angels and demons

babygoo

Has anyone had experience of an independant angels and demons tour (on a thursday which rules out dark rome which seems to be popular)

Thanks, Babygoo

We did an independant angles and demons tour a year ago last May, just as the movie came out. I don't remember the company, we were not very impressed. It was a walking tour and the guide walked us from site to site and read from the book. We had already been to most of the sites earlier in the day and we had all read the book. She was not impressed at all with Dan Brown and made that very well known. We all agreed with with a decent map we could have done this on our own and saved the $$$.

That was just our opinion but that was our experience.

I was on the Carnival Dream TA which started in Rome and a group of people on our roll call were doing the tour. don't know who they used, though...Or what they thought about it. We flew in the day of sailing so didn't get to see anything of Rome but the Vatican. EM

Perhaps you would get a more knowledgeable response if you posted this on the Italy port of call board.

We did this just printing out a walking tour on line and walked or took the subway to the major sights--but we were on a land vacation and had 3 days to get it done.

However, many of the paintings/sculptures, etc. in the churches were hidden by tarps.

While in Rome last year, I did a walking tour through another company. We walked through many of the sites where A&D was filmed as well as some of the most beautiful ruins.

So I don't offend people, or break any rules - send me a note and I can give you the company, it was inexpensive and wonderful. vinternspasssion@verizon.net

We did a Mediterranean cruise in May this year and used a company called Rome in Limo for our Rome tour. They offer an Angels and Demons tour although we did not take it. However, the Rome tour we did choose was outstanding and we have booked Rome in Limo again for our return trip next year.

My wife and I did the Angels & Demons tour with Dark Rome when in Rome for a Sunday between two cruises this past May. We think this was one of the best tours we've ever been on. The guide was an older student(late twenties - some might say perpetual) who took our group of about 18 people around, read (and acted out) some exerpts from the book, and was generally an entertaining delight. He was very knowledgeable about both the book and the history of each of the locations visited; as well as the literary liberties Dan Brown took. While we walked between some locations, we were taken by a large van between the more dispersed locations. The scheduled four hour tour turned into a five and one-half hour tour, but no one complained - we were all having too good a time. I think this was the first time I've ever seen everyone tip the guide, some lavishly.

We did the official Angels and Demons tour and we thought it was fantastic. Our guide was so cute - when she read segments from the book she got very animated and that really made us all enjoy the experience. She explained each site we stopped at and really gave us a lot of information about places we would have never visited without this tour. She also gave lots of info when we were in the bus traveling from site to site. I'd do the tour again I enjoyed it so much.

We had a good experience with III Millennia tours, which offiers an Angles and Demons tour: http://threemillennia.com/semi-private-group-tours/the-unofficial-angels-and-demons-tour/

We did the tour booked through Viator...it was absoutely fabulous and we enjoyed it very much. You end up touring quite a bit of Rome just by following the book through the city....don't miss it:)

thumbnail.aspx?q=212122671792&id=00298e1c1eb1209c7401ccb2e32db781&url=http%3a%2f%2fi113.photobucket.com%2falbums%2fn230%2fkikidior%2fbernini.jpg

This picture doesn't do it justice, but one good outcome of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons is that more people are visiting Santa Maria della Vittoria and seeing this phenomenal scupture, and getting turned on to Bernini.

Too bad he didn't write about this one, the Ecstasy of Beata Ludovica in San Francesco a Ripa in Trastevere.

thumbnail.aspx?q=200270025876&id=f57210a4f4f97f2f38d8ef245abaa67a&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gilesorr.com%2ftravels%2fRome2009%2f20090521.1196.GO.CanonSX10.web.jpg

Archived