New York Harbor Sail-Away Sights?

OldCodger73

mamaofami,

You are right. The spot is so empty. So sad.

I was born and raised in NYC. I left there when I was 45 yrs old. I watched the toweres being built as I crossed the harbor each day on the Staten Island ferry. I just find it so hard to look at the sky line now when I go back home to the Big Apple.

Maria

When is the best time for viewing, photographing the Statue of Liberty. My thought/hunch is that it is well lighted and is a gooc shot most anytime, with the exception of around sunset when the sun is behind it. Is that correct?

Roy

If you go back to pg 1 you will see my shot of the Statue upon arrival in NY Harbor, that was taken at 6am handheld with a 200mm stabilized lens. I think unless you have an SLR you will not be able to get that shot (I don't think a point and shoot will work). As for sailaway, the Statue was harshly back lit and the best time to shoot was well after passing it with a long lens.

mamaofami,

You are right. The spot is so empty. So sad.

I was born and raised in NYC. I left there when I was 45 yrs old. I watched the toweres being built as I crossed the harbor each day on the Staten Island ferry. I just find it so hard to look at the sky line now when I go back home to the Big Apple.

Maria

I am also a born and bred New Yorker, and it is always sad to see or pass the spot where those buildings stood. Such a tragic day for us in New York and the country.

The last time we sailed past the Statue of Liberty, I started singing God Bless America (we were on the balcony) and my sister's family joined in. When we finished we heard a voice on the next balcony say "You are now on my video."

mamaofami,

The frist time I went back (7 months after) to NYC after 9/11, I took Amtrak to Penn station. I came out of Penn Station, and there was a fire truck there and some firemen also. I looked around and got choked up. One of the firemen came over to me and ask me what was wrong. I told him it was my first time back home since 9/11 all choked up. He put his arms around me in a hug and both of us let some tear flow. To this day I wonder who he was.

By the way I was born in Flatbush Brooklyn. (I never found out what the Flatbush was :)) Then moved to Staten Island.

Maria

The Crow's Nest is a good spot, especially if the weather isn't good. Like tonight as the Veendam is leaving and it's raining.

But, we went all the way forward on one of the lower decks. There was a door marked crew only but we opened it and there were lots of people out there. Sorry, don't recall if it was A deck or Main deck.

Archived