Foods not to be missed....

Grota2

Thanks everyone. This helps a lot, more than you know. Funny how important food becomes while on a cruise.

One more question. Will we be able to get milk throughout thie day for our 18month old lil cruiser? As we haven't been able to get him to transition to cold milk, I'm thinking if we can stash some in our fridge at night would I be able to find a microwave to warm it? I'm thinking we can use room service at times, I assume they would be able to do this in the mornings?

BTW, if your on this cruise he'll be the one wearing the adorable little sailors suit on the formal nights.

Thanks again

Suezyq, you read my mind. We're on this cruise too Grota, you should join our roll call. We have a great group and some fun things planned!

This is a lot of great info, thanks everyone for posting. Those of us who haven't been on RCI yet are greatly appreciative!!

~Lisa :p

We're on the 9-12 sailing too. Looking forward to it!

Well the first 3 posts on this page list 3 of my favourites - savory bites, mushroom filo pastry appetiser and MDR lunchtime salad bar.

To those I'll add the BBB dessert (Baileys Banana brulee) and the Seafood skewer in Portofino.

What is Honey Strung Chicken?

I think it is overrated. It is OK, but not really great. It is a traditional item served in the Lido buffet for lunch during departure. It is chicken breasts sort of like Fried Chicken but without the crispiness -- I think it is baked and not fried. It is not bad, and I always eat some, but I'm not hooked on it like some people.

Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's Pizza are free (well, included in the initial cruise price). Both are on deck 5. Cafe Promenade has good Seattle's best coffee (just the coffee -- if you want a fancy latte or something, you have to pay extra). It also has good pre-made sandwiches and yummy desserts. I have not been on a ship with Sorrento's, but I hear it is good Italian food. (***** the Voyager class ships, pizza is served in Cafe Promenade.) Oh, Cafe Promende is open 24 hours, and has great Danish for breakfast.

Johnny Rockets has good hamburgers and fries, but is $4.95 extra. And drinks cost even more. Ben and Jerry's ice creams is not free either, but the soft serve ice cream in the Lido buffet and pool area is free. Also check for lunch items by the pool. One time we had great jerk chicken wings.

As for the MDR evening, I enjoy the prime rib and the lamb.

My favorites were the chilled fruit soups, the lunchtime salad in the MDR and the savory bites. I also enjoyed the lobster. I know some people here say it's not that good, but it was my first time eating lobster and I enjoyed it.

My brother loved the chicken wings from room service. He ordered them just about every day.

Thanks everyone. This helps a lot, more than you know. Funny how important food becomes while on a cruise.

One more question. Will we be able to get milk throughout thie day for our 18month old lil cruiser? As we haven't been able to get him to transition to cold milk, I'm thinking if we can stash some in our fridge at night would I be able to find a microwave to warm it? I'm thinking we can use room service at times, I assume they would be able to do this in the mornings?

BTW, if your on this cruise he'll be the one wearing the adorable little sailors suit on the formal nights.

Thanks again

Yes you will be able to get milk throughout the day either through room service or by hopping up to the Windjammer when it's open. You won't find a microwave to use to warm it though. My best suggestion for that is to look for a bottle warmer that you can take with you (even if he doesn't use a bottle anymore you can always pour the milk into a cup after it's warmed).

Great topic: My two cents. Loved the smoked salmon at breakfast time. It will be on a cart with some items off to the side. Ask a waiter if you don't see it. You can also order smoked salmon for in-room service. Great on POC days. That's what we do. The omelette station is also good.

I thought the lobster was AWFUL on formal night on Serenade, and I eat just about anything.

For Portofino, DH says he had the best steak of his life there, the tenderloin. I suggest taking some sandwich baggies with ya if you want to take left overs with you. The staff in Portofino seemed SHOCKED when I asked for a to-go box. Said they could have it delivered to our room if we gave them a time. We were decked out and heading to Meet the Captain party on formal night. It would have been tacky carrying to-go to that event. DH wanted to eat his steak as leftover later. He was disappointed to leave it behing. Also, don't let your waiter stuff ya with pasta. Just decline and save yourself for the good stuff of the entree.

I liked that seafood skewer meal. It was good.

The Mogolian Grill is offered on some nights at the WJ at the back of theWJ. Delish. The deli bar also has great sandwiches that I covered in a cloth napkin and took back to our room after an exhausting POC day.

Really didn't like that Seaview Cafe much. The staff there was overly friendly and intrusive, IMO... In fact a real jerk, but I didn't complain officially.

Hope this helps. Can't wait until my Oct cruise.

Hello all, only my 3rd cruise but first with RCL, first 2 were with Princess. Anyway, I'm travelling with 7 other first time cruisers, plus an 18 month old baby who'll eat anything.

I've read so much on how the foods in the MDR are getting old and the quality getting worse, but they'll all be new to us. Just wondering about the highlights, the foods we should make sure we try or anything to avoid, and thought I'd open it up to the group.

We are planning on Portofino once also, and perhaps Chops, so feel free to include info there to.

We're cruising on the Freedom on Sept 12th.

Thanks so much in advance

the little sandwiches at the cafe' promenade late at night before going to bed

Well the first 3 posts on this page list 3 of my favourites - savory bites, mushroom filo pastry appetiser and MDR lunchtime salad bar.

To those I'll add the BBB dessert (Baileys Banana brulee) and the Seafood skewer in Portofino.

I've heard people talk about Savory Bites before...what are they, exactly? Thanks!

My wife took her leftover filet from Chops last month, put it in a ziplock baggie and used it the next day on a salad in the WJ for lunch.

Yes, the Mongolian Grill in the WJ for dinner was the one of the best meals we had the whole week. Even went back for another nighjt.

Great topic........

For Portofino' date=' DH says he had the best steak of his life there, the tenderloin. I suggest taking some sandwich baggies with ya if you want to take left overs with you. The staff in Portofino seemed SHOCKED when I asked for a to-go box. Said they could have it delivered to our room if we gave them a time. We were decked out and heading to Meet the Captain party on formal night. It would have been tacky carrying to-go to that event. DH wanted to eat his steak as leftover later. He was disappointed to leave it behing. Also, don't let your waiter stuff ya with pasta. Just decline and save yourself for the good stuff of the entree.

I liked that seafood skewer meal. It was good.

The Mogolian Grill is offered on some nights at the WJ at the back of theWJ. Delish. The deli bar also has great sandwiches that I covered in a cloth napkin and took back to our room after an exhausting POC day......[/quote']

I've heard people talk about Savory Bites before...what are they, exactly? Thanks!

Heard alot about the Savory Bites - so we tried them last week on the Oasis - they reminded me of poppy seed bagels cut into wedges. Tried them - OK, but not my first choice to pick from in the bread basket.

Delish: The chocolate dessert on the "Dessert Sampler" plate (second Formal Night, I think). There are three small bites of desserts, and the chocolate one is the only one worth eating, IMO. The other two are nasty-poo. Next time, I'm just going to ask for three chocolate ones. :D Also, the sugar-free Key Lime Pie is amazing (even better than the regular in a side-by-side taste test).

Avoid: The Turkey dinner with fixin's. Worst entrée I've ever tried to eat on RCI. :p

Food is subjective. We love the food on RCI, in Windjammer and MDR. No complaints. Oh... except for the turkey dinner, I guess. ;)

Sorry to go off topic a little, but....I have seen Key Lime Pie mentioned quite often on CC. I had never heard of it but it sounds delicious :)

I will have to look on the internet for a recipe, especially the sugar-free one, being a diabetic.

I'll see if I can make it and hope it turns out better than my navy blue muffins I made the other day :eek:....blueberry. :confused:

Heard alot about the Savory Bites - so we tried them last week on the Oasis - they reminded me of poppy seed bagels cut into wedges. Tried them - OK, but not my first choice to pick from in the bread basket.

There is usually 3 to 4 flavors, did you try them all?

In the MDR my faves were the chilled soups, vidalia onion tart, and the escargot. The salad at lunch was wonderful. I had the filet in both Chop and Portofino and it was excellent in both. The sides in Chops are heavenly. I also had quite a few yummy little sandwiches from Cafe Promenade. Enjoy!!

Really didn't like that Seaview Cafe much. The staff there was overly friendly and intrusive' date=' IMO... In fact a real jerk, but I didn't complain officially.[/quote']

I don't think the Freedom OTS has a Seaview Cafe.

Archived