southern cruise vs. western all inclusive

cruizinmama

Just wondering what people think of all inclusive vacations vs. cruises. Has anyone done an all inclusive? Which do you prefer,cruise or all inclusive? Is one really more relaxing then the other. I'm finding that it looks like on a cruise you have more to do if you want to. Drinks would be included with the all inclusive,but I don't think its that much for drinks especially if you can get liquor on the ship;). We have been on cruises before and LOVE them but have never done an all inclusive. I'm just not sold yet on an all inclusive. We would be going with other couple's and I would think on a cruise there would be so much more things to pick from to please everyone.

Thanks

Based on the two Caribbean locations you provided, the Southern Caribbean is far more interesting and beautiful (IMHO) than the Western Caribbean.

Personally, I prefer cruising, even though it is less all-inclusive. For me, the excitement of getting to visit multiple locations coupled with the benefit of being with the same group of people for the entire week make it a more attractive choice. While you can make friends with other guests at the AI, everyone there is on a different schedule. People will come and go during your stay. On a cruise, everyone you meet is there for the duration of your cruise. It's so conducive to meeting, mingling and making friends. I like the social aspect. I like the feeling of being part of a community for a week.

There are some islands in the southern Caribbean that I'd really like to go back and visit for an extended vacation. As of yet, I haven't been able to find a deal I can afford to the places I want to go. But someday...

I'm sure you'll have fun with either choice. Personally, I've yet to find a vacation option I prefer to cruising, and I've yet to find a Caribbean itinerary I prefer to the southern islands.

We have done both many times. I do not drink at all and my husband has one or 2 through the day. The food at most all inclusives becomes boring for us. We will probably not do another one. All inclusives are perfect for people who want to do nothing all day and night. Our last all inclusive cost us $1200 more than a cruise in a suite for the same number of days.

I've recently done 2 All Inclusive. One with my husband for our anniversary and the 2nd with my mom and friends. While he loved it, I was so so with it. Hubby is a big drinker so he didn't have to worry about spending to much money that way. I personally rather cruise due to 1 - food being way better 2- less walking getting from point a to point b 3- Easier to communicate with the staff. 4 - I like different ports and being able to see things. Mom is a cruiser also and agreed while it was nice to experience, she would stay a cruiser.

We do both all-inclusive cruising and all-inclusive resorts in Mexico. I agree with a previous poster that it is like comparing apples and oranges. All-inclusive resorts can be very relaxing. . . . lying by the pool. . . .taking long walks on the beach. We never get bored (but do not stay more than 4-5 nights).

All inclusive cruising (luxury cruising), for us, is the perfect way to go. It is not as expensive as it looks at first glance. When you look at the pricetag, remember that it includes airfare, tips, drinks -- both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, speciality restaurants and, in the case of Regent, most excursions. So, it is definitely possible to pay one price and never pay a penny more (or have to sign for anything). Luxury cruising is different than cruising on a mass market ship. . . . with the exception of summer and school breaks, it is mostly all adult, the ships are small with less entertainment and restaurants.

In terms of the Caribbean, unlike most people who love the very beautiful, very touristy Southern Caribbean, we prefer the Western Caribbean. We are more interested in learning about other people and cultures than seeing other tourists. Just a matter of different preferences.

We do both all-inclusive cruising and all-inclusive resorts in Mexico. I agree with a previous poster that it is like comparing apples and oranges. All-inclusive resorts can be very relaxing. . . . lying by the pool. . . .taking long walks on the beach. We never get bored (but do not stay more than 4-5 nights).

All inclusive cruising (luxury cruising), for us, is the perfect way to go. It is not as expensive as it looks at first glance. When you look at the pricetag, remember that it includes airfare, tips, drinks -- both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, speciality restaurants and, in the case of Regent, most excursions. So, it is definitely possible to pay one price and never pay a penny more (or have to sign for anything). Luxury cruising is different than cruising on a mass market ship. . . . with the exception of summer and school breaks, it is mostly all adult, the ships are small with less entertainment and restaurants.

In terms of the Caribbean, unlike most people who love the very beautiful, very touristy Southern Caribbean, we prefer the Western Caribbean. We are more interested in learning about other people and cultures than seeing other tourists. Just a matter of different preferences.

I'm so surprised to hear the southern Caribbean described as "touristy". That's how I tend to think of the Western Caribbean. While I would agree that St. Thomas is VERY touristy, I always take the ferry over to St. John, which is 75% protected park land and extremely beautiful and undeveloped. Another favorite island is Dominica, with is even LESS developed. Rain forests, incredible waterfalls, amazing views and black sand beaches. It's so unique. I prefer the less developed ports of call and that's why I prefer the southern itineraries. Sure, you'll hit places like St. Thomas and St. Maartin, but you'll also visit places like Dominica, St. Croix and St. Lucia. There's nothing like hiking in a rain forest, visiting a live volcano or picking up a handful of black sand from the beach.

We do a stay/ cruise in the Red Sea in winter, so OH can snorkel all day. To be honest, once it's dark, the hotel is boring....there'll be a little folk type show, but mainly people sit around drinking....the beach areas are quite dark and patrolled, and I find I'm back in the room, reading, around 10pm, and waiting for my cruise to start!!:rolleyes: It may be all-inclusive, but so's the cruise.

Jo.

This is something that DH and I have debated on as well.

We've never done an AI vacation, only cruises. After much research and talking with friends who've done both, we pretty much know that cruising is the better vacation for us. Our reasons:

-we are not beach people. Neither one of can swim so 1-2 days a week at a beach is more than enough. The AI's we've looked at seem to involve a lot of beach time, beach activities and watersports. We don't golf or play tennis either.

-I rarely drink and DH is casual drinker. Our bar bill for a 7 day cruise is less than $200, so alcohol costs are a non factor. Most people that I know who prefer AI's do consider alcohol being a factor.

-I like being able to see many different places on a cruise. Many of the islands that I visit on a cruise are places that I likely wouldn't be able to visit otherwise.

A cruise is as relaxing as you want it to be.

Thanks for the replies.

DH & I have pretty much ruled out the all inclusive just cause we LOVE cruising and LOVE the Southern/Eastern side. I have been pricing both and a cruise seems to even be cheaper then all inclusive. Unless it would be a huge savings to do the all inclusive we can't see going somewhere we really do not want to and not be able to see & do as much as we would on a cruise for about the same price and maybe even cheaper :).

Thanks for the replies.

DH & I have pretty much ruled out the all inclusive just cause we LOVE cruising and LOVE the Southern/Eastern side. I have been pricing both and a cruise seems to even be cheaper then all inclusive. Unless it would be a huge savings to do the all inclusive we can't see going somewhere we really do not want to and not be able to see & do as much as we would on a cruise for about the same price and maybe even cheaper :).

Good decision. I really think in the end a cruise provides the best value.

Good luck in picking your cruise.

Keith

Archived