General Dislike for Children?

Johnsmomma

I agree with the majority of the posters here. Don't get freaked out by the negative attitude of a few people here on Cruise Critic. The onboard experience is quite different. We have cruised with our kids on Princess six times and on Celebrity twice. When we started, our girls were 4 and 8. Now they are 9 and 13. We have have enjoyed every one of our cruises and have booked cruises with the kids for 2011 on the Sapphire Princess and Celebrity Equinox.

You may run into an occasional grumpy person (elevators seem to bring out the worst in people) but on any ship with 2600+ passengers, you're bound to run into a few bad apples, whether it's grumpy adults or misbehaving kids. It's never been a big issue for us. We try to be considerate of others, and most everyone else does the same.

Johnsmomma, Celebrity is considered more an adult line, especially when school is in session. The one thing I would like to point out to you is, seeing your children aren't school age, and therefore you can cruise whenever, be aware that it also means that the kid's club will be very limited, if operating at all. I've been on many Celebrity cruises, all when school is in session, and you could count on one hand the number of kids on board, and on some cruises, the kids club did not operate at all. You need to be prepared for that. For example, on one X cruise, there were three kids total on board, and they did not have a program at all. On a couple of others, there were less than 10 kids, most being infants, so the program was very, very limited. So if you cruise when kids are in school, you run the risk of not having, or having a very limited, kids program.

One thing to realize, it's not the kids that are the problem, it's the behavior that's tolerated by the parents, and even by the cruise line, that's the problem. We were all kids, but I think we "oldsters" can admit that our parents were a lot more involved and a lot more strict than today's parents. Our parents weren't our friends, a thing that many of today's parents seem to want to be to their kids, instead of being just parents. So in that vein, you see a lot of behavior that parents seem to ignore. Another thing is, behavior that a parent might not "hear", such as a child screaming or whatever because they're used to that behavior, others hear all too well.

There have been many horror stories concerning kids on cruises, and the one common theme is parental non-involvement. I've been on cruises where kids put human feces in the pool and neither the parents nor the cruise line seemed to care one bit. I've been on cruises where the parents sat at a totally different table than the kids, and the kids would get into food fights every night, and the cruise line did nothing.

So you see, it's not really anti-child, but a concern by cruisers who've had cruises disturbed by kids who were out of control and parents who disown all parental responsibility.

Johnsmomma, Celebrity is considered more an adult line, especially when school is in session. The one thing I would like to point out to you is, seeing your children aren't school age, and therefore you can cruise whenever, be aware that it also means that the kid's club will be very limited, if operating at all. I've been on many Celebrity cruises, all when school is in session, and you could count on one hand the number of kids on board, and on some cruises, the kids club did not operate at all. You need to be prepared for that. For example, on one X cruise, there were three kids total on board, and they did not have a program at all. On a couple of others, there were less than 10 kids, most being infants, so the program was very, very limited. So if you cruise when kids are in school, you run the risk of not having, or having a very limited, kids program.

One thing to realize, it's not the kids that are the problem, it's the behavior that's tolerated by the parents, and even by the cruise line, that's the problem. We were all kids, but I think we "oldsters" can admit that our parents were a lot more involved and a lot more strict than today's parents. Our parents weren't our friends, a thing that many of today's parents seem to want to be to their kids, instead of being just parents. So in that vein, you see a lot of behavior that parents seem to ignore. Another thing is, behavior that a parent might not "hear", such as a child screaming or whatever because they're used to that behavior, others hear all too well.

There have been many horror stories concerning kids on cruises, and the one common theme is parental non-involvement. I've been on cruises where kids put human feces in the pool and neither the parents nor the cruise line seemed to care one bit. I've been on cruises where the parents sat at a totally different table than the kids, and the kids would get into food fights every night, and the cruise line did nothing.

So you see, it's not really anti-child, but a concern by cruisers who've had cruises disturbed by kids who were out of control and parents who disown all parental responsibility.

I just booked a cruise on Celebrity. I have seen postings similar to this (that they don't offer a kids program if there aren't many kids) and so I asked about that (we are traveling in late April, and I don't know if kids are out of school then or not - MINE are, but we have year round schools, so odd breaks). I was told they ALWAYS have the kids club running. So, I figure, worst case scenario, my 2 kids will be getting a lot of attention in the kids club!

I was on a Celebrity TA back in 2007. There were 2 kids on the whole ship. The kids clubs were not up and running. This cruise was our honeymoon and after those 2 kids, we were the youngest on the ship. But TA cruises tend to gear towards an older crowd. By older, I mean 50-70. I think it really depends on the time of year you are going and where you are going.

I was on a Celebrity TA back in 2007. There were 2 kids on the whole ship. The kids clubs were not up and running. This cruise was our honeymoon and after those 2 kids, we were the youngest on the ship. But TA cruises tend to gear towards an older crowd. By older, I mean 50-70. I think it really depends on the time of year you are going and where you are going.

Mmmmhh...that is interesting. Is it possible the people at Celebrity just told me what I wanted to hear so that I would book the cruise? :rolleyes:

I will double check with them. Hopefully our cruise will have more kids than a school-year TA though...

Mmmmhh...that is interesting. Is it possible the people at Celebrity just told me what I wanted to hear so that I would book the cruise? :rolleyes:

I will double check with them. Hopefully our cruise will have more kids than a school-year TA though...

I think if you are doing a Caribbean Cruise, you will have a lot more kids. And since you are traveling in April, I think it is a better time. Our honeymoon cruise was 12 nights at the end of September. All of the activities were geared towards an older crowd. I think it all depends on where and when you go. I think you should be fine!

GatorMom-

I have sailed on the following Celebrity Itineraries with the following dates (you will observe that 2 were during the school period):

The Med in May (May 10th ) , 12 day cruise , Barcelona to Venice....there were 13 kids on board. The Fun Factory (Kid´s Club) functioned absolutely normally , fully staffed. The only difference was that the kids would do activities together in general (my kids were 4 , 7 and 9 at the time). They made some wonderful friends , got lots of personal attention and really enjoyed the Fun Factory over all. In fact , my 7 yr old literally sobbed when we got in the van , leaving the ship , saying he was never going to see his friends again.

Baltic Cruise , 14 days , June 27th ...here we went during school vacation . However it was a 14 day cruise to Russia and Denmark ..There were over 100 kids on board. My daughter was thrilled because there were lots of young ladies here age (she had just turned 11).

Antactica /South America January 30th...14 days...again , not during school vacation. Due to terrible storms and 30 ft waves , we were at sea for 7 days straight , due to missed ports. Believe it or not , there were 60 some kids on board. The staff was AMAZING , considering they had no days off for 7 days...they really stepped up.

67v794.jpg

Here is my daughter (in the middle ) , dressing up with other kids on the SA cruise...they were recruited as pirates to help entertain the little ones.

I was very concerned when booking the SA/Antarctica cruise , thinking that my kids would be the only ones on the ship. I contacted Celebrity and they assured me that there would be a program no matter what.

Of course , while cruising , you must expect that your children be respectful (not just while cruising!). I always read my kids the "riot act" before boarding and people have been always very kind. I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise.

Kim

GatorMominNC -

Easter is April 24 next year. Many schools still work breaks around Easter, either the week before or the week after (before I get blasted for noting this, yes, I am aware that many schools do not, but there are still large districts spread throughout the US that do).

So if your cruise is the last week of April, you may have more than the average number of kids onboard because of spring break for schools which take break the week after Easter.

I have found out from my TA and friends that the best kept secret in the cruise industry is how good the Celebrity kid's program is:-)

Keep in mind and forgive some old, grummpy, folks/f**ts, who did not get the memo that crusing is no longer for the old and cold, newly wed and almost dead. They have done thier time with kids and now are looking to enjoy a life w/o having them around, especially on vacation. Given the option I would not cruise with very young children ( I didn't with my own) or old f**ts. We all have our preference but crusing is a vacation calling out to all generations. Majority of the people you will meet understand this, so don't worry. I had an incident where someone in a wheel chair almost ran into my butt but looked at me as if I had the problem for not having eyes in the back of my head. Other than run into you, some expect you to get off the elevator as if a wheel chair prohibits them from waiting and all disabilities are visible. Heaven forbids if your legs look fine but you suffer from arthritis.

Some forums are 'more' kid friendly than others. Some cruise lines cater to kids than others. With Celebrity you are going to find a hidden gem for your kids. Overtime cruise lines change, so Celebrity being more adult might be a change as Carnival being for partiers no longer the case on longer cruises. Some people simple don't like kids around. Yet have I read a thread questioning how much old folks or wheel chair will be on a cruise go over well but their behavior can be as bad or even worse.

I honestly believe that cruising when there are fewer children on-board can make for a more kid-friendly attitude among the crew and other pax. When there are other kids behaving badly, many of the GOFs (grumpy old farts) are more likely to lump ALL kids together and brand them all as problems and treat them all poorly. If a bunch of kids are allowed to run wild, unfortunately it will be more likely that all kids on that cruise will be branded as bad.

We were on a cruise a LONG time ago (pre kid) where there was a reunion of WWII submariners (and spouses) on board. Now some of those folks were really obnoxious -- drinking WAY too much, talking WAY too loud, truely believeing that they were the most important people on board and demanding special treatment. While not all were that way, most of the non-reunion pax gave any of the reunion pax a wide berth -- we had a lovely converstation with two couples on the second to the last night and toward the end they admitted that they were with the group, but stopped wearing the special badges and/or t-shirts and stuff because they did not want to be judged by the actions of their peers.

We've cruised RCCI, X, Princess, and NCL with our DD since she was an infant (who is now nearly 15YO!). Only once was she treated rudely by another pax (in the MDR - and thankfully the other pax at that diner's table and those at neighboring tables took my DD's "side"). Otherwise we have encountered rude comments/actions but not directed specifically toward my kid -- just rude people being rude in general.

Many adults do tend to marginalize kids -- clerks will wait on adults by-passing the kid who has been waiting longer, jumping in line in front of a kid, etc. But that is not just on cruise lines but anywhere.

I agree that Celebrity's kids program is a hidden gem. As long as you're not expecting waterslides and rock climbing walls, your kids will have a great time. Over the last few years, I've read dozens of these threads on Cruise Critic about kids and Celebrity. The people who warn you away from taking your family on Celebrity never seem to be people who have actually cruised with their own kids on Celebrity.

On our Summit cruise to the Med in June 2008, there were 330 kids out of 1950 pax. Admittedly, I have never cruised on Celebrity outside of school vacations. But I believe them when they say that the program will be open even for just a few kids. These ships have dedicated areas for kids and teens, and dedicated staff to run the Youth and Teen programs. By contrast, on the smaller Princess ships (like the Pacific and Ocean Princess) they tell you up front that they don't have any dedicated space for a kids program and will only run the program if at least 20 kids are booked. I think the OP and GatorMom should rest easy about taking the family on Celebrity.

Here's a photo of my younger DD on our Med cruise on the Summit:

IMG_0435.jpg

Thanks for all the encouragement! Our cruise is April 11-22, so we will probably get some spring breakers then. For some reason I thought that spring break was earlier.

College spring breaks are usually in early March. Most elementary schools have their spring break somewhere around Easter, but not all.

You will be fine. We have sailed with our kids many times and have never had a bad incident. Keep track of your kids and share the ship with those 'old f**ts', you have as much right to be there as they do. If we could all just get along it would be so nice!

I just have to say something about the comment that today's parents are very uninvolved and I must disagree. At least for my generation (we are mid-late 30s with kids in the 8-11 yr bracket). For US it is the total opposite. Think back to the 70s where there was still the "seen but not heard" mentality, maybe that is why kids were thought to be "better behaved" then? Because we did not want to be spanked? All my peers and I laugh about how we would be sent out on our bikes, told to come home at lunch, dinner and bed on a summer day and would not even SEE our parents otherwise. It seems that (among those of us who have talked about it anyhow) that there was no help with homework, no "playing" with Mom and Dad. We played with each other and that was ok. But I find that as a parent, I am now the total opposite. We are very much involved, engaging our kids and interacting with them.

There will always be those parents out there, regardless of generation, who let their kids run wild. But I think saying that "parents today are uninvolved" is as unfair as me saying something like "old people are cranky and should be in bed by 7:00pm" for example. Just sayin'.

One thing we've learned is that you can't count on those people who answer the phones on any cruise line. You can call four different people, ask the same question, and get four different answers. Most of those workers have never been on a cruise, believe it or not. And of course they will say anything to get a booking. I think you get answers that are more on point from those who've actually been there, done that. And from my experience, Celebrity does shut down the program, or really limits it when there are very few kids on board. But, seeing that Easter is very late next year, (April 24) the chance of a lot of kids is pretty high.

I just have to say something about the comment that today's parents are very uninvolved and I must disagree. At least for my generation (we are mid-late 30s with kids in the 8-11 yr bracket). For US it is the total opposite. Think back to the 70s where there was still the "seen but not heard" mentality, maybe that is why kids were thought to be "better behaved" then? Because we did not want to be spanked? All my peers and I laugh about how we would be sent out on our bikes, told to come home at lunch, dinner and bed on a summer day and would not even SEE our parents otherwise. It seems that (among those of us who have talked about it anyhow) that there was no help with homework, no "playing" with Mom and Dad. We played with each other and that was ok. But I find that as a parent, I am now the total opposite. We are very much involved, engaging our kids and interacting with them.

There will always be those parents out there, regardless of generation, who let their kids run wild. But I think saying that "parents today are uninvolved" is as unfair as me saying something like "old people are cranky and should be in bed by 7:00pm" for example. Just sayin'.

Something tells me that those of us who read the Family Boards are not the uninvolved parent types. If anything, maybe we're the helicopter parent types, lol.;)

I am a person in a wheelchair. I SO do not appreciate being lumped together with unruly kids and/or bad parenting!! :mad: :mad:

Yes, we ARE difficult to see -- we're behind you, you stop dead to converse/check out a pretty girl/check your map/ whatever..and we can't always stop dead, so run into you. And we must be invisible, as we often have people reach over our heads at the buffet, dripping salad dressing on us. Or turn and trip over us and scowl because we're there. Or back up and end up in our laps because they didn't look behind, or if they did, didn't look low enough. That's not OUR problem! Would you rather we shout at you, or beep a horn, or otherwise make some sort of obnoxious sound so you can see us??

And yes, we DO take up a lot of room on the elevator..if we can ever get ON the elevator, as many folks seem to not see us and stream around us to shove on, leaving us behind ...again and again. And yes, sometimes we DO roll over your toes, inadvertently. Or once we're ON the elevator, you don't have enough sense to step back out of the way so we can get OUT of the elevator -- where I've often rolled over someone's toes, because they're shoving past me to get on, and my wheelchair wheels pivot in the seam between elevator and floor...

I don't much like kids either -- and screeching kids are NEVER cute, in my book. Nor are kids that are crying and not being tended to. (I truly do understand the child having a "meltdown", the parent frantically trying to calm her down. I suggest that when this happens, the best thing to do is remove yourself and your child from the environment, at least for awhile, til she can collect herself. And then you both can return.) Or older kids that roam the halls and trip on me as they race around the corner. I don't go anywhere near the pool, so don't have to encounter kids there, thank goodness.

Generally the kids that have parents nearby, keeping track and paying attention, are fine. Sometimes they're loud and boisterous...as kids should be. It's when they're left to roam on their own, or whose parents might be there but seem oblivious to their behavior, that they become an issue for me.

I think with age some older folks have simply forgotten what they were like as parents or even as a kid. More and more parents aren't waiting until they are old and retired to enjoy time with the kids. For every one parent who wears the 'bad parent' badge, there are several who have stepped up to the plate but are easily ignored by the so called better parents of yester year. It's so easy to target the behavior off kids and question their presence. Within each group there are people we would be better of not being around. At least kids have a chance of growing up and becoming more tolerant and forgiving. I have met more rotten adults than kids on all areas of my travel.

The kids of today (mine too) act a bit more entitled and rightfully so. One too many times we have given our kids the things we wish we had w/o considering whether it's what they want or need. Last summer my kids would have preferred a week at the beach with friends but I wanted a cruise.

Uppitycats, I'm confused.:confused: Did someone on this thread criticize people in wheelchairs? I tried using the search function to figure out what you're referring to, but I came up with nothing. Perhaps you could clarify.

Try re-reading the post right above this one of yours, where you'll find this comment:

..... I had an incident where someone in a wheel chair almost ran into my butt but looked at me as if I had the problem for not having eyes in the back of my head. Other than run into you, some expect you to get off the elevator as if a wheel chair prohibits them from waiting and all disabilities are visible. Heaven forbids if your legs look fine but you suffer from arthritis.

As I said, I SO dislike being lumped together with unruly kids and bad parents!!

Note -- since I wrote this, allstarz apparently came in and edited out this section...but I had already copied it to post to you.

Uppitycats, thanks for clarifying. I was using the search function for "wheelchair" and it didn't find "wheel chair" as two words. These computers are soooo literal. Anyway, I certainly don't approve of lumping people in wheelchairs with unruly kids and bad parents. Also, I don't like my family to be lumped in with that group either. Down with rude people of all ages!

I have cruised with and without my child. I have NO problems taking my child onto any ship. I am also a parent who believes in rules on a ship. These rules also go for hotels.

1. Always say please and thank you to the staff. Rudeness will not be tolerated.

2. Do not run in the hallways. Period. It's not acceptable

3. Do not jump up and down or stomp your feet in the room. (Ok, this applies more to hotel rooms but it's just a good rule to follow):)

4. No loud voices in the hallways between the hours of 9p and 10a. You must use indoor voices at all times when in the hallways during these times. People are still sleeping. Also screaming in the hallways is not permitted unless it is a true emergency or you see a spider.

5. You will stand back and wait for those on the elevator to step off before you rush into the elevator. (And no you can't press all of the buttons until midnight on the last night of the cruise. :))

I also believe these rules apply to all people on the ship. I've honestly had more problems with people in their 40's-60's (Yes, I'm getting very close to that 40) then kids on the ship. This being said I say TAKE YOUR KIDS WHEREVER YOU WANT!!! :)

Try re-reading the post right above this one of yours, where you'll find this comment:

..... I had an incident where someone in a wheel chair almost ran into my butt but looked at me as if I had the problem for not having eyes in the back of my head. Other than run into you, some expect you to get off the elevator as if a wheel chair prohibits them from waiting and all disabilities are visible. Heaven forbids if your legs look fine but you suffer from arthritis.

As I said, I SO dislike being lumped together with unruly kids and bad parents!!

Note -- since I wrote this, allstarz apparently came in and edited out this section...but I had already copied it to post to you.

Thats a lie, I did not edit for the reason of changing those words in post #34. Please go back and see if those words are still there. I shared an experience with someone in a wheel chair as others have shared incidents with kids. I used the word 'some' but the distention is not usually made when talking about kids. My point is the minute you point out the behavior of any group other than kids, someone get up in arms. Thanks for proving that point.

My post was at 10:30 am, you wrote at 3:30 pm. How could I have edited that out before you copied it....smh!

I have found out from my TA and friends that the best kept secret in the cruise industry is how good the Celebrity kid's program is:-)

Keep in mind and forgive some old, grummpy, folks/f**ts, who did not get the memo that crusing is no longer for the old and cold, newly wed and almost dead. They have done thier time with kids and now are looking to enjoy a life w/o having them around, especially on vacation. Given the option I would not cruise with very young children ( I didn't with my own) or old f**ts. We all have our preference but crusing is a vacation calling out to all generations. Majority of the people you will meet understand this, so don't worry. I had an incident where someone in a wheel chair almost ran into my butt but looked at me as if I had the problem for not having eyes in the back of my head. Other than run into you, some expect you to get off the elevator as if a wheel chair prohibits them from waiting and all disabilities are visible. Heaven forbids if your legs look fine but you suffer from arthritis.

Some forums are 'more' kid friendly than others. Some cruise lines cater to kids than others. With Celebrity you are going to find a hidden gem for your kids. Overtime cruise lines change, so Celebrity being more adult might be a change as Carnival being for partiers no longer the case on longer cruises. Some people simple don't like kids around. Yet have I read a thread questioning how much old folks or wheel chair will be on a cruise go over well but their behavior can be as bad or even worse.

Uppitycat, here is my entire post as it currently stands. Where did the edit of that section?

Archived