Southwest's Early Bird Check-In

Clipper123

You just pay for it for the entire flight regardless of whehter there is a change of planes.

So if you have a one way flight just one payment is necessary. If it is a R/T flight and ou want it on both the outbound and the return flight then you pay $10.00 for the outbound and $10.00 for the return per passenger.

Keith

If your flight contains a connection with a change of planes, do you have to pay for the early bird check-in for each leg of the flight?

No, you do not. In addition, if you change your reservations (No charge on SWA !), you don't lose the status, subject to very few exceptions listed on the SWA website.

I just checked the schedule for the flight I am considering. There is a change of planes in Nashville with only 25 minutes between landing and takeoff. Does Southwest usually board 30 minutes in advance like most other airlines? If so, where would that leave us in terms of boarding with Early Bird? I'm thinking that if our flight from Detroit is even a few minutes late, we'd be the last to board the second flight. Has anyone had close connections like this and what was the boarding procedure?

I just checked the schedule for the flight I am considering. There is a change of planes in Nashville with only 25 minutes between landing and takeoff. Does Southwest usually board 30 minutes in advance like most other airlines? If so, where would that leave us in terms of boarding with Early Bird? I'm thinking that if our flight from Detroit is even a few minutes late, we'd be the last to board the second flight. Has anyone had close connections like this and what was the boarding procedure?

Southwest does not normally board 30 minutes in advance. If you arrrive before the boarding begins you will be able to get in the early bird line. If you arrive much later you would miss that opportunity.

If you would prefer to know that you will board early on both flights see if there are other flights for you to select instead.

Keith

Also consider that when you change planes, there may be others who were on that equipment (direct flight) and pick better seats before any boarding starts.

Yes, I was wondering about that. That is the only flight that day that will work for us and with kids we want to be at least able to sit two and two - (not young enough to qualify for early boarding but still too young in my opinion to sit by themselves)! So we'll have to use a different airline. Delta's prices are actually cheaper than Southwest for some of the flights the days we need, but not for the time slot we need - I'll have to keep watching and hope they come down some.

I wish that NO ONE would buy early bird check in. Southwest works so well with checking in 24 hours in advance. Why would you pay to get into a line? If they can get the $10 bucks, I guess they'll keep charging it.

I wish that NO ONE would buy early bird check in. Southwest works so well with checking in 24 hours in advance. Why would you pay to get into a line? If they can get the $10 bucks, I guess they'll keep charging it.

One of the reasons why one might do it is if they can't get internet access to check in ahead of time. For example, folks who are returning from a cruise (I realize they could get on a computer at sea but may prefer not to).

The good news is that since the change went into effect we have been on a couple of SW flights and the boarding process still went well and even though we didn't select the early bird check in we still got a good spot when checking in 24 hours in advance.

Keith

Because I have never flown an airline that I couldn't pick my seats ahead of time and have my family sit together. If Southwest was the only airline that fit with my schedule on a particular day to a particular place I would want to do whatever I could to ensure my family sits together. If I can do that by paying $10/person, I will not hesitate to pay it.

Because I have never flown an airline that I couldn't pick my seats ahead of time and have my family sit together. If Southwest was the only airline that fit with my schedule on a particular day to a particular place I would want to do whatever I could to ensure my family sits together. If I can do that by paying $10/person, I will not hesitate to pay it.

You still would not get assigned seats, like you would on other airlines. It just means you board earlier and pick available seats. SWA uses 737 aircraft, which means the seat configurations are 3-aisle-3. SWA routinely allows disabled passengers or passengers with babies, carseats, strollers to board before anyone else.....with no extra fee. These passengers get more desireable seats. I've never paid this fee, but usually get a number in the A boarding group because I print off my boarding pass 24 hours in advance. This is hard to do after a cruise, though, so it might be worth it for you to pay the $10 pp fee. Bring your own snacks/sandwiches for the kids. No charge on SWA for 2 pieces of checked luggage per person. SWA is a VERY good airline, with a better-than-most on time and safety record.

As noted, even paying $10 pp does not ensure anything. Southwest's Web site says that. It merely increases your odds of boarding far enough towards the front of the line (you're still in the same boarding groups, A-D, as everyone else) to get a choice of seats, and means you don't have to pounce online 24 hours in advance in order to avoid getting stuck in one of the last groups to board, when you may have just individual middle seats to choose from. Site also says it increases your odds of access to an overhead bin (recognizing that people are bringing on too many bags for the bins and they aren't restricting this). We recently took two flights on Southwest, once without the early bird check-in, and once with. For the first flight we ended up with about numbers 55 and 56 (and I checked in right at 24 hrs. in advance), and for the second we were about 29 and 30. Both times we were able to sit together but this, of course, depends n the individual flights and the next flight could be different.

This early check-in is a source of revenue. All airlines are looking at new fees. Southwest is not immune. It does not currently charge for the first two checked bags (within size/weight limits, of course) or soft drinks.

In both cases we started boarding at least 20, if not 30, minutes in advance. Since no seats are guaranteed, you obviously wouldn't be in the first group, and get the resulting seats, if you arrive late. I imagine they would allow you to board pretty much as soon as you arrived and showed your boarding pass (i.e., that they'd do that no matter what group you're in if you arrive after that group has boarded). I'm surprised 25 minutes is a legal connection time. You'd have to get off your first flight (and these days, with lots of carry-on bags, this can take a while) and get to your next gate. If Southwest does allow this short connection time, they must think you can make it, and should get you on another flight should you miss the first one, but not sure what would happen to your early board boarding status in that situation: since the passes are numbered sequentially, how would they squeeze you in, except by refunding the $10 and putting you in the last group? I'd certainly try for a longer connection time.

I wish that no one (else) would by EBCI so my boarding number would be better. The $10 doesn't get you into a line, but gets you closer to the front of said line. The advantage here (as I expect you know) is a better seat (personal preference) and no carryon bag storage issues. We've done EBCI on every flight since last fall and it works for us. We prefer the exit row, but if we can't get it, we'll take aisle seats - just a little more breathing space. It's worth $10 to me to simply avoid the online check-in frenzy.

Yup, as long as folks (like myself) are willing to pay for the service, it will be offered. I took Aug 17th off from work to book our February flights to / from Las Vegas (as soon as schedule opened) and immediately purchased the EBCI. Oh, it would be so nice to get A16 & A17 again.

I wish that no one (else) would by EBCI so my boarding number would be better. The $10 doesn't get you into a line, but gets you closer to the front of said line. The advantage here (as I expect you know) is a better seat (personal preference) and no carryon bag storage issues. We've done EBCI on every flight since last fall and it works for us. We prefer the exit row, but if we can't get it, we'll take aisle seats - just a little more breathing space. It's worth $10 to me to simply avoid the online check-in frenzy.

Yup, as long as folks (like myself) are willing to pay for the service, it will be offered. I took Aug 17th off from work to book our February flights to / from Las Vegas (as soon as schedule opened) and immediately purchased the EBCI. Oh, it would be so nice to get A16 & A17 again.

You took a day off work to book a SWA flight? Wow! Did you take a Sick Day? Personal Leave? Were you paid for your time from work? Really....we want to know! If I would have used one of my two Personal Days per school year (27 years of teaching), I would have had to apply at least one week ahead of time to get paid approval. Unbelieveable post. Someone can take a day off from work to book a flight???? Who pays for that?

You took a day off work to book a SWA flight? Wow! Did you take a Sick Day? Personal Leave? Were you paid for your time from work? Really....we want to know! If I would have used one of my two Personal Days per school year (27 years of teaching), I would have had to apply at least one week ahead of time to get paid approval. Unbelieveable post. Someone can take a day off from work to book a flight???? Who pays for that?

I just had to chuckle at your reply and will explain. I "gave my shift away" or had a co-worker fill in for me. So it was unpaid, but I got an extra day at home. But I did so for good reason (I think). I have two rapid rewards awards tickets that I wanted to use to get to / from Las Vegas. With the advent of the *&^%$#@ Freedom Awards, the standard just don't go far and I wanted to travel particular days. So I needed to be home when the dates opened so I could get what I wanted (and I did).

As it turns out, I took a voluntary bump Sunday August 15th, stayed overnight in MHT courtesy of SWA (yes, WN) and flew home the next day. So I had to call into work for August 16th (BTW I did get paid for that one). But in doing so, I "earned" $444.70 in LUV Voucher funds.

So Tuesday morning I had four windows open, poised to check on rapid rewards flights each way as well as LUV voucher funds each way. I was at the computer when the dates opened and snagged what I wanted. Our outbound is no longer available (award tickets were gone that same afternoon).

Basically there is a method to my madness. Really. :)

I just had to chuckle at your reply and will explain. I "gave my shift away" or had a co-worker fill in for me. So it was unpaid, but I got an extra day at home. But I did so for good reason (I think). I have two rapid rewards awards tickets that I wanted to use to get to / from Las Vegas. With the advent of the *&^%$#@ Freedom Awards, the standard just don't go far and I wanted to travel particular days. So I needed to be home when the dates opened so I could get what I wanted (and I did).

As it turns out, I took a voluntary bump Sunday August 15th, stayed overnight in MHT courtesy of SWA (yes, WN) and flew home the next day. So I had to call into work for August 16th (BTW I did get paid for that one). But in doing so, I "earned" $444.70 in LUV Voucher funds.

So Tuesday morning I had four windows open, poised to check on rapid rewards flights each way as well as LUV voucher funds each way. I was at the computer when the dates opened and snagged what I wanted. Our outbound is no longer available (award tickets were gone that same afternoon).

Basically there is a method to my madness. Really. :)

Thanks for the explanation! (I was really wondering....!). Appreciate your reply! As a teacher, we couldn't "change shifts" or anything like that. I'm retired now, though, and must say that SWA has been very good to me in terms of reimbursements and LUV vouchers. Have gotten at least two "free" r/t flights in the last two years from those vouchers! Glad you were able to snag a great deal!!

• 5 months later...
SWA routinely allows disabled passengers or passengers with babies, carseats, strollers to board before anyone else.....with no extra fee. These passengers get more desireable seats.

Pre-Boarders are anyone who can answer yes to one of these two questions: Do you need additional time to board, Do you need a specific seat? They will not ask "why" if you answer yes. Pre-Boarders (and any companion who's with them during pre-boarding) are prohibited from sitting in the Emergency Exti Rows.

Families with children 4 and younger no longer pre-board. They board with the A's if they have an A boarding pass, or if they have a B or C they board after the A's are finished and before the B's start.

If you have a B - middle to high #, you should still find seats together in the back. Not all flights have through passengers and when they do, most of them move up to the front on the stop. Still leaving many seats together in the back.

About the only ones who don't get a seat together are the C's.

This has been a very helpful thread. Yesterday I booked our flight to San Francisco for a June cruise because there was suddenly a good "wanna get away" price. We fly through Kansas City Airport with a very short connection time. Is it a user friendly airport? There are several flights after ours. I did pay for the early checkin which I probably should not have done. We don't have to sit together, but we do like aisle seats. We haven't flown Southwest in a number of years and I wasn't sure what to do. Julia

Archived