TSA Rules with one Quart Bags..

serendipity1499

Someone mentioned toothpaste. A couple of months ago in Vancouver they made me remove and discard a 4 oz tube of toothpaste that was clearly almost empty, since it was over the 3 oz limit. It was no big deal (I was going to use it once more and discard anyway), but I thought it was sort of strange. I guess it depends on the security person.

DaveOKC

No milk? What's this world coming to?:eek: Seriously though, I think I will try the PB sandwiches next time. The worst thing they can do is take them away from me. I like the suggestion of the dry noodles soup. I don't mind the idea of buying food on the plane---if only it were edible life would be good and I wouldn't have to resort to a picnic in my seat.

You can bring snacks aboard to eat. We do it all the time on a variety of airlines. We haven't had any trouble with TSA for food. However, I would not recommend PEANUT butter sandwiches or any snacks with peanuts in them since if any passenger is highly allergic to peanuts (and it's more common than you think), there could be severe problems.

We usually take granola bars for snacks, or we stop at Subway on the way to the airport and buy a $5 footlong and have it packaged as 2 sandwiches. We've also bought hamburgers to go at airport McDonald's and brought those aboard to eat.

Someone mentioned toothpaste. A couple of months ago in Vancouver they made me remove and discard a 4 oz tube of toothpaste that was clearly almost empty, since it was over the 3 oz limit. It was no big deal (I was going to use it once more and discard anyway), but I thought it was sort of strange. I guess it depends on the security person.

DaveOKC

It's the rule. It doesn't have to make sense. I've given up hoping for logic or consistent enforecement. I'm surprised someone noticed. I guess some inspectors have learned why typical 3 oz sizes look like.

You can bring snacks aboard to eat. We do it all the time on a variety of airlines. We haven't had any trouble with TSA for food. However, I would not recommend PEANUT butter sandwiches or any snacks with peanuts in them since if any passenger is highly allergic to peanuts (and it's more common than you think), there could be severe problems.

We usually take granola bars for snacks, or we stop at Subway on the way to the airport and buy a $5 footlong and have it packaged as 2 sandwiches. We've also bought hamburgers to go at airport McDonald's and brought those aboard to eat.

I can't speak for Sapper but I think it's the point of having something homemade and possibly cheaper. It's very expensive to buy food in Calgary inside or outside the airport. Usually if I bring something from home it's something more healthy then you can buy. I don't eat Rotten Ronnie's (a.k.a McDonald's) at home and don't really care to at the airport either.

I would not share my food. :eek:I'm not allergic to PB and that is usually my snack at night since I eat after my insulin shot. I'm sorry but no fast food for us. Subway is okay but no burgers. :)

• 3 weeks later...
An earlier poster mentioned that they had to throw out items from a one quart bag because it was too full. We have always used gallon zip locks and have never had a problem.
Here is an FYI for anyone who uses gallon sized Ziplocks instead of quart sized. I got back from a short business trip last night. Since we were only gone for 3 days, I used a carry-on bag. My coworker also had a carry-on, but she used a gallon-sized bag for her liquids.

She didn't have any problems with the gallon bag at Bush Airport (IAH) in Houston on the trip to New Orleans. However, on the way back she ran into a problem at the New Orleans (MSY) airport. The TSA agent wouldn't let her bring the gallon-sized bag of liquids onto the plane. The gallon bag was loosely packed. Because of traffic and long security lines, it was less than a hour before flight time so she couldn't check her bag either. She had to throw all her liquids away. At least it was on the way home and not on the way to the meetings.

Here is an FYI for anyone who uses gallon sized Ziplocks instead of quart sized. I got back from a short business trip last night. Since we were only gone for 3 days, I used a carry-on bag. My coworker also had a carry-on, but she used a gallon-sized bag for her liquids.

She didn't have any problems with the gallon bag at Bush Airport (IAH) in Houston on the trip to New Orleans. However, on the way back she ran into a problem at the New Orleans (MSY) airport. The TSA agent wouldn't let her bring the gallon-sized bag of liquids onto the plane. The gallon bag was loosely packed. Because of traffic and long security lines, it was less than a hour before flight time so she couldn't check her bag either. She had to throw all her liquids away. At least it was on the way home and not on the way to the meetings.

When these rules first came into place a few years ago I thought you could take the gallon bag. I got through Calgary fine but coming back through Fort Lauderdale it was no dice. Luckily someone in line had a quart size bag but I still had to throw some liquids away. I was so grateful to the person! I now carry extra quart bags now so I may be able to help someone if it's needed. I just wouldn't take the chance that you could get away with a bigger bag. Thank you for the reminder.

What's wrong with it being in a small plastic bag inside a plastic/vinyl makeup bag? Well, I will get out of this as I have to admit I'm in very unfamiliar territory.:o

One time my nail polish and Pepto Bismol both exploded in my checked bag. Fortunately I had them double-bagged, and when I sent the messy photo to the ZipLoc people, I got a coupon for free bags for my packing idea. I know my clothes would have been ruined otherwise.

When these rules first came into place a few years ago I thought you could take the gallon bag. I got through Calgary fine but coming back through Fort Lauderdale it was no dice. Luckily someone in line had a quart size bag but I still had to throw some liquids away. I was so grateful to the person! I now carry extra quart bags now so I may be able to help someone if it's needed. I just wouldn't take the chance that you could get away with a bigger bag. Thank you for the reminder.

When the baggie rule was new, we went to England. I had checked out the rules, and we were fine. On the return flight through Heathrow, we saw tables set up with employees holding up quart baggies and telling people what they had to do. Lots and lots of people were at the tables fishing out their liquids and packing them into baggies.

This past spring we flew home from Manchester. There were no baggies given out. Instead, there was a bank of vending machines where you could buy a baggie if you needed one.

One time my nail polish and Pepto Bismol both exploded in my checked bag. Fortunately I had them double-bagged, and when I sent the messy photo to the ZipLoc people, I got a coupon for free bags for my packing idea. I know my clothes would have been ruined otherwise.

I pack everything in my bags in zipper bags, even my clothes. In addition to toiletries leaking, I've had bags sitting out on the tarmac in a rainstorm (they started unloading bags, but before they could finish they closed the tarmac due to lightning in the airport) and the rain leaking through the bags soaking things. Also, means that even if the toiletries leak and manage to get out of the one ziploc bag, they probably aren't going to get through the 2nd one. Also, makes it easier if the TSA searches the bag, because they can see everything easily without having to touch my stuff.

I pack everything in my bags in zipper bags, even my clothes. In addition to toiletries leaking, I've had bags sitting out on the tarmac in a rainstorm (they started unloading bags, but before they could finish they closed the tarmac due to lightning in the airport) and the rain leaking through the bags soaking things. Also, means that even if the toiletries leak and manage to get out of the one ziploc bag, they probably aren't going to get through the 2nd one. Also, makes it easier if the TSA searches the bag, because they can see everything easily without having to touch my stuff.

And reduces the chance that something will fall out and not get put back during a search. I use 2-gal bags for clothes. You can get several t-shirts or dress shorts or turtlenecks in one of the bags. Unpacking is quick--I just toss the bags into drawers and we pull out items as we need them.

And reduces the chance that something will fall out and not get put back during a search. I use 2-gal bags for clothes. You can get several t-shirts or dress shorts or turtlenecks in one of the bags. Unpacking is quick--I just toss the bags into drawers and we pull out items as we need them.

Yep that's the size I use - in fact was using them today as I packed.

My Goodness..Can't believe this thread is still going..Well I took all of your advice when we left RSW on Aug 12 & we sailed through TSA.. Even put my lipstick in the one Quart Bag..

<SNIP>

I've always packed wet wipes, lipstick, lip balm, and those lovely nail polish remover pads in my carry on bag, not inside the ziplock. I've also never had them questioned. Mascara is the item that I'm never sure about so I pack it in the ziplock to be safe.

Forgot on our return out of JFK to put my Lipstick in the one Quart bag , but nothing was said..Made sure DH was not carrying anything that looked too girlish, so he would not be embarrassed..

The last couple of times I did not take out the quart bag with liquids from my carry-on and I don't recall seeing anyone else do it. TSA did not say anything. I realize that that may not hold true for other airports or TSA individuals.

I have not put chapstick in the baggie for a very long time.

Believe TSA Agents are much too busy in NYC to even notice if you take out the one quart bag or not..The lines were quite long & I never noticed many Psgrs. putting one quart bags in the TSA containers..

Did not take hair spray, mousse or deoderant..Instread purchased that in NYC..Also did not carry shampoo, body lotion, or conditioner, as we used the Elemis on the Ship..

It worked out well...I even remembered to wear socks as hate taking off shoes & walking in bare feet in a public place..

What blew my mind, was JFK Airport...DH & I once worked there & it's been 22 years since we were in JFK..We never would be able find our way around it now..Also paying $28 plus for two sandwiches, a fries & a cole slaw was an eye opener..Had forgotten that airport prices are so high...

DH still hates to fly, so it will be a while before I'll convince him to take a cruise out of another city again, but all in all he & I really enjoyed our whole trip to see family & cruise to Bermuda..

Also agree with Ruth, HAL's transfer to JFK was well worth the cost..Our luggage was separated from the main group & we were on the coach very quickly..

Thanks everyone for answering my questions & wish you all "Fair Winds & Following Seas" !

Cheers...:)Betty

Some of you who travel that need liquids check the TSA sight find out if you can freeze your liquids and bring it on.New machines were being installed that can test your bags as they go through it might mean the elimanation of the QT.bags.Also go through your carrying on bag the morning of your departure you have all ready showered done your hair why put stuff in your bag thats goig to slow you down and everyone else and one other item you need to look at make sure your hair dryer is cool before you put it in your carry on or checked bags.Ladies its going to be winter soon if you wear boots put them in your carry on or carry them in and wear flats so you can get through security line faster.If you have meds.take them out and put them in a bowel tell the operator what you have done so someone can test them.

Archived