Equinox Apple store

Tender Lee

As another poster indicated, if you purchase anything on board that is above the customs exemption then the cruise line reports the item to customs and they will have a list in the room where you pay customs duty on disembarkation morning. I don't know what happens if you don't show up and have you name crossed off the list, but I'm not sure I'd want to find out.

Yes, there is an iPad over $800...throw in some jewelry and liquor purchases, etc...

The ipad can go on DH tax free allotment...and I can still "shop" with mine. :p

Actually, I think there is an OPTION where a couple can combine their tax free purchase limit of $800 each to a combo total of $1600. I think we should still be able to purchase an ipad tax free.:)

The ipad can go on DH tax free allotment...and I can still "shop" with mine. :p

Actually, I think there is an OPTION where a couple can combine their tax free purchase limit of $800 each to a combo total of $1600. I think we should still be able to purchase an ipad tax free.:)

Oh yeah that's true, wasn't thinking about the couple option since I sail solo!!

Jeff

Make sure that you download already items on your I pad, like personal pictures, books, music etc. and then customs will not suspect that you bought the Ipad during your holidays. This is what we, "professional" travellers (flight-crew) do to avoid the custom-gestapo at the (air)ports.

Also, WEAR your new jewellerey when disembarking.

Make sure that you download already items on your I pad, like personal pictures, books, music etc. and then customs will not suspect that you bought the Ipad during your holidays. This is what we, "professional" travellers (flight-crew) do to avoid the custom-gestapo at the (air)ports.

Without even beginning to discuss the morals and ramifications of smuggling....

They WILL KNOW when the ship gives them a list of all the expensive purchases made on board. I don't know the cut off amount for this list but I do know that customs does receive one and they do check to make sure all the listed purchases are reported. I've seen this happening when we've gone down to the customs desk on disembarkation morning to pay duty on items purchased.

Frankly, I agree with a poster above - if I was purchasing an iPad I think I'd rather buy it before the cruise and have it all set up for my traveling use and enjoyment even if it meant spending an extra 7% ($35 to $70 depending on model). That isn't going to break me and that way I'd have more use of it then if I waited to buy on board - and if I was in the market for one I'd want it "NOW" in any event.

Why?

OK what am I missing? You can order one off Amazon from out of state sellers, fully warranteed and returnable, with no sales tax...why the need/desire to buy one on Board a ship? Just a cool thing to do???

It's amazing the 'stuff' people by off a cruise ship, just so they can say they bought it on a cruise ship.

If and when you do buy an iPad don't they have to activate it against an account presumably with AT&T? Could they 'activate' a brand new iPad while at sea so that you could actually begin to use it and start downloading stuff? And would Celebrity charge you airtime to use their Internet to download apps and other stuff on your brand new iPad? I'm assuming it doesn't come preloaded with a ton of apps and games? I agree with the poster saying I would prefer to buy it before the cruise to have it activated and all set up.

It's amazing the 'stuff' people by off a cruise ship, just so they can say they bought it on a cruise ship.

If and when you do buy an iPad don't they have to activate it against an account presumably with AT&T? Could they 'activate' a brand new iPad while at sea so that you could actually begin to use it and start downloading stuff? And would Celebrity charge you airtime to use their Internet to download apps and other stuff on your brand new iPad? I'm assuming it doesn't come preloaded with a ton of apps and games? I agree with the poster saying I would prefer to buy it before the cruise to have it activated and all set up.

You do have to hook it up to iTunes on a computer to set it up! And cruise computers are somewhat notoriously accessory/attachment unfriendly! But who knows, if you bought it on board they might assist you? That being said, it still needs to interface w ATT online and god only knows the onboard Internet connection speeds ain't too fast!

I already have a pad, so mine will be cruise-ready for 2 weeks from now loaded with books, music and maybe a movie or two!!

Jeff

There are 6 iPad models: 3 memory sizes X 3G connectivity & WiFi or WiFi w/o 3G connectivity. Only the 3 models that include 3G connectivity have to be registered with AT&T for US models.

At this point, only Eclipse has the Apple lounge.

Rich

when flying, we used to get stickers on our camera & lenses to show we brought them with us....

Does anyone know if the purchase of an Apple ipad onboard the Equinox would be tax and duty free?

I was on the Eclipse this July and their iLounge had no ipads but they did sell other apple products. I also believe that only the Eclipse and Silhouette had plans for the iLounge; however, given the popularity, there were plans in place to expand to the Solstice and Summit this summer.

Archived