Tips Post First Alaskan Cruise

Gomek11

Just got back from my first cruise to Alaska on the Celebrity Infinity. It was probably the greatest vacation I've ever had and only whetted my appetite for more Alaska. I thought a couple of tips might be helpful.

1. If your cruise goes to Tracy Arm Fjord, get up at 6 am and make sure you don't miss a second, and make sure your kids get up. It's the most amazing thing you'll ever see in your life. It is about 20 degrees colder in the fjord than the rest of your trip. I was fine wearing a longsleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt and a fleece pullover, but my daughters needed jackets. The temp was about 40 something and slightly windy.

2. Whale watching tours in Juneau are worth it. I booked with Hi Time Charters because I wanted to be on a smaller boat. Toni (a female) captain is great, and her prices are reasonable. Her number is 907-723-2420. You'll need to catch a cab from Juneau to Auke Bay, but that's not a problem. Cost for us was $30 for a family of four each way. The price for the tour was $500 for a family of four, and we had the whole boat to ourselves. There are a lot of recommendations for others, but her boat goes to the same places as Harv and Marv's, Orca, etc. and you get the whole boat to yourself. She just doesn't do all the marketing.

3. Seeing the salmon go upstream in Ketchikan was unbelievable. Walk up the path right beside the creek, and take it in. Amazing.

4. Take the Snow Pass Summit train in Skagway. Frommer's says don't go if it's overcast, and I almost made a huge mistake listening to this bad advice. it's overcast most of the time in Skagway. As long as the fog is not hugging the ground, the views should be fine. Most of the views are below the cloud line. This trip is definitely worth the cost. Don't miss it.

5. Seattle - if you're traveling out of here, have lunch in the Space Needle. It's more cost effective than buying a ticket just to go to the observation deck, and the food is pretty good. Plus, i think really enjoyed seeing where everyone was in the daytime.

I am really jealous of anyone reading this, as I would love to be back in Alaska right now. I've been home less than 24 hours and i'm already thinking about when I can go back.

Also, if you're looking for a good watering hole in Juneau, I would highly recommend Flight Deck. Great choice of local beers, covered bar with open view of float planes taking off. It's right beside Hangar's right on the water. Very nice experience.

Thanks for the info:) We're sailing out of Seattle September 3rd & will be in taking a whale watching tour with H&M on the 5th & Tracy Arm on the 7th:D

I was figuring about low to mid 40's in the Tracy Arm typical Minnesota fall weather- we will be right at home;)

Did you see any whales or other wildlife in the Tracy Arm? If so what? Thanks again:)

Thanks for the info:)

Did you see any whales or other wildlife in the Tracy Arm? If so what? Thanks again:)

You don't see whales in Tracy Arm. And, if on a cruiseship, wildlife will require binoculars, and the suggestion of keep scanning the shorelines. IF you get close to the Sawyer Glaciers, harbor seals haul out on ice. IF humpbacks are your priority, then you need to be stay out the entire time sailing between there and Juneau. Forward viewing, with a good pair of wide angle binoculars. IF you are in Juneau first- then I am always out, about 1/2 hour prior to the posted dawn time.

Thanks for your tips.

Did Infinity have the helipad open during the Tracy arm sail in?

We were on the Infinity also - fantastic cruise! Yes, the helipad was open. Incredible view from there.

We stayed one night pre-cruise in Seattle and wish we had stayed one night post cruise also. Great city, friendly, walkable and lots to do.

Archived