~Oasis Review - July 31 to August 6 Sailing~

Windy56

Introduction

My husband and I just returned, this week, from the Eastern itinerary onboard the Oasis of the Seas - July 31 to August 6. This was my 9th cruise and my husband's 4th and we both agree that it has been our favourite. For the last several years I have been on the receiving end, most of the time, in terms of information and advice on these boards and so I feel I must give back each time I go on a cruise, in the form of a review.

I'll attempt to provide an overview of my experience on this magnificent vessel by covering various topics over the next several days. I will include notes about embarkation, the cabin, music venues and performers, the art collection, the shows, activities, pools, food and debarkation. After each section I'll include some personal tips/suggestions/pleas for my fellow cruisers/posters, as well as some suggestions for RCL, from this passenger's point of view. I must warn you that it will be very detailed. First, when I go on a cruise I crave reviews with loads of detail. Secondly, I want to be very specific about certain aspects of my cruise, such as performers and venues, to both inform future cruisers as well as to give these people credit, by name. I hope you enjoy it and find the information useful, at the same time.

Introduction

My husband and I just returned, this week, from the Eastern itinerary onboard the Oasis of the Seas - July 31 to August 6. This was my 9th cruise and my husband's 4th and we both agree that it has been our favourite. For the last several years I have been on the receiving end, most of the time, in terms of information and advice on these boards and so I feel I must give back each time I go on a cruise, in the form of a review.

I'll attempt to provide an overview of my experience on this magnificent vessel by covering various topics over the next several days. I will include notes about embarkation, the cabin, music venues and performers, the art collection, the shows, activities, pools, food and debarkation. After each section I'll include some personal tips/suggestions/pleas for my fellow cruisers/posters, as well as some suggestions for RCL, from this passenger's point of view. I must warn you that it will be very detailed. First, when I go on a cruise I crave reviews with loads of detail. Secondly, I want to be very specific about certain aspects of my cruise, such as performers and venues, to both inform future cruisers as well as to give these people credit, by name. I hope you enjoy it and find the information useful, at the same time.

So when can we expect the first installment?

Embarkation

I felt that I was being teleported, it was that fast. We completed our forms online and I am sure that helps. Our luggage was waiting for us on the carousel and we were only parked at the gate for about ten minutes. That's fast! We grabbed a cab and from the moment we entered the port terminal to the moment my husband was chowing down on a roast beef sandwich, less than fifteen minutes had passed. In total, less than an hour from plane to lunch onboard the ship. Guest Assembly Drill, aka Muster Drill, was the least painless procedure of its kind that I have ever experienced and for us it was held in Studio B, the venue for skating.

Note to RCL:

1) Great idea to remove the lifejackets from the cabin. So much smarter to show a film outlining the procedure for donning the jacket without the distraction of standing in the blazing sun, shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of other people, while staring down those passengers who feel the overwhelming urge to blow their whistles all at once, as some poor crew member tries to maintain some semblance of order. In the event of the ship going down, do I really want to run back to my cabin to find my lifejacket? I'd so rather trample over my fellow cruisers to get to my muster station, knowing that the lifejacket will be given to me as I board the lifeboat! Good change in procedures!

2) It was unclear to many passengers that crew members needed to know the number on each sea pass, in order to direct them to their correct muster station. That's why it was essential that every passenger, including children, had their individual sea pass with them for the drill. Children were given colour coded wrist bands at this drill. Perhaps a card indicating the actual location for the drill and placed on the passenger's bed in the cabin, would have facilitated a faster assembly.

Note to Fellow Cruisers:

1) Consider taking a cab from the airport to the port. It's so much faster than waiting for other passengers to arrive and fill up a bus, which will be your fate if you choose to use the transfer voucher system, included in so many bookings.

2) If you have a carry on, make it as light as possible. If you board early, you may have a bit of a wait to access your cabin and believe me you will want to start exploring this ship as soon as you board and doing it with a light weight bag over your shoulder is a whole lot easier than dragging luggage behind you.

3) Muster Drill is at 4:15. Make every attempt to assemble at your station as early as possible. Everyone is anxious to start the fun portion of their vacation and having to wait for passengers who don't see the point in this exercise is not the fun portion of the vacation. Also, be polite in maintaining a respectful silence while the safety procedures are explained by the captain. While some might find it irrelevant or silly, others around them might want to know. I'm funny that way. If someone on a public address system is asking me for my attention and explaining procedures which may save my life or the lives of others, I listen.

To Be Continued...Cabin, Music Venues and Entertainers and Much, Much More...

Cabin

We were in Cabin 11214. I was really pleased with the layout. Our bed was alongside the balcony and we did not find it cramped, at all.

Nice sized balcony with high round table to accommodate room service breakfast in the morning. No lounge chair but two very comfortable chairs and a clear railing for excellent views. The balcony door will not close entirely from the outside and the AC shuts off, as a result. I would suggest closing the heavy curtains to keep the room as cool as possible if someone doesn't remain in the cabin to close the door. Things will heat up very fast, if you don't.

A master switch controls all things electrical in the room and other switches allow you to control the lighting in the room from the bed, a very nice touch. We did not find the electrical outlets inconveniently placed, as has been reported by some on these boards. We also didn't feel the need for a power bar. Really pleasant ambient lighting options, including soft lights over the art work, as well.

Nice sized flat screen, which displays everything you need to access, including your account, how busy the venues and restaurants are on the ship, and a schedule of what is happening at any time on the ship. You can also access menus in the MDR which makes it convenient to book alternate restaurants for those nights when nothing appeals to you on the menu. For those passengers in inside cabins, a camera view of the bow of the ship indicates weather, as well.

Ample storage in the closets and thankfully they have done away with those puzzling hangers that must hook through a hole in order to prevent theft. They have these undersize hook hangers which would never fit standard rods in homes. Very clever. Also there are many hangers including clip hangers for pants and skirts. The self closing closets are really cool. Just give them a nudge forward and they glide shut on their own. Nice deep shelves for shirts and shorts and drawers for smaller items.

Equally thoughtful is the removable shower head. Don't miss the fact that the shower head has a switch to adjust the water pressure, as well. The shower is really large with a water dappled curved door to maximize space and a bar for women to place their legs, for that all important shaving touch up session! All toiletries are provided so that you can save space for souvenirs in your luggage. A permanent dim light in the washroom ensures that I no longer need to do my drunken grope fest in the middle of the night, to find the washroom. It also very dimly illuminates the door, in case of emergency. Finally, generously proportioned terry robes are provided in the room and they are excellent for wrapping yourself in after a shower.

I loved the bed. I swear it's the roomiest bed I have ever enjoyed on a cruise. The two singles placed side by side made for a king-size and the curved shape at the end was great for moving around the room with ease. Super comfortable mattress. I have had to ask for an egg crate in the past but not on this cruise. Firm support and wonderfully soft pillow top. Really cozy duvet with a sheet under it in case you find it too warm. Excellent selection of pillows and really good quality linens. I loved that bed and had a very hard time leaving it in the morning. We have a sleep number bed at home and I find myself yearning for my cruise bed. I'm fickle that way.

Note to RCL:

1) My only complaint about your incredible ship is the bizarre lack of soundproofing in the cabins. What happened? Every time the bathroom door in the cabin next to us closed, we could hear it. During previous cruises on RCL, once the door in my cabin closed, I could hear virtually no sound from the outer hallway or adjacent cabins. Not so on the Oasis. Conversations in the hall and doors slamming shut were heard all day and into the night. How could you build such a feat of modern engineering and not take into account, the need for passengers to have a quiet space? I realize that the doors have to be self-closing but are there not materials available to cushion the impact of the door slamming? Do building materials not exist which could be used in the walls to prevent sound travelling between the cabins and halls? I don't know if the noise problem can be corrected on the Oasis but I do hope it can be prevented on the Allure.

Note to Fellow Cruisers:

1) Please refrain from yelling instructions down the hall to your children, husband and/or wife regarding where you will meet them for lunch. It's so much easier and so much more considerate to gather them as a clan and make those plans in the cabin or all together in the hall using a quiet voice. There now. I feel so much better pointing out this obvious thing.

2) Now that we know the door slams shut and it will probably slam shut until its poor little hinges give up the ghost, it might be a good idea to grab the handle when the door closes in the bathroom and the door to the hall, as well. It's a little thing but it will make for good cabin neighbour relations.

3) You might want to caution your children against running up and down the halls at night or any time of the day, for so many reasons, one of which is the disturbance it causes. Just a thought. Sheesh. My parents would never have had to tell us that.

More to come...my husband is whining for his dinner...for the record, I draw the line at towel animals... ;):p

Excellent review...looking forward to your upcoming posts. Thank you :).

Oh, you are so welcome. I have always enjoyed reading reviews on the boards. We were on the Pride out of Baltimore last summer. Did you enjoy it? We really enjoyed the food in the MDR.

We were on the Pride last Aug. too, very end of Aug. It was ok, definitely not the same as Royal.

I agree. Entertainment was lacking and the ship was...ummm...how do I put this...tacky? Service was good, though.

Musicians and Venues

I can't say enough positive things about the music onboard the Oasis. During a time when live musicians are being replaced with synthesized music, it is both refreshing and encouraging to witness the priority that RCL gives to its musical entertainment. Kudos to you! The high calibre of performers, as well as the huge variety of acts were amazing to me. I know for some people music, like art, provides a background and contributes to the general ambiance of the evening. For me, it's different. It is the experience. I don't want to carry on a conversation while someone is singing or playing because I don't want to miss anything. The collection of venues and the group of musicians and singers onboard the Oasis, for our cruise, really made the cruise and for that reason I want to refer to them, by name.

(If music isn't your thing, you might want to skip this section and go and paint a mural. If painting isn't your thing, you might want to ...well you get my drift.)

A huge thank you to Justin Smith, the musical director onboard the Oasis for his role in assembling such a cast of talented singers and musicians and for creating a program throughout the week which appealed to every imaginable taste. What a task! To the guys in the orchestra - your passion for music is contagious and your enthusiasm for pleasing your audience is a delight to behold. We listened to the pianist, the bass player, the trombone player and the drummer one night in the Viking Lounge. They billed themselves as The Oasis Trio, (hmmm), and it was a blast. A thank you goes out to them for introducing us to some pieces we had never heard before and performing a foxtrot for the two of us to stumble our way through! You guys were great!

Smooth Sailing Trio was another fun group. Great renditions of Nat King Cole, Sinatra, Louis Armstrong and a few Elvis tunes for good measure. Every time a woman would arrive the lead singer would call out, "Hey beautiful lady...I've been waiting for you all of my life!" Invariably she would stay and he would use the same line on the next woman who would arrive. You can find them in the Viking Lounge, as well. This bar is beautiful and if you want a comfortable, quiet place to read and view the ocean in the afternoon, I'd recommend the corner lounges. Great place for a little snooze in the sunlight or shade - you choose. Great views of sailaways, too. The pina coladas aren't too shabby, either.

For dancing, I'd recommend the Bamba Band in Boleros, where the bartenders are friendly and the music is way fast. Sit back and watch the Latinos show you how to salsa, after 11:00. Great male vocalist and nice dance floor. Center Piece in Dazzles is a great band, too. They play all sorts of pop music from the 50's to right now. Very talented female vocalist and if you like to jitterbug, don't miss their 50's/60's night. Dazzles is a two level lounge and it has a breathtaking view from a floor to ceiling window. it's a gorgeously appointed room that gets busy as the evening goes on.

The Calypso Band was so much fun on the pool deck. It's been a while since I heard a live steel drum on a ship and watching these guys singing "Big Ship" was great. If you have kids, catch their steel drum demonstration during the music themed afternoon on the Boardwalk. The guys from the orchestra do some fantastic marching pieces with the little kids accompanied by the female leads from Hairspray dressed up as wacky waitresses, along with another girl on stilts. Great fun. Last, but not least of the bands is the Katie Lolozzetta Quartet found nightly in Jazz on 4. This room is a red/black concoction of shadows and musical seduction and the quartet is just too good. Katie is only too happy to take requests and their interpretation of "Fly Me to the Moon" was perfect. Very smooth, polished performers.

If you like single performers, don't miss Pedro Espidido, playing classical guitar one evening in Central Park or Classical Wave a duo consisting of piano and violin. Heavenly stuff. It's a great way to slow things down and take in the sultry summer air in the park. Jimmy Blakemore is a talented performer who appears nightly in the Globe and Atlas pub. He is a very laid back singer whose repertoire is vast and who sings every song with a kind of joy you would only expect from a first performance of the piece. He seems grateful that such music exists for him to play and I found his manner charming. He can sing and play anything. Love his Beatles. Be warned, though. You will want to jump up and dance and you might have to hop off your high stool and clear a space for yourself. Ed Manego, the piano bar player, is located in the Schooner Bar and the night we were there he had honed in on a fellow Aussie and agreed to sing a song about how Australia will always be his home. It was quite beautiful. Sorry, I can't remember the title of the song. I'm a Canuck and I was ready to kiss a kangaroo by the time it was over. Schooners is one of my favourite spaces, in terms of lounges. It overlooks the Rising Tide Bar and the art work is really cool. Check out the two framed etching/engravings of lighthouses around the world and catch a whiff of the wood burning smoke. It's there and it's deliberate to add to the feel of the place. Stay for a while and you might catch a set by Richard Jasper, the resident bagpiper, currently delighting the people onboard the ship.Apparently there have been three pipers since the inauguration. He plays the full pipes every port day, while on deck, to call the passengers on board. Me, I just yell. "Hey, we're leaving without you!" Works every time but not as artistic. He also plays in the pub and modifies the instrument for a lower volume so that it doesn't interfere with the other bars on the same level. If you like Celtic music, you'll love this guy, complete in his kilt and some very neat looking shoes. Unfortunately we missed his scheduled informal lecture where he was supposed to explain how the pipes work. He is a very pleasant person and quite approachable for a photo op!

Note to RCL:

1) Passengers can use the cabin screens to access the venues to determine the performers each day but it would have been more useful to provide the information under the performer heading instead of venue heading, for the entire cruise. That way we could have scheduled our time better to ensure that we saw as many performers as possible.

2) I can't help but think that the names of the members of the orchestra and the various bands should be published either online on the RCL site or on some ship publication. They deserve the recognition and publicity and as it stands, they don't get it. Each time I stopped to tell a performer how much I enjoyed his or her performance on the particular instrument the person seemed so surprised and appreciative. I know the contracts change but if it was done online, it could be updated, as everything else is on the official site. I would have loved to look them up on the internet when I got home but I couldn't.

3) Thank you for offering the best musical buffet I have ever had the pleasure to indulge in while at sea. Please, when it comes time to cut corners, leave your music budget alone! Never, ever resort to that horrible synthesized sound that so many other cruise lines are using in place of professional musicians and singers.

Note to Fellow Cruisers:

1) Music is for everyone to enjoy. However, please consider the problems caused when you encourage and allow your children to take over a dance floor. I know some posters think that a dance floor, in the evening, is no place for children. I disagree. Children should have a place on the dance floor but that place should have boundaries. It should be "a place" not "the place". Parents, please accompany your children and shepherd them away from the adults who run the risk of tripping over them as they crawl about and play around unattended. Some parents think that if the dance floor is empty, it is fine for their kids to fool around on it but what these parents don't understand is that older adults arrive in the meantime and might like to dance but do not because it is so difficult to manoeuvre around flailing kids. To me it's just a matter of common sense and consideration of the adults who want to use the space for which it was intended.

To be continued...yeah...still...

Thanks for the report Windy56.

Ed Manego, the piano bar player, is located in the Schooner Bar and the night we were there he had honed in on a fellow Aussie and agreed to sing a song about how Australia will always be his home. It was quite beautiful. Sorry, I can't remember the title of the song.
The song is "I Still Call Australia Home", written and originally performed by the late Peter Allen. We are an aussie family booked to do a B2B on the Oasis in January. Can't wait. We cruised on Freedom of the Seas last October and loved it. The Oasis cruises will be the Christmas present for our kids (15 and 12), so we can't tell them about it. They know we are doing "a" cruise, but they think we are going back on FOS again. Numerous times they have asked why we can't go on Oasis and we have just told them that it is too expensive. They will love the surprise on Christmas day and I'm sure they will love the cruises in January. I know my wife and I will.

Looking forward to more of your report.

Oh, you are so welcome. I have always enjoyed reading reviews on the boards. We were on the Pride out of Baltimore last summer. Did you enjoy it? We really enjoyed the food in the MDR.

Yes we really did enjoy our cruise on the Pride. We also liked the food in the MDR as well as the service. The magician was quite entertaining, he visited our table each evening. It was so convenient for us to drive 3 hours and park our car right there. The whole experience was good. I would do it again.

Archived