help with San Diego port

bcnvcanada

I think the San Diego port is the most convenient of any I have used. It is barely 2miles from the airport. The usual rule of thumb to estimate taxi cost is about $2.20 to start and then about $2.30 for each mile soo from the airport to the port would be about $6.80 + tip. I don't know if there is an extra fee for lots of luggage.

Sorry, forgot your question about arrival time. I think we got to the ship about 11:30AM. They didn't start letting anyone on until noon and we waited until about 12:40 to board.

Sorry, My DH says I MISspoke. We arrived at about noon as the first group of people were being allowed onto the ship. We waited about 30-40min. to board. I don't know which cruise line you are on so don't know if it will be exactly the same.

Couple of questions. The port does not look far from the airport by google. Is it? Apx. cab fare for two with four cases? We have to get usd so this would greatly help us. Time to arrive at the dock? thank you

Grab the free shuttle to the Holiday Inn - On the bay, and grab a drink at the bar and walk across the street to board...So easy a cave man can do it...

• 2 weeks later...
There are several hotels with free shuttles and the Hi Inn ON THE BAY is one of them. The Doubletree Downtown is another.

But the Holiday Inn is across the street, a short distance to walk...and if your flight gets in the morning of the cruise you can ride the shuttle for free and hangout at the bar untill time to board.

We're coming in the day before. I'm looking at the Marriott at the convention center and the Holiday Inn on the Bay. I can get a great deal at the Marriot through friends and family that makes it cheaper than the HI, but I'd have to pay for transportation to and from the airport and to the cruise port. So I think the prices will end up being about the same.

Thanks for the help

We're coming in the day before. I'm looking at the Marriott at the convention center and the Holiday Inn on the Bay. I can get a great deal at the Marriot through friends and family that makes it cheaper than the HI, but I'd have to pay for transportation to and from the airport and to the cruise port. So I think the prices will end up being about the same.

Thanks for the help

Oh, but the Marriott would be so much more worth it. The HI on the Bay is a convenient location but as a hotel it's a bit of a pit. We've stayed in plenty of SD hotels over the years, the HI on the Bay has been our least favorite.

I looked up taxi fare, it's about $12 one way from the airport, they do have shuttle service for $8, probably per person. Return to the port would probably be less, since it would be 2 less miles to drive. Ask at the hotel desk if they have shuttle drop off to port. It's almost walking distance, we have walked from port to Seaport Village, then to Marriott for cocktails, then back to our hotel close to the Gaslamp District.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a GREAT deal for the HAMPTON INN on the SW Air site............paid $87. Had two queen beds plus there was a hide-a-bed as well........used just one bed.:o

It's right across the street (I think north) from the HI and has free shuttle from the airport and to the pier. BUT, we just walked to the pier. It's across the street as well..........west.

They provided a free breakfast.............waffles and "everything" and we could see the ship from there.........so exciting to SEE it when you wake up. :)

The rooms are re-done............granite in the bathrooms and fantastic beds and it was IMMACULATE.;)

I got a GREAT deal for the HAMPTON INN on the SW Air site............paid $87. Had two queen beds plus there was a hide-a-bed as well........used just one bed.:o

It's right across the street (I think north) from the HI and has free shuttle from the airport and to the pier. BUT, we just walked to the pier. It's across the street as well..........west.

They provided a free breakfast.............waffles and "everything" and we could see the ship from there.........so exciting to SEE it when you wake up. :)

The rooms are re-done............granite in the bathrooms and fantastic beds and it was IMMACULATE.;)

The Hampton Inn is located right on some railroad tracks. How was the noise at night? We are seriously thinking of staying there but are concerned about the train noise.

Not too bad if you request a room on the WEST side of the hotel. It is the EAST side that is right next to the tracks. The city is also working currently with the railroads to decrease or eliminate the use of train horns in the downtown area.

Hi, Any more suggestions for a hotel near the cruiseport ?

My D.H. and I would like to spend a week, before our cruise, since we've never visited that city, ... being seniors, it would be nice to be close to transportation,and see some of the places that we have just read about,

Perhaps someone on the boards, who lives there, could advise us,thanks

cheers, from a couple of Canucks:)

Hi, Any more suggestions for a hotel near the cruiseport ?

My D.H. and I would like to spend a week, before our cruise, since we've never visited that city, ... being seniors, it would be nice to be close to transportation,and see some of the places that we have just read about,

Perhaps someone on the boards, who lives there, could advise us,thanks

cheers, from a couple of Canucks:)

Look for a hotel downtown. If you go to Expedia, put in downtown and you will see dozens of choices. Don't limit yourself to the cruiseport area, since a taxi ride there would not cost much at all. Public transportation is abundant from downtown and a lot to see on foot. Even taking a taxi say to the Zoo, would not cost a fortune, it's only a few miles from downtown. I'd not rent a car since parking is unbelievably expensive, instead if you need a car only rent one for the day.

We like to go to SD a couple times a year and will Priceline a room. We usually put in downtown and 4 star for about $75-85 per night and have stayed at Westgate Hotel a few times. We drive there and even though the hotel rate is affordable, hotel parking will be $20-28 per night, a few have free parking, not usually right downtown though.

Our least favorite hotel in the area to date has been the above mentioned Holiday Inn on the Bay. There are dozens of far nicer hotels less than a mile from port, don't limit yourself just because of that location.

Thank you HAPPY KS, we appreciate your response, and I'll certainly try priceline, although, I haven't ever tried those bidding web sites, but, it seems to be popular..... and thanks, for the tip re; car rentals , and looking for a hotel in other areas,

cheers

The Hampton Inn is located right on some railroad tracks. How was the noise at night? We are seriously thinking of staying there but are concerned about the train noise.

As they told me at ALL of the hotels in that location.............."you get water on one side, you always have railroads on the other"

Request a west side room.

They even had a white noise machine next to the bed...........they acknowledge there is train noise.

I'd stay there again anytime; it was such a short walk to the ship with our rolling luggage.............and having breakfast provided was a plus for us.

Archived