Lucca or San Giamango (?sp)

montelco

We love them both. Had been to San G a couple of decades ago and thought it was one of the most unusual, most lovely little villages we'd ever seen. The hill-top setting was stunning, the old, old town like being in a fairy-tale. I could hardly bring myself to leave and we wished we'd had an overnight there so that we could experience its rare beauty in the evening, when tourists were mainly gone, when lights were soft, etc.

A month ago, when we were in Livorno on a cruise stop (the other was a driving tour through Italy), we were tempted to head to San G again, but decided not to because it was a bit far (excursion was combined with Siena, which we love very much as well). We'd never been to Lucca, so we decided to do that instead, since it was so close and we'd not have to do a 10 hour excursion.

We thought Lucca was great-- not as memorable, handsome or unique as San G, but a wonderful old walled town, with lots of pleasant streets to wander (we're not shoppers), the handsome wall to walk or bike on (6 miles of it, I think). We're glad we experienced Lucca-- truly a handsome place-- but it didn't have the magic of San G. Lucca is a "real" place; San G seemed almost a fantasy. (This was many years ago-- for all I know San G has changed.)

Hope this helps.

Both are lovely and well worth a visit. Some differences or things to consider:

Travel mode is probably the biggest issue, you will need a car to get to San Gimignano, either a car service, a cab, or a rental car that you drive. The ride will take around two hours if you drive yourself, slightly less with someone esle driving who knows where they are going.

Lucca is an easy one hour train ride away.

Both are walled cities, but San Gimignano is a hill town while Lucca is flat and at sea level.

Lucca is considerably larger, both in geography and population.

My take (similar to euro cruiser's)

Lucca: easy trip, plenty to see and do. Two trains every hour (change at Pisa). Very good foodie town (odd ball hint: there is a quite good chinese restaurant a block from the train station .. not world class by any means, but more than adequate ... just in case you are looking for something different for lunch.) Lucca as home to Puccini

San G: While Lucca will have plenty of tourists during the high season, San G will be wall-to-wall tourists. I love San Gimignano (note the spelling) in the evening and early morning. Almost everyone visits San G as a day trip (it looks like a bus convention), so it wonderfully peaceful before and after the hordes arrive. It is a special place, but I find the mass of tourists (it is a very small town, remember) off-putting.

:confused:Have been investigating different ports and wondered whether we should go to Lucca or San Giamangio instead of Florence for a different experience. Any suggestions?

Haven't been to San Gimignano yet, but as for Lucca, it does make for a very enjoyable day. Plus, as it is not the prime destination for cruisers stopping in Livorno, you'll be able to escape the tourist trail.

When you get a chance, stop by the bookstore or library and go through the Lucca section of Rick Steves' Italy guidebook. There is some excellent information there and you'll be able to make a better decision if this is how you want to spend your day.

Ciao.

but a great town AFTER they ve left,,,we rented villa and did all hill towns,etc,,,,fun place,very scenic,great church and views,,etc...but if going during day,,it will be packed/

Lucca,,,not so much,,, as above posters have said,,,great,,just different....really have to find what YOU d like best, in time you have,etc...

Loved both,,,ps...funny about Chinese rest,,,we went there too,,,just because we need a break from all the wonderful Italian cooking,,ahahaha

Also,,Oysterdam,,,is that a yellow beagle,,can t tell,,,my tri colored one wants to know,???Love the photo...:)

I haven't been to Lucca, but I did do a tour to San G with a stop at an old castle turned winery for wine tasting in Tuscany, not sure of the name now.

But I can say the same as the others, San G was packed, wall to wall tourists. I think there had to be at least 200 buses in the parking lot.

And as others have posted, it would be absolutely lovely in the evening when the crowds have left.

I'm sure you will enjoy whichever town you choose to visit.

Archived