Review of coffee on princess

chrisxmoa

:confused:i am a huge coffee drinker, and im debating whether to bring my own coffee onto the ship because i've heard that the coffee tastes horrid.

what does everybody think ?

The coffee is HORRID! If you are truly a coffee snob....I strongly suggest you bring your own or purchase the coffee card. When it comes to coffee on a Princess cruise....its like the American Express card.....don't leave home without it.

Just got off the CB from July 29th. IM0 the coffee in the Horizon Court buffet is horrendous and yet some people like it. The coffee in the main dining room (MDR) is drinkable but I bought the coffee card and used it the entire cruise for Iced Lattes (decaf) and they were divine!!

Last year I brought on my Folgers singles and never had a problem ordering hot water for them. If you truly love coffee - don't chance it...bring your own on the ship and enjoy it.

:)

:confused:i am a huge coffee drinker, and im debating whether to bring my own coffee onto the ship because i've heard that the coffee tastes horrid.

what does everybody think ?

Hi there. Charlie and I had sailed 4 different Princess ships and always found the Horizon Buffet coffee to be undrinkable. Dining room coffee was just fine.Thru our Cruise Critic friends on these Boards, we learned that the Horizon utilizes coffee syrup and the other dining venues have brewed. It was suggested that we purchase a coffee card (about $24 plus tax) and get unlimited brewed coffee, unlimited choice from a vast array of specialty tea bags and 15 servings of specialty coffee (cappuccinos, espressos, hot chocolate and the like) from various places on the ship (like the International Cafe). We did that on our B2B last month and we were in heaven. Great coffee! I would get a large to go and take it up to Horizon and enjoy a wonderful breakfast overlooking the seas. Bliss!

Another benefit, the card is only punched for the 15 special coffee servings, so if punches remain, the card is fully usable on your next Princess cruise. A real value. Further, if you ticket your cruise thru a travel agent, you often receive a coupon book for use on your cruise. In it you will likely find a 2 for 1 coffee card coupon. Hope this has helped. Have a wonderful cruise. Anne

what does a coffee card go for on the ship ?

We paid $27 for our cards this trip. Unlimited brewed coffee and 15 speciality drinks.

The caramel iced lattes were to die for. You could ask for frozen ones too. A lot of people must like caramel - because he ran out on the last day. Perhaps that was because of people like ME asking for extra caramel - and yes, I'm on a diet this week. L0L

We paid $27 for our cards this trip. Unlimited brewed coffee and 15 speciality drinks.

The caramel iced lattes were to die for. You could ask for frozen ones too. A lot of people must like caramel - because he ran out on the last day. Perhaps that was because of people like ME asking for extra caramel - and yes, I'm on a diet this week. L0L

lolll....well i'm dieting before the cruise..but on the cruise ...the inner fat kid is coming out and i will be inhaling alot of the caramel drinks !

I'm not a coffee snob but I did not like the Horizon Court coffee. Out of the four coffee drinkers in our group, no one actually liked it but three tolerated it. I just asked the waiter to pour half hot chocolate and half coffee. That made the coffee much more tolerable for me.

The coffee in the International DR was pretty good.

The complimentary coffee is all made from the syrup concentrate. Dining room, Buffet or room service, it is all made from the same syrup (possibly mixed different, but still all from syrup). For brewed coffee you have to either purchase each cup or buy a coffee card which allows unlimited brewed coffee. Some think it tastes better from room service or in the dining room, but honestly, it is all the same.

As I have said a zillion times before, I can't drink the stuff myself. It smells really terrible and the taste is even worse. That is why we always go prepared with our own. ;)

The complimentary coffee is all made from the syrup concentrate. Dining room, Buffet or room service, it is all made from the same syrup (possibly mixed different, but still all from syrup). For brewed coffee you have to either purchase each cup or buy a coffee card which allows unlimited brewed coffee. Some think it tastes better from room service or in the dining room, but honestly, it is all the same.

As I have said a zillion times before, I can't drink the stuff myself. It smells really terrible and the taste is even worse. That is why we always go prepared with our own. ;)

Since the MDR and the HC coffee are the same syrup (cocentrate) coffee then I would think that a true coffee snob could tell the difference. Perhaps the venue makes it tastes different, but then, a true coffeeholic would know.

Anyway, not being a coffee snob, I can drink the HC or the coffee card stuff. We ahve coffee cards and will usually get the fresh brewed in the IC.

Exactly, it is why I can tell the difference. lol Honestly, the smell alone gives it away in all venues, except the coffee bar where fresh brewed is available. ;)

And you are saying that the MDR coffee is better than the HC coffee even though it is the same. I don't understand.

And you are saying that the MDR coffee is better than the HC coffee even though it is the same. I don't understand.

OH NO, not saying that at all. It is the same stuff, wouldn't drink it either place. I do try it each cruise in hopes it improves, but one sip is all I can handle. ;)

I find the coffee served in the dining rooms to be undrinkable. Assume it is the same for the buffet, but don't go there. I bring my own coffee and a coffee press plus I get a coffee card. The brewed coffee is OK as are the specialty coffees. The stuff from the concentrate they serve in the DRs & buffet is a half step up from instant.

I tried the coffee in the Horizon buffet. The regular was drinkable but not particularly good. The decaf was pretty awful - reminiscent of old style instant. I never tried it in the dining room.

I bought the coffee card and enjoyed getting lattes at the International Cafe, the buffets and the dining room with it. My son often got brewed coffee with it, but that was only available at the IC.

I am uncomfortable with passengers bringing on regular coffee makers to use in their cabins, since I think it could be a fire hazard. Are they even allowed? But it is obvious that many people do indeed travel with them.

The complimentary coffee is all made from the syrup concentrate. Dining room, Buffet or room service, it is all made from the same syrup (possibly mixed different, but still all from syrup).

They definitely must do something different if the same "syrup" is served in HC as well as International DR because they don't taste the same to my unsophisticated coffee palate. I got the impression the coffee in the DR was fresh brewed.

Just curious, how do you know it's the same in both?

In any case, cream & sugar sure help. :D

How do you drink your coffee?

I drink mine black. I found the MDR and room service coffee to be okay. The buffet coffee isn't very good as dispensed. I found that it varied by dispenser. It seemed thick and very strong. It's a concentrate, so if the added water isn't enough, it will be that way.

If you drink black coffee, you can try this at the buffet. Dispense a little into a cup and taste it. Then mix coffee and hot water to meet your taste. I did this and found it to make the coffee drinakable.

Archived