$25 Corkage Fee ???

DP

The Celebrity corkage policy merely refers to "bottles" with no mention of size, shape, or composition. I would think that the purpose of the corkage fee is to encourage purchases on board, which suggests that they'd charge the same fee for a box as for a bottle.

Another boxed wine question. Regarding X's policy of allowing 2 bottles of wine allowed at embarkation, would 2 boxes of wines be considered as 2 "bottles"? Also are boxed wines able to be detected by their scanners?

yes, as its metal lined

check before you buy it buy looking at the top where the handle is. The ones I buy are plastic but they do have some kind of silver closing over the spout. Maybe take that off too. I would take it out of the box and put it into ziploc bag, maybe double so no leaks. You can get 2 gal. size now.

"If you take a 3 L boxed wine to MDR will you be charged only $25? Also what about 1.5L bottle .. $25 for bottle? "

I would like to see the face of the waiter on this one. lol:)

*another poster said to open the bottle in your room and bring it to the dinning room open. It'll have is 'breathing time' by then! pour and drink:D

The sommelier will bring personal bottles of wine to the table to pour. I can't say I have ever seen a box being carted around the dining room.:o:eek:

I say, if you are bringing a box, drink it in your room or carry a glass to the deck to watch the sunset. Personally, we buy bottles/glasses thru X for dinner and at the lounges and drink our wine in the room.

I'm bringing a Cristal Rose' champagne with me. It cost over $600.00. If the corkage fee is $25.00, they're losing money, as 15% of $600.00 is $90.00....

I'll bet they never thought about that scenario....:eek:

To the contrary - I think one of the principal reasons they allow wine on and have a corkage fee is to allow people to bring on special bottles of wine to enjoy during their cruise. To me it makes a lot more sense to bring on a special bottle of wine to enjoy and pay the corkage fee than to bring on a big bottle of cheap wine to save a few dollars.

...*another poster said to open the bottle in your room and bring it to the dinning room open. It'll have is 'breathing time' by then! pour and drink:D

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. If you think that is to avoid the corkage fee then you are mistaken. The fee is a surcharge for bringing your wine into the dining room it has nothing to do with the actual opening of the bottle. In fact if you have a bottle of fine red wine that needs to breath a bit you can easily arrange to have it sent down early in the day and ask the sommelier to open it at the proper time before dinner, they will even decant if for you on request if that is appropriate for the wine. That is what the fee is for and if it is a nice wine that these actions are appropriate for then the sommelier will be very happy to do that for you - especially with a little advance notice as opposed to when they are trying to service all their tables in the first few minutes of the dining time.

Wait. I have seen this post before and thought it was a big joke of some kind. If you sail with Celebrity, can you bring alcohol on board when you embark?

I have cruised before and they confiscated your alcohol purchased at port.

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks

The term "corkage" goes back to the 1830's. "Corkage fee" is probably redundant, as "corkage" is a fee charged by a restaurant for bottles of wine or spirits not purchased on site. It could refer to any bottle not purchased on board, whether sealed by a cork or not (who knew there would be screw-top wines?)

Wait. I have seen this post before and thought it was a big joke of some kind. If you sail with Celebrity, can you bring alcohol on board when you embark?

I have cruised before and they confiscated your alcohol purchased at port.

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks

You are officially allowed to bring on 2 bottles of wine per stateroom, when you first board the ship, but not any liquor or beer. If you consume this wine in the ship's dining room or in a lounge or bar on the ship there is a $25 per bottle fee, commonly called a corkage fee. There is no such fee if you consume the wine in your stateroom and your cabin attendant will bring you glasses and a corkscrew on request and will even ice down a bottle of white or sparking wine for you.

Getting back to the initial post - the Celebrity policy specifically mentions bottles. There have been differing reports on these boards from people bringing on boxes of wine and/or large bottles. Most report no issue but some have reported they were confiscated if the total was more then the equivalent of 2 standard size (750ml) bottles. I've read a couple of posts from people who have taken a magnum (double bottle) to the dining room and were charged a normal corkage fee but have not read any reports of people taking a bottle larger than that nor any boxes of wine to the dining room.

It's always been my impression that the policy of bringing wine to the dining room was to allow guests to bring on special bottles of wine and not as a cost saving measure for the guest. There are a number of inexpensive wines on the dining room menu in the mid $20 dollar range so the entire bottle is about the cost of the corkage fee for bringing your own bottle on board.

The term "corkage" goes back to the 1830's. "Corkage fee" is probably redundant, as "corkage" is a fee charged by a restaurant for bottles of wine or spirits not purchased on site. It could refer to any bottle not purchased on board, whether sealed by a cork or not (who knew there would be screw-top wines?)

If I bring a can of soda do I have to pay a pull tab fee:D

*another poster said to open the bottle in your room and bring it to the dinning room open. It'll have is 'breathing time' by then! pour and drink:D

Why bother??? Why not drink it on the way to the dining room? :) :)

Archived