Bay of islands-what to see???

We're arriving on the Sun Princess on Oct 16 at the Bay of Islands. We'll be tendering at this port and are scheduled to be there from 8am until 5pm. I'm having problems deciding how to spend our day.

The Waitangi Treaty House, Grounds and Canoe sound interesting. (Although we will be going to Te Puia at our stop in Tauranga.)

The Waipoua Kauri Forest on the West Coast sounds interesting.

And a half day Dolphin Cruise (or shorter Mac Boat Cruise) sounds like fun.

Sooooooo, to the experienced New Zealand Cruisers, what would your recommendations be?

Thanks for your answers.

If you would like a leisurely day there is a ferry over to Russell that we took and enjoyed just walking around the small town. The cemetary is worth a visit. A stop at the "Pub 'round the corner" is a good place for a cold beer, if you're inclined.

We hired a car and drove all over the place when we were in the Bay of Islands.

However, I wouldn't recommend this. The tender process off Sun Princess on the day we were there was ridiculously slow - took several hours to get off :eek:. So our full day car hire turned into just about half a day by the time we got to shore.

I decided that day that I would do ships tours in future when in tender ports.

It is a beautiful place to visit. I am sure any activity will be fun!

You can have a wonderful day in the Bay of Islands just wandering about and taking the ferry over to Russell.

Another great destination is KeriKeri.

If you can get there, you will find wonderful Vineyard Cafes , and a lovely Village with great art and crafts shopping..

Dont know why the cruise lines don't put on a shuttle over there.:eek:

Thank you for all of your responses. We have booked a private tour with Total Tours, which will take us to The Forest, Kerikeri, the Treaty Grounds, and a fast boat ride.

We're looking forward to our day at Bay of Islands!!!

Kia ora,

A good selection of places. The girth of the the kauri in the forest is amazing - while you can see taller trees elsewhere in the world I doubt if you will see any with the circumference of Tane Mahuta. Northland is sub-tropical so on the way there you will see another aspect of New Zealand's varied countryside. Kerikerei is very popular, and the treaty grounds at Waitangi are associated with a lot of our history, being the place where the treaty of Waitangi was signed.

Aquarians

I should have stated that we're going to the Puketi Forest. Unfortunately, the forest with Tane Mahuta, the largest tree, is too far away to visit and still see the other things we'd like to see :(.

Reh250, you are correct. Total Tours website does not list the tour we are doing because I contacted them and asked them if seeing all of what we're scheduled to see is possible, and they put the tour together for us. I have been working with Shona. You can contact her at shona@totaltours.com.nz. Just tell her what you'd like to see and she'll put together a schedule and price. Our arrangement is to have a guide with us for the forest, Kerikeri and then drop us off at the Treaty Grounds. We'll see the Treaty Grounds ourselves and then go to the boat dock and catch the 2:30 fast boat ride, until 4pm. Then return to the Sun Princess. Shona has arranged to purchase the boat tickets for us, at a discount, and reserve the space for us.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
I should have stated that we're going to the Puketi Forest. Unfortunately, the forest with Tane Mahuta, the largest tree, is too far away to visit and still see the other things we'd like to see :(.

Reh250, you are correct. Total Tours website does not list the tour we are doing because I contacted them and asked them if seeing all of what we're scheduled to see is possible, and they put the tour together for us. I have been working with Shona. You can contact her at shona@totaltours.com.nz. Just tell her what you'd like to see and she'll put together a schedule and price. Our arrangement is to have a guide with us for the forest, Kerikeri and then drop us off at the Treaty Grounds. We'll see the Treaty Grounds ourselves and then go to the boat dock and catch the 2:30 fast boat ride, until 4pm. Then return to the Sun Princess. Shona has arranged to purchase the boat tickets for us, at a discount, and reserve the space for us.

Hope this helps!

Toledo Cruiser -

Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your very kind reply to my inquiry! (I really need to check these boards more frequently! :D)

Your tour sounds like just the thing I am looking for while at Bay of Islands! I will contact Shona and see if she can arrange this for us as well. Does your fast boat ride go to the Hole in the Rock?

When are you scheduled to cruise? Would love to hear about your travels on your return. :)

Hello-

Our fast boat ride is advertised as being 1 1/2 hours long and going to the hole in the rock, around the islands and dolphin watching, if the dolphins are cooperating.

We are on the Sun Princess, leaving out of Sydney on Oct 13, for a 13 night cruise, returning to Sydney on Oct 26.

Hope Shona is able to work with you. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Leann

• 2 weeks later...

Archived