Pre cruise/ Copenhagen and beyond

LynnSD

Hello -

I'm looking for suggestions about add-ons to a Baltic cruise and am interested to hear other's experience. We are planning the Emerald Princess July 2011, which is round trip Copenhagen. They do have a cruisetour that goes to Prague-Vienna-Berlin, but the price is huge. So -- my question is -- what is a good plan if we want to spend 4-5 days somewhere before the cruise? We could either travel by land or air to Copenhagen for an additional day there before boarding the ship.

Thanks for your ideas!

Lynn

Hello -

I'm looking for suggestions about add-ons to a Baltic cruise and am interested to hear other's experience. We are planning the Emerald Princess July 2011, which is round trip Copenhagen. They do have a cruisetour that goes to Prague-Vienna-Berlin, but the price is huge. So -- my question is -- what is a good plan if we want to spend 4-5 days somewhere before the cruise? We could either travel by land or air to Copenhagen for an additional day there before boarding the ship.

Thanks for your ideas!

Lynn

Be sure to have some time in Copenhagen, it's a beautiful City. Lots to see and do. Very walkable, but a great way to see the sights is the HOHO bus.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello -

Thanks for your ideas!

Lynn

We are booked on the Emerald August 9, 2011 Round trip Copenhagen

We chose to arrive on August 6th and spend 3 nights in Copenhagen B/4 the Cruise @ the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel with Breakfast and see the City Also we chose to Stay Aturday and Sunday night Augest 20 / 21, 2011 (2 Nights) Same Hotel And Fly Home on Monday

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Not to mention -- aside from Copenhagen being so great, other cities are nearby and easily reachable by train for day trips or even half day trips. The system is very easy to use. Malmo, Sweden is lovely. Helsingor is about an hour north and has the beautiful Kronborg Castle. The town of Roskilde is barely 30 min away and has the Viking Museum. Hamburg, Germany, is 4 hrs away by international train, and has all kinds of things to do and see, should you want to add a country to your visit.

As Keith and others noted, Copenhagen is a super great city. Loved it, both in 2008 and earlier this summer. Below are a few visual samples for what is there to see and experience.

Don't miss Tivoli, especially at night, plus walking around in this charming and historic city. And next year, the Little Mermaid will be back from its travels to China.

Also check out this earlier posting: Copenhagen: "Why Walking Back Is Super Great!!!!"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Tivoli looks so special at night with its famed building designs, water features, gardens, flowers, rides, people, entertainment, etc.:

TivoliJapHseLake.jpg

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Copenhagen's historic 1695 Church of Our Saviour is a baroque church with its famous corkscrew spire as seen on the canal tour in the Christanshavns canal area:

CopenSpiralChurch.jpg

This is the Gefion Springvandet fountain we walked past on our afternoon stroll back to the ship. This is Copenhagen’s largest monument and was built in 1908. It is based on a Scandinavian mythical tale of the goddess Gefion who plowed the island of Zealand out of Sweden. It was donated by the Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the brewery’s 50-year anniversary.:

1A-Copenhagen-Fountain.jpg

Rosenborg Castle in central Copenhagen now holds the Royal treasures. It was originally built in 1606 as a summer palace, expanded and put into its current condition in in 1624. It houses a museum exhibiting the Royal Collections, late 16th to the 19th century. This includes the Crown Jewels and the Danish Crown Regalia:

OldPalace.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “New” Harbor is actually old and charming with lots of outdoor dining options and nearby shopping:

Boat.jpg

We will be on the Emerald May 24...same cruise r/t Copenhagen. We're going to spend 4 nights in Paris, then fly to Copenhagen for two nights pre cruise! Paris in the springtime sounded wonderful, besides we haven't been there before. We arrive in Copenhagen late in the afternoon when the marathon will be run. Tivoli that evening should be awesome!

LOVE the pictures TLCOhio!!!

We will be on the Emerald May 24...same cruise r/t Copenhagen. We're going to spend 4 nights in Paris, then fly to Copenhagen for two nights pre cruise! Paris in the springtime sounded wonderful, besides we haven't been there before. We arrive in Copenhagen late in the afternoon when the marathon will be run. Tivoli that evening should be awesome! LOVE the pictures TLCOhio!!!

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Enjoy your four days in Paris!!! That's a decent amount of time there when you can do and see lots, plus rest up from a long flight there. If you have any Paris questions, please post on the France board and we'll be happy to respond, share visuals, etc. Here are a few more pictures from wonderful Tivoli in the evening. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Part of the City Hall Tower can be seen with this lake view from within Tivoli.:

TivoliLakeTower.jpg

Here is one of Tivoli’s most unique buildings “showing off” with its covering of spectacular lighting. Thomas Edison would be proud!

TivoliOrientNight.jpg

Copenhagen is a wonderful city to just roam around in. There are several excellent walking tours you can do. Besides the regular sights, walk around and find some unusual things that will make your stay there so much more memorable.

here are a few of my pix of my time in Copenhagen

Since you will be there next year, the Little Mermaid will be back on her regular spot in the Copenhagen harbor. Do not miss her. she was on vacation in China this year, but next year she will be back

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe212.jpg

Not far from the Little Mermaid is the Amalienborg Palace where, everyday, you can watch the Changing of the Guard ceremony. They march all the way from Nyhavn to the Palace.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster296.jpg

Be sure to do the Canal Boat tour. You get a really different prospective of the city from these boats

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster284.jpg

Take some time from touring around and take a stroll down the Stroget, about a 5 block pedestrian mall that has many, many fine shops to either window shop or buy something special

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster303.jpg

And don't forget to ahve your picture taken with Hans Christian Anderson. The statue sits in the City Hall square, the main square in Copenhagen

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe318.jpg

Stroll around this marvelous city and you will find treasures all over the place. We were wandering by the pier and came across this exquisite church. nestled by a moat.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe353.jpg

Enjoy your time in this city

Cheers

Len

We spent 3 nights in Copenhagen before our cruise in July 2010, and had a great time visiting the museums, castles, Roskilde, and other sights. For us, the 3 day Copenhagen card was a good value as we visited 4-5 sites every day -- including visits to Tivoli each of the 3 nights. We used public transit several times, including the city circle bus line. The only slight regret we have was our decision to stay at the Marriott. It was free since I was using points and was very nice even by Marriott standards, but the location was in an area with mostly commercial and government buildings (no restaurants). Next time I would stay somewhere else.

My thanks to all of you who replied. It sounds like there will be plenty to do in Copenhagen, and I'm going to look into some of the one-day excursions outside the city too.

Now to track down a hotel....

Lynn

Archived