Noise issues on Oasis - advice please!!

Ive been reading a few reviews and some people have experienced alot of noise issues? Have any of ye good people experienced this? My worst nightmare is to be awoken in the middle of the night by noisy neighbours? Ive an end of corridor room on Deck 14 - I hope this isnt going to be a problem, please re-assure me!! :)

Just returned from Oasis and we had a central park balcony on deck 14.... right under the beach pool, it was quite noisy during the day from kids running about,and the band at the pool were very loud, but we were hardly in our cabin daytime

we did notice the noise from kids running about up until the curfew at 1am, I think the kids were trying to evade capture !, though it did annoy me as I'm a light sleeper, my hubby and daughter were so tired they never noticed !

wendy

x

Just returned from Oasis and we had a central park balcony on deck 14.... right under the beach pool, it was quite noisy during the day from kids running about,and the band at the pool were very loud, but we were hardly in our cabin daytime

we did notice the noise from kids running about up until the curfew at 1am, I think the kids were trying to evade capture !, though it did annoy me as I'm a light sleeper, my hubby and daughter were so tired they never noticed !

wendy

x

Once i dont have noisy neighbours i dont mind, cant bare being woken up in the middle of the night - any cruise i was on we never had a problem, hopefully they have made the walls thick enough to block sound!

Neighbors change from cruise to cruise! We've never experienced anyone who disturbs our sleep. If you're really super-sensitive, earplugs should be a part of your luggage!

I think most folks sleep much better on a ship than they do at home...the motion, the food, drink, salt air.....I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Well, no one can say for sure what will happen. Every room is different, every cruise is different. I would say you'll be OK, but would be more concerned about what's above you than a possible loud neighbor. You have no control over your neighbors' noise (unless it gets so bad you complain to Guest Relations) but you can control where your cabin is if you are choosing it yourself. We always book between two decks of cabins with nothing going on above or below us; it helps cut down on the possibility of noise.

Anyway, try not to worry about it. You'll have a great time on Oasis. Besides, there's nothing you can do about it and you'll only worry and stress yourself out about it - not what you want on your vacation.

EDITED to add: I just saw the thread about the "noise issues" that has alarmed you so. Please note that this is possible on every single cruise ship in the entire world, not just Oasis. My advice is to hope for good, quiet door-closer neighbors, and to be a quiet door closer yourself. The doors on Oasis are heavy and they do slam shut if you are not paying attention. Just hope for the best. :)

Most experienced travelers simply bring earplugs, so they don't have to depend on circumstance for a good night's sleep.

Others just depend on luck or location, and don't really prepare for things.

There is not any greater likelihood that you will experience these problems on Oasis than on any other ship. Can it happen? Of course it can, but the chances are no greater on Oasis than they are on any other ship you might choose to sail on.:)

Well, no one can say for sure what will happen. Every room is different, every cruise is different. I would say you'll be OK, but would be more concerned about what's above you than a possible loud neighbor. You have no control over your neighbors' noise (unless it gets so bad you complain to Guest Relations) but you can control where your cabin is if you are choosing it yourself. We always book between two decks of cabins with nothing going on above or below us; it helps cut down on the possibility of noise.

Anyway, try not to worry about it. You'll have a great time on Oasis. Besides, there's nothing you can do about it and you'll only worry and stress yourself out about it - not what you want on your vacation.

EDITED to add: I just saw the thread about the "noise issues" that has alarmed you so. Please note that this is possible on every single cruise ship in the entire world, not just Oasis. My advice is to hope for good, quiet door-closer neighbors, and to be a quiet door closer yourself. The doors on Oasis are heavy and they do slam shut if you are not paying attention. Just hope for the best. :)

Thank you so much for your reply, we would be very concerned about door slamming and perhaps not caring for our neighbours, however i presume not every one is like this! I dont actually know whats above us, we are on Deck 14 last room at the back of the ship, when i looked at Deck 15 it seems blank? Could this be luck!!!!

Our room was about 3 over from where the zip line takes off and we had NO noise problems from that or the boardwalk. We were at the end of the hallway, which was nice, a lot less traffic - and luckily this time we were not near a service entrance. That woke me up every time on our Liberty cruise last year ... not that the staff was trying to be noisy, just lots of activity, room service carts, etc. being moved around early in the morning.

My best tip though is to get one of those Sharper Image (or similar) "sound soothers". We sleep with a loud air cleaner at home and so aren't even used to complete quiet. We set it to the sound of the tide going in and out and slept like death!

I think the noise issues that occurred when I was on the Oasis on the 17th was......

ME!!!!! Screaming OMG at everything I did and saw! I am sure guest services was notified on many occasions of the excessive noise I was making and it could explain the strange stares I got every time I passed the desk.:eek:

I do this nightly because I'm a light sleeper and DH snores... haha:

I always bring earplugs with me just in case. That and a iPhone app for white noise as backup. no problems!

Ill defo be packing the ear plugs so just in case!! I always request an end of corridor room as i feel there would be less traffic passing up and down - if anyone has any idea what is over Deck 14 and the back of the ship they might let me know!!! :)

I do this nightly because I'm a light sleeper and DH snores... haha:

I always bring earplugs with me just in case. That and a iPhone app for white noise as backup. no problems!

There's an iphone app for white noise??? What is the app? I use earplugs all the time and it still does not block out everything, especially husband's snoring. However on a cruise he snores less, maybe due to the rocking of the ship. Do tell about the app.

Okay found a free one that I am going to try...I just searched on White Noise

Our room was pretty quiet. The doors were very heavy and blocked almost all noise. I, too, had earplugs do to husband snoring, but they don't really work that well. And, then again, I did hear DZBOSS1 screaming on our cruise!! :) (hi denice!)

Our room was pretty quiet. The doors were very heavy and blocked almost all noise. I, too, had earplugs do to husband snoring, but they don't really work that well. And, then again, I did hear DZBOSS1 screaming on our cruise!! :) (hi denice!)

Hello, thank you for your comment - did you hear any noise from next door, some people have been commenting that they heard their neighbours!! What deck were ye on? We have only one room adjoining ours, we've an end of corridor room :rolleyes:

Hi Cindy!!!

See....I knew people heard me!!!:eek:

I wish we were back on her!!!!:cool:

Hello, thank you for your comment - did you hear any noise from next door, some people have been commenting that they heard their neighbours!! What deck were ye on? We have only one room adjoining ours, we've an end of corridor room :rolleyes:

I happen to have been sleeping with a white noise machine (similar to the ones in front of doctor and shrinks' offices) for 15 years, and before that I used a fan on high. (My hubby uses a CPAP machine so his snoring is non existent, thank goodness). But regardless, even before we turn our machines on, I have never been bothered by the noises on a ship. I have had rooms under the pool, and by elevators....I think once that cabin door closes, it is pretty quiet.

I must be living in stone age, i have never heard of white noise? Can someone tell me what am i missing out on?! It might be an answer to my problems!! :confused:

No problem, I often think I live in the Stone Age with the things I don't know! :D

Because white noise contains all frequencies, it is frequently used to mask other sounds. If you are in a hotel and voices from the room next-door are leaking into your room, you might turn on a fan to drown out the voices. The fan produces a good approximation of white noise. Why does that work? Why does white noise drown out voices?

Here is one way to think about it. Let's say two people are talking at the same time. Your brain can normally "pick out" one of the two voices and actually listen to it and understand it. If three people are talking simultaneously, your brain can probably still pick out one voice. However, if 1,000 people are talking simultaneously, there is no way that your brain can pick out one voice. It turns out that 1,000 people talking together sounds a lot like white noise. So when you turn on a fan to create white noise, you are essentially creating a source of 1,000 voices. The voice next-door makes it 1,001 voices, and your brain can't pick it out any more.

jmraggs, thank you so much for putting me into the 21st century! Quietness is very important to us, obviously there are issues that cant be avoided i.e. slamming of doors but i think a bit of respect from neighbouring cabins should be shown! Might just have to buy myself a mini fan before boarding, i dont think we'll have enough room in our cases to fly it from Ireland!!

Archived