No more Cherbourg on TA's?

Francophile

I was surprised to see that QM2 is not scheduled to travel to Cherbourg at all in 2011. Why is Cunard ceasing to travel to France from the US? Some of us would gladly use QM2 for our travels to France.

The QM2 does have a roundtrip crossing from New York to Cherbourg on her 2011 schedule in October. It's disguised on the Cunard Voyage Planner as three separate voyages:

7 day Eastbound Transatlantic, New York-Southampton, Oct 7-14

2 day Taste of France, Roundtrip Southampton-Cherbourg, Oct 14-16

7 day Westbound Transatlantic, Southampton-New York, Oct 16-23

However, I don't know if Cunard will be offering this for sale as two separate crossings between New York and Cherbourg as they are this year.

I was surprised to see that QM2 is not scheduled to travel to Cherbourg at all in 2011. Why is Cunard ceasing to travel to France from the US? Some of us would gladly use QM2 for our travels to France.

If they don't do it as a one way to Cherbourg, why not just take any TA to Southampton and connect to Eurostar. Worked great for me.

@rafinmd, How did it work for you? I just like the idea of getting on in NY and getting off in FR.

What I did was really a bit more complicated than I indicated but it worked very well. I actually took the train on to Istanbul, and had a land tour with a fixed date so I took the one crossing that fit the tour schedule.

On my trip, and I think generally, Cunard runs a coach transfer to St. Pancras station with a cost of about $50. My train was at 3:30PM arriving Paris (Gare du Nord) at 7, arranged to connect with my onward train. There is a daily train to Paris about 2 arriving Paris about 5:30 (The train loses an hour in the time change).

I'm not aware of a Cunard transfer from St. Pancras to the ship, but it should not be difficult to work out. There are several morning trains back from Paris which get to London before noon.

This is not as convenient as getting off in Cherbourg (at least depending on where you want to go in France) but it is available with every crossing.

In any case, I would talk to a TA or direct to Cunard about booking any Cherbourg stops which do not show up as part of a TA, they are quite poor about listing all their options on the web site.

More information about Eurostar is available at http://www.seat61.com.

Roy

... In any case, I would talk to a TA or direct to Cunard about booking any Cherbourg stops which do not show up as part of a TA, they are quite poor about listing all their options on the web site. ...

Yes, exactly. For example, the voyage from Cherbourg to New York in December, 2011 which transatlantic fan mentioned earlier shows up this way on the Cunard Voyage Planner:

2 day Taste of France, Roundtrip Southampton-Cherbourg, Dec 10-12

7 day Westbound Transatlantic, Southampton-New York, Dec 12-19

No indication if you can actually board in Cherbourg for an 8 day crossing from Cherbourg to New York. If you talk to a TA or Cunard I suspect you will find the option exists to embark in Cherbourg for this December voyage or embark/disembark in Cherbourg for the October voyages.

I am booked for the October 7 - 14, 2011, eastbound crossing to Southampton. Then I continue on board for the roundtrip voyage to Cherbourg October 14-16, and return to New York City westbound from October 16 - 23.

The US Cunard Voyages 2011-2012 brochure does not show the Cherbourg destination as it does in the UK brochure. My AAA travel agent handled it for me, and the Cunard representative booked it as three separate voyages with no problems.

The good old days before Cunard came into the Carnival Corporation, there would be discounts, half price, and sometimes a free voyage for one partner when doing a back to back crossing.

So, if anyone is interested in this above mentioned sixteen day crossing, give your travel agent or Cunard a call.

Terrence

Archived