Which airport -JFK, LGW or Newark?

WE are sailing out of New York-Manhattan dock apparently. We are trying to plan our air arrangements.

Which airport is the best to use if we are flying from Toronto and JFK, LGW and Newark are our choices?

I understand there is a bus that will take you from Newark to Penn Station that is $15 each. What is available from the others and how is the best way to get to the port?

Thanks for whatever help can be offered!

WE are sailing out of New York-Manhattan dock apparently. We are trying to plan our air arrangements.

Which airport is the best to use if we are flying from Toronto and JFK, LGW and Newark are our choices?

I understand there is a bus that will take you from Newark to Penn Station that is $15 each. What is available from the others and how is the best way to get to the port?

Thanks for whatever help can be offered!

Having used all 4 NYC airports, your best bet is Newark. followed by LGA.

My son flies regularly from Toronto and would pick Porter every time. Porter flies to Newark.

From Newark there is frequent train (Amtrak and New Jersey transit) service to Penn stn. From Penn to the cruise port you would want a taxi.

There is a frequent express bus service from Newark to the Port Authority Bus Terminal on the west side of midtown. From there to the terminal is a short ride. Google Newark intl airport

From LGA take a taxi or gypsy limo the whole way. If you take a gypsy limo, agree the price in advance.

Forget JFK It is a nightmare to Manhattan. From TO you are probably safe to fly the same day although the day before is always preferable. A decent hotel in midtown on Priceline will be around $200

JFK to and from Manhattan isn't a nightmare. Cabs have a fixed rate of $45 plus toll and tip and take under an hour.

EWR by train and taxi requires at least two transfers first from the skytrain to to either NJ Transit/or Amtrak and then a transfer to a cab.

the buses from the front of any of the terminals are express buses to the Port Authority Bus terminal in Manhattan and then a cab- its much easier with cruise luggage.

from LGA its about a $35 cab ride to Manhattan. If you are going to use a car service reserve one in advance. picking up a "gypsy" cab besides being illegal gets you a shady character.

I agree find the best airfare and itinerary for your flight and then don't worry all the airports want you to get to Manhattan fairly easily. if the price is close LGA is the easiest and closest to the cruise terminal. followed by EWR(although the cabs to and from this airport are the most expensive) and then JFK which at 20 miles is the farthest but if its a weekday and traffic will be bad from JFK it also will be bad from EWR. LGA may not be so bad as you can avoid the highways and still make it to Manhattan which you can't do from EWR or JFK. When weather is bad, they all stink with LGA the worst generally followed by EWR and JFK...don't believe me on this monitor the FAA site that shows delays and EWR worse then JFK. Jfk has the longer runways....

Thanks for your great advise! We have been leaning towards Porter from Toronto as we can depart from the Island Airport which is much less trouble than Toronto International.

You mentioned that there were buses from Newark Airport to the Port Authority Bus Terminal-correct? This means we don't have to go elsewhere to pick up the bus-correct?

How far is the port from the Bus Terminal? What taxi fare can we expect from there to the port?

Thanks again for the help.

We are arriving on Wednesday Oct 13 and plan on flying in the morning. There is no deadline to make the ship as it is berthed until the following day at 6pm. We board on the 13th and then get to spend the next day in NYC-bonus!!

Avril

I would personally avoid Newark for this type for trip. If you were going to stay overnight I would say yes or cruising out of Bayonne NJ I would do.

Newark is in the most congested part of the state and although an overall excellent airport to get into manhattan can be hassle.

There is no direct service from NWK to the cruise terminal in Manhattan so you would have to take either several trains or the port authority bus and a taxi..

Under your circumstances I would go to LGA.. it does have short runways though which make landing and taking off somewhat of an adventures.. because of this it is the least used airport of the three and sometimes the airfares reflect this..

Thanks for your great advise! We have been leaning towards Porter from Toronto as we can depart from the Island Airport which is much less trouble than Toronto International.

You mentioned that there were buses from Newark Airport to the Port Authority Bus Terminal-correct? This means we don't have to go elsewhere to pick up the bus-correct?

How far is the port from the Bus Terminal? What taxi fare can we expect from there to the port?

We are arriving on Wednesday Oct 13 and plan on flying in the morning. There is no deadline to make the ship as it is berthed until the following day at 6pm. We board on the 13th and then get to spend the next day in NYC-bonus!!

Avril

The airport express bus leaves from in front of each terminal, every 15 minutes and takes about 40 minutes to Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan at 41st street and eight avenue. The Manhattan cruise terminal consists of 3 piers in one complex with a single motor entrance at 54-55th street and 12th avenue. You then drive down the terminal's ramp to the piers, pier 88 at 48th street pier 90 at 50th street and pier 92 at 52nd street. each street is 1/20 of a mile and between each avenue is about a 8th of a mile. so its 4 avenues(1/2 a mile) and 13 streets(12/20) to the cruise a little more than a mile in total. Total cab fare about $10.00

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Avril

I respectfully disagree with GBRBEB. Porter into Newark is easier than anything from Pearson. The only caveat is that you will clear immigration in the USA.

As already posted with website attached, there is a bus every 15 mins from each Newark terminal to Manhattan. I believe it's $15. From the port authority bus terminal at 41st and 8th Ave, it will be a short taxi to your ship. Bon Voyage.

The airport express bus leaves from in front of each terminal, every 15 minutes and takes about 40 minutes to Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan at 41st street and eight avenue. The Manhattan cruise terminal consists of 3 piers in one complex with a single motor entrance at 54-55th street and 12th avenue. You then drive down the terminal's ramp to the piers, pier 88 at 48th street pier 90 at 50th street and pier 92 at 52nd street. each street is 1/20 of a mile and between each avenue is about a 8th of a mile. so its 4 avenues(1/2 a mile) and 13 streets(12/20) to the cruise a little more than a mile in total. Total cab fare about $10.00

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Thank you so much for the excellent details on our route from Newark. It will make our trip more enjoyable knowing exactly where we are going!

I would personally avoid Newark for this type for trip. If you were going to stay overnight I would say yes or cruising out of Bayonne NJ I would do.

Newark is in the most congested part of the state and although an overall excellent airport to get into manhattan can be hassle.

There is no direct service from NWK to the cruise terminal in Manhattan so you would have to take either several trains or the port authority bus and a taxi..

Under your circumstances I would go to LGA.. it does have short runways though which make landing and taking off somewhat of an adventures.. because of this it is the least used airport of the three and sometimes the airfares reflect this..

The OP has the following options

YYZ-LGA

YYZ-JFK

YYZ-EWR

YTZ-EWR

While no one here is arguing that LGA is preferred airport on the New York side, most people would agree that YTZ is the preferred airport on the Toronto side; so YYZ-LGA vs YTZ-EWR. I suspect the additional time from EWR is similar to the additional time it takes to get to YYZ, so it comes down to product, and PD/Porter kicks any other airline's butt in this case.

PS; it's EWR not NWK

I respectfully disagree with GBRBEB. Porter into Newark is easier than anything from Pearson. The only caveat is that you will clear immigration in the USA.

As already posted with website attached, there is a bus every 15 mins from each Newark terminal to Manhattan. I believe it's $15. From the port authority bus terminal at 41st and 8th Ave, it will be a short taxi to your ship. Bon Voyage.

I am assuming that PORTER is an airline. My advise is based on the fact that I am a lifelong New Jerseyite (and yes EWR is commonly referred to as NWK for those familiar with Jersey speak)... that being said. As far as Airports go for the op situation LGA is still the best option as regards to the most direct and most cost effective.

I say this because, regardless of the Express Bus option, northern NJ is the most congested are in the NY, NJ, PA area (Im sure NYC ers will probably). Extensive delays into the Lincoln Tunnel (which is where the express bus) are common plus NYC taxi fairs especially waiting fees. Just my opinion.

I regardly attempt to AVOID all NYC metro airports (although Im only 40 MILEs south of NWK) and usually drive 3 hours to Atlantic City...just to avoid the congestion.

I am assuming that PORTER is an airline. My advise is based on the fact that I am a lifelong New Jerseyite (and yes EWR is commonly referred to as NWK for those familiar with Jersey speak)... that being said. As far as Airports go for the op situation LGA is still the best option as regards to the most direct and most cost effective.

I say this because, regardless of the Express Bus option, northern NJ is the most congested are in the NY, NJ, PA area (Im sure NYC ers will probably). Extensive delays into the Lincoln Tunnel (which is where the express bus) are common plus NYC taxi fairs especially waiting fees. Just my opinion.

I regardly attempt to AVOID all NYC metro airports (although Im only 40 MILEs south of NWK) and usually drive 3 hours to Atlantic City...just to avoid the congestion.

You are correct in assuming Porter is an airline. It flies from downtown Toronto to NYC, Boston and I think Chicago. Because it flies from downtown, it is cleaning the other airlines' clocks.

Correcting typos.........

I say this because, regardless of the Express Bus option, northern NJ is the most congested area in the NY, NJ, PA area (Im sure NYC ers will probably disagree ). Extensive delays into the Lincoln Tunnel (which is where the express bus goes) are common plus NYC taxi fairs especially waiting fees. Just my opinion.

I regularly attempt to AVOID all NYC metro airports (although Im only 40 MILEs south of NWK) and usually drive 3 hours to Atlantic City...just to avoid the congestion.

I say this because, regardless of the Express Bus option, northern NJ is the most congested area in the NY, NJ, PA area (Im sure NYC ers will probably disagree ). Extensive delays into the Lincoln Tunnel (which is where the express bus goes) are common plus NYC taxi fairs especially waiting fees. Just my opinion.

I regularly attempt to AVOID all NYC metro airports (although Im only 40 MILEs south of NWK) and usually drive 3 hours to Atlantic City...just to avoid the congestion.

I live in NYC its rare for the express buses to be delayed as they get priority treatment. Amtrak and NJ transit can be delayed as well. I don't disagree that there is traffic in NYC(although I think Atlanta and California are worse).

I occasionally drive to Philly to that airport as it has cheaper fares and is about an hour or so south of here. I have left twice from the cruise terminal in Philly.

but then this sort of makes LGA/jfk the better place to fly in and out of. they are closer and at least from/to JFK from Manhattan there is no meter clicking away as it is a set fee for a NY Taxi. There is a bus/train option from JFK but only a bus from LGA which I never recommend. With 2 people the savings from LGA on a bus are so small as to not be worth the bother.

Yes, Porter is an airline; a small one, but still an airline. Unlike most of the airlines operating into metro NY from Toronto (AEagle, Comair, Pinnacle, Colgan,ExpressJet) they're an independant, and not operating on behalf of someone else.

You're making the assumption that it's just as easy to get to YYZ and it is to YTZ on the Toronto side, and assuming the only traffic jams are in Metro New York; which just isn't the case.

It may be that the extra ½ hour the OP takes to get in from EWR is made up by the ½ hour they don't have to endure to get to YYZ in the 1st place.

Yes, Porter is an airline; a small one, but still an airline. Unlike most of the airlines operating into metro NY from Toronto (AEagle, Comair, Pinnacle, Colgan,ExpressJet) they're an independant, and not operating on behalf of someone else.

You're making the assumption that it's just as easy to get to YYZ and it is to YTZ on the Toronto side, and assuming the only traffic jams are in Metro New York; which just isn't the case.

It may be that the extra ½ hour the OP takes to get in from EWR is made up by the ½ hour they don't have to endure to get to YYZ in the 1st place.

I will add my two cents worth re Porter!

I have flown on it before from Toronto to Ottawa on business. It is a great airline. It has just expanded it's NY flights (to Newark) to 11 flights per day!!! One almost every hour from 6:30am onward. Leather seats-pleanty of room, great service. To get to the island airport you can take the public transit subway to the Royal York Hotel and hop on the free shuttle bus that takes you to the little ferry boat across to the island. Of course you can take a taxi as well but the subway and shuttle are the easiest way to go. They are certainly giving the other airlines a run for their money.

We will be taking it home from the cruise as well but from Quebec City-several flights from there as well.

Tnaks again for all your input-it has been very helpful in our planning of this "adventure".

Avril

Since you're not cruising the day you fly in....LGA is the best....and closest to Manhattan.

You can take a public bus into the city. (They now have luggage racks on this route.)

It's the M60....and then switch to the subway. Since I don't know where you're staying...I can't give you more specific info. You'd have to look at the subway map.

Since you're not cruising the day you fly in....LGA is the best....and closest to Manhattan.

You can take a public bus into the city. (They now have luggage racks on this route.)

It's the M60....and then switch to the subway. Since I don't know where you're staying...I can't give you more specific info. You'd have to look at the subway map.

I would concur with this..

I wasn't making any assumption at all about the canadian airports. Just advising the OP what are the best airports in the NYC area that will allow them to get to the cruise port.

Although the express buses do get priority sometimes it can take significantly longer to get through the licoln tunnel than 1/2 hour.

They would have to avoid rush hour (which starts around 6:30AM til about 10 AM) and even after that its very iffy

Thanks for the info on PORTER.

Archived