Call for this cruise and look at my post. I don't know how to contact you.

Be careful though with just grabbing a taxi at the pier..safer to hire from someone in advance and " knowing " for what that is worth in advance who you are dealiing with.

We have never had a problem hiring drivers ( there)..many times infact, but have heard horror stories from many folks on cruises with this itiny, who have taken taxis, felt closeness to the drivers..been driven to mosques but told they could walk around them but could not go in for whatever reasons, but the cab driver being a "local" whatever due to services going on inside..could take the cameras go inside get some photos and meet his people here or there.. when they came back to the taxi..he would be gone as were their expensive cameras and whatever was left in the car..plus they had to figure out how to get back to ship from as far away as Rabat..

just a heads up.. be careful..

Hi Brew:

Mac

Unfortunately, I can't remember what we paid, and there were 6 of us and a wheelchair, so we hired two. Youmight try Portcompass for Malta - we've done well with them for private and small group tours in the past.

• 1 year later...

May I have the name of the guide in La Goulette, We will be on HAL cruise in September and have a day in La Goulette. I believe you had a good guide and I would appreciate if you could let me have his name and contact details.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

ticrdt

Back in November 2005 we were a group of 8 who used Oceania's Executive Van service for the day (which back then had a reasonable price). Our guide was marvelous. Back then his info was:

Akermi Taïeb

BP 93 Gafsa Gare

2111 Tunisia

Dom. 76 270 112

GSM 98 429 297

I don't know if Oceania hired him direct or he worked for a firm hired by Oceania, but his card only gave his personal information. And of course I have no idea of what he would charge a private party.

Mura

According to my notes the highlight of the day was the Bardo Museum, which actually is in Tunis -- but it was our first real stop and I don't recall it being a very long drive to get there. This is a fabulous museum. http://www.patrimoinedetunisie.com.tn/eng/musees/bardo.php

While there another guide came up and announced to us that we had the best guide in town, but for all I know they had a regular agreement to say this to each other's clients. But he WAS very knowledgeable and his English was excellent.

We also toured the Medina and Casbah, but if you have been to one, you've been to all. Did the usual rug visit, of course, but didn't spend much time there since none of us was interested. After lunch in La Goulette we went to Carthage which was very beautiful ... that was somewhat of a drive but an interesting one. Not terribly long, just a longer drive than it took to get to the Bardo from the ship.

Mura

The missing part of the link is tn/eng/musees/bardo.php ... hope that helps. If not, just google Bardo Museum.

When we got off the ship, we negotiated with a cab driver to take us on a tour of places I had researched. IIRC, the port is about six miles from DT.

I agree with Mura (we were on the same cruise in 2005, I think) that the Bardo Museum was fabulous.

We did a self-guided walking tour of the Medina, stoping at the Grand Mosque, Dar Lasram Palace, Dar ben Abdallah Museum, among other places. Didn't do any ruf shopping.

We went on a driving tour of the newer sections of the city.

Archived