Nafplion and NCL Gem excursions

Chloe's mom

We are on the Gem in October, and at Nafplion from 7am to 1pm. We are history buffs. Because of the short time there, and having to tender, we thought a ship's excursion would be best. Anyone have any experience/suggestions with the offered excursions? 1) Mycenae and Palamidi Fortress; 2) Corinth & ride on Corinth Canal; 3) Mycenae and Epidaurus. Appreciate any help, I've done searches on these boards, but many of the posters had a longer time in port.

Mycenae is a historical site of great importance. Epidauros, while not so important historically, is an excellently preserved site and the theater is especially beautiful. Those were our choices.

Especially with a short port time, taking a private tour makes a great deal of sense. We loved our tour with Nick of GreekTaxi. He will maximize your use of time.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We are on the Gem in October' date=' and at Nafplion from 7am to 1pm. We are history buffs. Because of the short time there, and having to tender, we thought a ship's excursion would be best. Anyone have any experience/suggestions with the offered excursions? 1) Mycenae and Palamidi Fortress; 2) Corinth & ride on Corinth Canal; 3) Mycenae and Epidaurus. Appreciate any help, I've done searches on these boards, but many of the posters had a longer time in port.[/quote']

Did ship excursion on Navigator of the Seas Corinth Canal and Ancient Corinth. Really enjoyed it more so the canal than ancient corinth. So if you are into history probably give this one a miss.

Thanks for your responses. Merced Mike, I would normally do a DIY tour, but I'm afraid with the short port time and the tendering that if we don't do a ship's excursion we will be delayed in getting off the ship, and that I will be worrying through the entire tour about getting back to the ship in time. So it looks like I will take the Mycenae/Epidaurus excursion. Again, thanks to all of you for your help.

I am also a history buff and I concur completely -- Mycenae and Epidavros (or Epidaurus).

Agree with Cynthia and the other posters that both Mycenae and Epidavros are super wonderful!!! Given your tight time schedule, I would agree that a ship tour might be your best bet to be able to make both places during that limited time period. Below are some visual samples for what is there to see and enjoy in both great historic places. Both are very unique and worth the effort to get there, see and experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

These Mycene ruins go back 2700 years from a spectacular empire:

MyceneRuins.jpg

Example of Mycene gold in the museum at this historic site:

MyceneGold.jpg

For a Mycene ruler, this was his burial place with its space for a carved triangle:

PelPenMyBurial.jpg

The “triangle” is the symbol for the Mycene empire. This carved stone is placed above where you enter its historic capital:

PelPenTriangleMy.jpg

Epidaurus has totally amazing acoustic properties at its location on the Peloponnesian Peninsula:

Gr.jpg

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the Gem in October' date=' and at Nafplion from 7am to 1pm. We are history buffs. Because of the short time there, and having to tender, we thought a ship's excursion would be best. Anyone have any experience/suggestions with the offered excursions? 1) Mycenae and Palamidi Fortress; 2) Corinth & ride on Corinth Canal; 3) Mycenae and Epidaurus. Appreciate any help, I've done searches on these boards, but many of the posters had a longer time in port.[/quote']

We just returned from the "Gem" last week...we had pre-booked a guide and by doing so were able to combine Mycenae, Epidaurus and Palamidi Fortress into one tour...plus plenty of time remaining to shop in town as well. Our contact was Jane at greecetaxi@greecetaxi.gr My only complant, well maybe one of a few were.. 01. When you arrive off the boat our taxi was hard to find...they had arrainged to meet us at a coffee shop...but it was about a block from where we landed and no one we talked to at first seemed to know where it was. We did eventually find it however. If you use them, make certain that they meet you where the tender docks...with a large sign with your name on it. 02. Our driver only spoke minimal English...really couldn't give us alot of info. 03. He drove like a bat out of hell (that coming from a fast driver myself) this guy was so fast I had to ask him to slow down....and we had plenty of time...so no reason to be in such a rush. Other than that...by getting this tour set up we were able to get more bang for our buck..ahh euro.

Our 5 hour tour was 180 euro's for the 4 of us...did not include cost of sites.

I should add that we were in the first tender boat off the ship...plan ahead and get that tender pass early (they post the times that they give out the tender passes in your evening ship newspaper...to get on that first tender...I was in line 30-45 min early)...those that didn't, took up to 2 hours to get off the ship.

We have 8 hours in Naplion, and are trying decide on whether to do Mycenae and Epidaurus, or Mycenae and Palamidi Castle with HA Nieuw Amsterdam, or DIY and see if there are cars to rent at the port.

My questions for anyone who has been there done that:

1. Which sites are easiest on my 2 knee replacements

2. will there be cars to rent at the port or need we prebook and if so where

3. should we just stay and enjoy the town of Naplion. We are on a 24 day B2B, so seeing lots of historical ruins etc, so wondering if this is one that we will regret missing is we don't do it. We have only 3 sea days on this cruise, so very port intensive, and trying to figure out where we can get more rest and not miss a lot.

Thank you for any help, as can't find a lot on this port.

cheers

Jennifer

We have 8 hours in Naplion, and are trying decide on whether to do Mycenae and Epidaurus, or Mycenae and Palamidi Castle with HA Nieuw Amsterdam, or DIY and see if there are cars to rent at the port. My questions for anyone who has been there done that:

1. Which sites are easiest on my 2 knee replacements

2. will there be cars to rent at the port or need we prebook and if so where

3. should we just stay and enjoy the town of Naplion. We are on a 24 day B2B, so seeing lots of historical ruins etc, so wondering if this is one that we will regret missing is we don't do it. We have only 3 sea days on this cruise, so very port intensive, and trying to figure out where we can get more rest and not miss a lot. Thank you for any help, as can't find a lot on this port. cheers. Jennifer

Hi, Jennifer! There are "challenges" all over Europe given the uneven pavements, steps, hills, walking, etc. How limited are you with your two "bionic" knees? Just a little slower and more careful, but near normal . . . or . . . is it a more serious limitation?

YES, in a small town like Naplion, you would want to have an advance car reservation, if you are going to attempt this option. It is not a port like Mykonos that is used to and equipped for floods of tourists coming in each day.

Palamidi Castle is right there, overlooking Naplion. But, you've got to get up there. It is nice fortress, but I would not call it that special and unique. For Mycenae and Epidaurus, yes, I would consider more in the "very historic and great to see" category. As a town, Naplion is nice, but I would not consider it as a must-see or else. Personally, if you can work it out, I'd be more aggressive and try for Mycenae and Epidaurus if you like such historic places.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

Looking down upon Nafplion from the historic Palamidi military fortress that overlooks the town and its harbor. This fortress is on the crest of a 216-metre high hill. It was built by the Venetians during their second occupation of the area (1686-1715).:

Nap.jpg

In Nafplion, there is this view of the small fort out in the harbor and the main town:

NapIslandFort.jpg

Thanks Terry for the help, to answer your question re knees, is that I tire soon, as my knees don't have the bend in them to do stairs easily,only 95degrees instead of 130. So will have to go slowly on stairs and uneven stones etc.

I have arranged private car tours at the the real big ports such as Florence, Rome, Athens etc, but was going to see how DIY Greece was.

Do you have any names for car rentals in Naplion? I'm thinking a nice drive thru the countryside, and maybe Mycenae on our own, and just a relaxing day in town is probably good for here, as we will be on the second half of the 24 day cruise. Thinking I'll be needing more down time by then:rolleyes:

Again thanks for your help

cheers

Jennifer

Thanks Terry for the help, to answer your question re knees, is that I tire soon, as my knees don't have the bend in them to do stairs easily,only 95degrees instead of 130. So will have to go slowly on stairs and uneven stones etc. I have arranged private car tours at the the real big ports such as Florence, Rome, Athens etc, but was going to see how DIY Greece was. Do you have any names for car rentals in Naplion? I'm thinking a nice drive thru the countryside, and maybe Mycenae on our own, and just a relaxing day in town is probably good for here, as we will be on the second half of the 24 day cruise. Thinking I'll be needing more down time by then. Jennifer

THANKS, Jennifer, for the added background info! Doing a less aggressive Mycenae and around Naplion trip might be the best "fit" for your needs and situation. On rentals in that town, I would do a Google search for "rental cars nafplion greece". It will show the various companies and options there. Book a car now and then check back as you get closer to see if you can find a better deal. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks Terry for the help, to answer your question re knees, is that I tire soon, as my knees don't have the bend in them to do stairs easily,only 95degrees instead of 130. So will have to go slowly on stairs and uneven stones etc.

I have arranged private car tours at the the real big ports such as Florence, Rome, Athens etc, but was going to see how DIY Greece was.

Do you have any names for car rentals in Naplion? I'm thinking a nice drive thru the countryside, and maybe Mycenae on our own, and just a relaxing day in town is probably good for here, as we will be on the second half of the 24 day cruise. Thinking I'll be needing more down time by then:rolleyes:

Again thanks for your help

cheers

Jennifer

I have artificial knees, although I did get to 120 degrees flexion with therapy. I move slowly and do stairs poorly.

I do have to say that Nafplion is not a good port for us! Mycenae is a long climb uphill, although it is ramps and not steps. It is beautiful and stunning! The Treasury of Atreus is easily accessible and well worth a stop.

The sanctuary of Nemea is the most accessible of the sites in this area. We enjoyed it.

Epidaurus is a struggle! It is a long walk uphill, with several short flights of steps, to the theatre. From there, climbing up to the top to hear the marvelous acoustics was totally out of the question for me.

I suppose you could drive it on your own but why? Our marvelous guide Nick from greektravel got us to the sites, dropped us off right at the gate, and somehow maneuvered through the parking lot to meet us at the gate as we came out. He also found a terrific local deli for us to have goat cheese and olives for lunch!

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived