TSA Rules with one Quart Bags..

serendipity1499

Ir's been several years since we've flown to the port & I need some advice from frequent flyers..

We're packed & ready to go except for the cosmetics, etc.. And I feel so dumb, :o but I can't remember what I did for our Alaska cruise..

Have checked TSA rules & I'm interpreting them to mean that if I can get 6-8 small 3 oz or less bottles of liquid in the one quart bag, that's OK..Am I interpreting them correctly?

What about my Nail polish, top coat & speed dryer...Do I have to put them in a one quart bag too...It's no problem, If I do as DH never carries liquids, so we each can take a one quart bag...

Going to make dinner now & will return for your answers a bit later..

Thanks to anyone who who can answer my question..

Cheers....Betty

Ir's been several years since we've flown to the port & I need some advice from frequent flyers..

We're packed & ready to go except for the cosmetics, etc.. And I feel so dumb, :o but I can't remember what I did for our Alaska cruise..

Have checked TSA rules & I'm interpreting them to mean that if I can get 6-8 small 3 oz or less bottles of liquid in the one quart bag, that's OK..Am I interpreting them correctly? yes

What about my Nail polish, top coat & speed dryer...Do I have to put them in a one quart bag too...It's no problem, If I do as DH never carries liquids, so we each can take a one quart bag... If it is in carry on, you do. All liquids and gels in carry on must be in that bag, including toothpaste and deoderant.

Going to make dinner now & will return for your answers a bit later..

Thanks to anyone who who can answer my question..

Cheers....Betty

See above.

Hi Betty-you are right on track. For your carry-on items, any liquids, lotions, gels, and creams are to be in 3.3 or 3.2 oz or smaller containers, and IIRC even things like lipstick, lip balms, and deodorant sticks are also required to be in 1qt plastic bags, if they are in carry-on bags. So, you may have to divide up your items with your DH. You can also take food items/snacks with you through security. So far, I have never encountered a problem carrying these items, even when I have forgotten to take the ziplock-type bag out of my carry-on bag. After you pass through security, you can purchase water, coffee, tea and soft drinks and take them on the plane with you. Have a great trip and cruise. :)

Yes, lipstick and lip balm have to be in the baggie, too. You can have liquids and gels in your packed bags, too. I put things unlikely to spill (like deodorant, toothpaste) into my checked luggage so that I can get the things I most worry about into the baggies. For nail polish remover, consider buying wipes in individual packets, or buying a bottle at your designation airport.

It's also a good idea to put watches, belts, any heavy jewelry into your carry on, rather than removing them and dumping them into a bin when you get to the x-ray machine. It's what they suggest now, and it makes things go faster and you're less likley to lose stuff. The baggie is supposed to be out of your carryon and in one of the bins. Don't worry about "his" and "hers" contents. My DH's bag always has some of my stuff in it. Nobody has ever said anything about that.

It becomes quite a juggling act, getting the baggie out of the carryon and into a bin, loose bits into the carryon, shoes off and into a bin, and I travel with my laptop, which means another thing out of its carrier and into yet another bin. And then we have to collect it all after it goes through the machine and put ouselves back to rights.

You can only have one of the one quart zip loc bags in your carryon for normal toilet type articles. If you take any liquid medications, they can be in their own zip loc and are permitted in addtion to your 'toilet articles'.

You can put as many zip locs as you wish in your checked baggage.

Have a great time!

I had a great TSA last Jan. at Midway. I had all our medications in our carryons. He saw our insulin, needles, etc. In a bag I used as my purse I had water, juice, crackers, cookies, a couple pieces of fruit and a container of applesauce. I was ready to throw them away if I had to but the TSA said since both of us were diabetic he would let this stuff pass. This stuff is so expensive when you buy it at the airport. He said it was insensative not to allow it. But, he also said not all TSA's are as sensative as he is. I'm hoping we have another nice one in Nov.

I did have a qt. bag with toothpaste, etc. in both of our carryons. I am going to take the suggestion and have my watch and medical necklace in another bag, easier than trying to take it off. Thanks for the suggestion. I have to take care of everything being checked in since DH is being checked for his double knee replacements.

Have a great trip Betty.:)

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/page.aspx?id=5&pname=PermittedItems_ArticlesPermis&lang=en&CategoryID=4

According to CATSA you are allowed to carry a solid lipstick and a solid deodourant outside of the one quart bag.

I found this to be true in the US as well as I flew from Bangor, Maine to NYC and return in June with lipstick in my purse and the deodourant loose in my carry-on. I also flew from Calgary to San Diego in April with them and had no problem on any of the flights.

Ditto to what Sail7seas said. Question?? Why would you need to carry nail polish remover on your carry on bag.. Place it in your checked bag.

Of course being a male....maybe there is something I don't realize.

Nail polish in a glass container is the one thing that I would never put in a checked bag. You would never get it out of your clothes if you had an accident with it.:eek: It goes in my carry on in the one quart bag.

The quart bag should be "loosely packed" so the items can move around at least a little. I've had one that I stuffed too many things into. It was closed but the TSA agent said it was too full and I had to dispose of a couple items. She let me pick which ones to remove so I got rid of the small shampoo and conditioner bottles. I usually carry them because some hotels have brands that I don't like or have shampoo but no conditioner.

If your husband doesn't carry many liquids, you can put some of your items into his bag. My husband is used to that by now. I guess he gets a few strange looks when my make-up is in his bag, but most people don't pay any attention.

Nail polish in a glass container is the one thing that I would never put in a checked bag. You would never get it out of your clothes if you had an accident with it.:eek: It goes in my carry on in the one quart bag.

What's wrong with it being in a small plastic bag inside a plastic/vinyl makeup bag? Well, I will get out of this as I have to admit I'm in very unfamiliar territory.:o

What's wrong with it being in a small plastic bag inside a plastic/vinyl makeup bag? Well, I will get out of this as I have to admit I'm in very unfamiliar territory.:o

It's potentially too destructive. It's part (or all) acetone, a solvent that can dissolve holes in synthetic fabrics. It can bleach the dye out of fabrics it doesn't dissolve. And being a thin liquid, it is more likley to seep out due to lack of pressure in the hold than shampoo or hand lotion. If shampoo leaks, it can be rinsed out. I would never trust nail polish remover.

Ditto to what Sail7seas said. Question?? Why would you need to carry nail polish remover in your carry on bag.. Place it in your checked bag.

Of course being a male....maybe there is something I don't realize.

They make pre-moistened nail polish remover pads now. I've found them at Walmart in the travel/sample size section. They come in packs of 4 individually wrapped pads (like a moist towelette) for around $1. Unless I've got glitter polish on, I can remove the polish from all 10 fingernails with one pad. They are great for travel. I don't worry about nail polish remover leaking and damaging my clothes.

I've packed glass nail polish bottles in checked bags, but I wrap it in some bubble wrap, seal it in a ziplock, and put it inside a shoe for protection. I've never had a problem (yet :p). Those glass bottle really are tougher than you think. My cats and I (usually the cats) have knocked several of them off my bathroom counter onto the tile floor and never had one break.

I stopped traveling with plastic bottle of nail polish remover and buy the individual pads of remover packaged in foil wrappers. Much easier and safer. :)

Kyriecat..... Thanks for your tip about the zip loc not being packed too full. I always jam as much as I can into it. Been lucky so far and it has passed inspection but I imagine my luck may be running out. I truly didn't know there was a limit as to how full we could fill our one quart baggie. :eek:

If your husband doesn't carry many liquids, you can put some of your items into his bag. My husband is used to that by now. I guess he gets a few strange looks when my make-up is in his bag, but most people don't pay any attention.

Ha Ha---I did that to my husband on our way to San Diego. I had put a silver cylinder of hairspray which had very tiny lettering into his plastic bag without telling him. I went through security ahead of him and could not understand what was holding him up. I then saw him pointing at me and the TSA guy held up the bag and shouted "what's this"? My husband had told him he had never seen it before in his life and didn't know what it was. When I shouted back "hairpspray" he seemed to accept that and sent my flustered husband on his way. I promised never to do that to him again. :o

I had a great TSA last Jan. at Midway. I had all our medications in our carryons. He saw our insulin, needles, etc. In a bag I used as my purse I had water, juice, crackers, cookies, a couple pieces of fruit and a container of applesauce. I was ready to throw them away if I had to but the TSA said since both of us were diabetic he would let this stuff pass. This stuff is so expensive when you buy it at the airport. He said it was insensative not to allow it. But, he also said not all TSA's are as sensative as he is. I'm hoping we have another nice one in Nov.

I did have a qt. bag with toothpaste, etc. in both of our carryons. I am going to take the suggestion and have my watch and medical necklace in another bag, easier than trying to take it off. Thanks for the suggestion. I have to take care of everything being checked in since DH is being checked for his double knee replacements.

I wouldn't count on getting someone that lenient again. He was very nice to you, but he also wasn't following the rules. If a supervisor had seen him, he might have got in trouble.

I agree that water and juice are expensive to buy in the airport. They always were, but now that stores know pax have no other options, they charge as much as they like.

One thing to note, the original size of the toiletry item must be 100 ml (3.4 oz) or less. You cannot take a 6 oz. liquid item that is 1/2 full for example. Lip balm and wet wipes are always kind of an area I'm not sure on. I put them in my ziploc bag if I remember. I've forgotten to do so many times and they did not say anything any of those times.

To the poster who said the TSA agent was being nice by letting them bring juice, water and food as required for diabetes, he was also following TSA rules - other TSA agents should also. But you need to declare these items up front and put them in a separate bin (not in a zip loc bag) for inspection.

From TSA's website: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes; Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition; However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3.4 ounces (100ml) each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member.

One thing to note, the original size of the toiletry item must be 100 ml (3.4 oz) or less. You cannot take a 6 oz. liquid item that is 1/2 full for example. Lip balm and wet wipes are always kind of an area I'm not sure on. I put them in my ziploc bag if I remember. I've forgotten to do so many times and they did not say anything any of those times.

To the poster who said the TSA agent was being nice by letting them bring juice, water and food as required for diabetes, he was also following TSA rules - other TSA agents should also. But you need to declare these items up front and put them in a separate bin (not in a zip loc bag) for inspection.

From TSA's website: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes; Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition; However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3.4 ounces (100ml) each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member.

Don't worry about the wet wipes. I have carried them on every flight I have been on since these rules went into place and always have them loose in my carry-on. They are not a problem US or Canada.

I stopped traveling with plastic bottle of nail polish remover and buy the individual pads of remover packaged in foil wrappers. Much easier and safer. :)

Kyriecat..... Thanks for your tip about the zip loc not being packed too full. I always jam as much as I can into it. Been lucky so far and it has passed inspection but I imagine my luck may be running out. I truly didn't know there was a limit as to how full we could fill our one quart baggie. :eek:

Technically, the TSA website doesn't really say how packed the bag should be so I'm not sure if "loosely" is a rule or just a certain inspector's preference. She said the bag doesn't scan properly if it is over-stuffed. Until mine got stopped, I was like you and figured that as long as it sealed, it was okay. I hadn't previously had a problem, but I only fly 3-4 roundtrips per year. Since my husband normally only takes shampoo and shaving cream in his bag, it's easier just to put some of my items into his. I haven't been stopped since.

Ha Ha---I did that to my husband on our way to San Diego. I had put a silver cylinder of hairspray which had very tiny lettering into his plastic bag without telling him. I went through security ahead of him and could not understand what was holding him up. I then saw him pointing at me and the TSA guy held up the bag and shouted "what's this"? My husband had told him he had never seen it before in his life and didn't know what it was. When I shouted back "hairpspray" he seemed to accept that and sent my flustered husband on his way. I promised never to do that to him again. :o
That's funny! Your poor husband! I let my husband know that I'm putting my things in his bag. He's okay with it, but he prefers that I put my "gender neutral" items (shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, hairspray or gel are okay) in his bag. He prefers not to have mascara, lip gloss, foundation, or face cream. I've tried to tell him that the glam-rock look is back for men (anyone seen Adam Lambert lately :eek::confused:). Hubby is not buying it (Thank goodness!). I can't really imagine being married to a man who wears more make-up than I do, although I thought those guys from Poison were hot when I was in high school. What was I thinking!?!?!:confused:

I've always packed wet wipes, lipstick, lip balm, and those lovely nail polish remover pads in my carry on bag, not inside the ziplock. I've also never had them questioned. Mascara is the item that I'm never sure about so I pack it in the ziplock to be safe.

While the TSA person seemed to be nice to you, he was not doing his job and following procedures ... coulda got disciplined/fired for being so "nice". Part of the problem with the current security policies is the inconsistencies in enforcement.

Of course you may bring food thru the security checkpoint ... in addition to fruits and sandwiches/snacks, you may bring things like applesauce as long as it is in a 3oz container in your ziploc with other liquids and gels. As for water ... agree it's very expensive at the airport (I could buy a whole case for the cost of one bottle of airport water) ... consider bringing an empty water bottle thru security and filling it airside. TSA will permit that, tho they make look at it to be sure it's empty.

For future travels, don't count on getting the same treatment as you did recently.

Archived