Chef's Table and Kids

TikkiTembo

We are first time cruisers and everything I’ve read about the Chef’s Table has peaked my curiosity; and from what I’ve read this does not appear to be an event for kids. (Hubby is a total foodie.) If DH and I wanted to do the Chef’s Table, will the kids (age 12 & 8) be able to stay at their Carnival Camps? Or are the camps closed during this dinner time? Or, should we just scrap the idea and try to do it when we travel alone?

For your younger child, there's a "Dinner with your friends" offered with Camp Carnival every night except the first night of the cruise in the Lido deck restaurant. It starts at 6, so you should have plenty of time to drop him/her off for dinner and meet the Chef's Table group (on our cruise, we met in the lobby at 6:15). After dinner, they'll go off to scheduled Camp Carnival activities. You'll have to pay for babysitting after 10 if your dinner, like ours, finishes around 10:30.

There is no scheduled dinner for the 12 and up group. When we do our own dinner, our son usually goes with friends to get pizza, then goes off to Circle C activities.

When I made our reservations for the chefs table, I clearly stated it was for my 15 year old son and I. We got the reservations?

Charleyann

You'll be fine. We had a couple of teens in our group for Chef's Table. They had sparkling juice with the appetizers in the galley and soda with dinner. I wouldn't bring someone younger than 13 or a teen who doesn't appreciate fine dining (like my 14 YO:rolleyes:).

To be perfectly honest, i personally would not be happy with younger children at a chefs table. Only due to the cost i invested I would like a nice fining dining experience with adults. I would deal with it and not let it bother me and enjoy myself but my preference would be without.

I have nothing against children by any means but i feel that some things should be left up to adults only. i dont mind if there in the adult pool, hottub or any where else, I would think twice on that but i think at dinner in this type of atmosphere it would.

But the decision is yours and how you think they would behave. would it be more enjoyable if it was you and hubby?

To be perfectly honest, i personally would not be happy with younger children at a chefs table. Only due to the cost i invested I would like a nice fining dining experience with adults. I would deal with it and not let it bother me and enjoy myself but my preference would be without.

I have nothing against children by any means but i feel that some things should be left up to adults only. i dont mind if there in the adult pool, hottub or any where else, I would think twice on that but i think at dinner in this type of atmosphere it would.

But the decision is yours and how you think they would behave. would it be more enjoyable if it was you and hubby?

The OP in no way suggested they would bring their kids to the Chef's Table. They asked about the kids going to Camp Carnival. Period.

The OP in no way suggested they would bring their kids to the Chef's Table. They asked about the kids going to Camp Carnival. Period.
Hey, Dr. Jack! How are you doing? Our oldest son (now 19) is at the US Merchant Marine Academy. Yep, he wants to sail for a living. Right now he's in Guam, learning about being a ship's engineer.:p As my post kinda indicated, we're still sailing with the younger two - now 14 and 10. They'd both be happier with dinner with their friends than trying the Chef's Table.

• 1 year later...

It entirely depends on the kid. I wouldn't bring a young one who couldn't sit still for a 2.5 hour event. They would be much happier at Camp Carnival, as others have suggested.

Some teens might like it, some not. I brought my 14 year old DD, who is a foodie, but not my 18 yo son, who thinks pizza is haute cuisine.

• 3 weeks later...
My daughter always goes with me to Chefs Table. This will be our third time. She is now 9 years old. She enjoys trying new foods and knowing about their preparation as much as many adults I know. She is very well behaved and is

Never a bother or nuisance to anyone.

I am taking my 14 y/o daughter. She is a foodie and wants to be a chef.

Wow…I started reading this post because I’m still debating the Chef’s Table for our next cruise. I saw the topic but did not even look at who the OP was. Lo and behold it was ME. Funny that this post has resurrected itself from 2010! Like I mentioned it was never my intention to bring my kids. While my kids are quite respectful and know how to conduct themselves appropriately, I know it would be a waste of money to bring them because I don’t think they would appreciate the food and the effort that goes into preparing such lovely meal. (Remember, this “them” I refer to are my kids because they are the only ones I speak for.) That being said, I’m still on the fence about doing this. BUT, the pictures I’ve seen of this experience are really pushing more towards going for it.

"Wow…I started reading this post because I’m still debating the Chef’s Table for our next cruise. I saw the topic but did not even look at who the OP was. Lo and behold it was ME. Funny that this post has resurrected itself from 2010!"

Too funny, Tikki! :D

"Wow…I started reading this post because I’m still debating the Chef’s Table for our next cruise. I saw the topic but did not even look at who the OP was. Lo and behold it was ME. Funny that this post has resurrected itself from 2010!"

Too funny, Tikki! :D

So....

the question is: Are you planning to take your now 14 and 10 year old kids to chef table :).

True, but many of the responses are people saying that they have brought their kids to the Chef's Table, including a 9 YO that will be going for the 3rd time.

I'm booked for the Chef's Table on the Breeze this summer (mediterranean cruise). I'm certainly hoping that there are no kids at our Chef's Table. While I haven't done a Chef's Table with Carnival, I have done several with Princess. A large part of the experience is the interaction/sharing with the other participants. I just think that experience is diminished by sharing the Chef's Table experience with teens/pre-teens. FYI--I have an 11 YO of my own that has been on about 25 cruises.

So....

the question is: Are you planning to take your now 14 and 10 year old kids to chef table :).

Actually, my girls will be 15 and 11 during our next cruise. As of right now, I don't plan on taking them. I just don't think they will appreciate it nor want to go. My oldest prefers being to herself with a good book. As long as she has room service she is fine. My younger one is a social butterfly and prefers to be with kids her age at the 'club'. I still have over a year before we sail again so this may change but I would prefer if it's just me and hubby.

I loved the Chefs Table. Dont miss it!! You will not ever regret this. I've never read a negative comment about the chefs table. Even posters that hated their cabin, the food, the entertainment still rave about this dinner. I personally wouldnt want to take a kid as others have said. For me its because I dont want to be watching them, I want to listen to the chef & interact with others. That being said I have reservations for myself & 14 yr old gd on the Magic in May. Shes bashful & I was afraid she wouldnt meet another kid her age that she'd take off to Camp C & do something with. Being a loving grandma I figured the crew would look down on me if I tied her to a chair & hid her in the shower. And me skipping the chefs table is NOT an option. Sooo shes going & I'm sure she'll b bored to death & will whisper to me no less than 4 times," When is this over?" if she meets someone & doesnt want to go I'm hoping Carnival will let me give the other seat to someone who would enjoy.

• 1 month later...

We just did Chefs Table for a 4th time. This time it was on the Freedom. Both myself and my 9 year old thoroughly enjoyed it. Her favorite shows on tv are Iron Chef, Rachel Ray, etc., so she actually enjoys hearing about the food and the presentation. On the Freedom, there is a special room off the MDR for Chefs Table; it made it extra special.

Here's hoping that everyone gets a chance to experience Chefs Table; it truly is incredible. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Chef Table dinner lasted over 3 hrs. Better think about that, thats long time even for us.

Ours on the Sensation was 4 hours... in fact it is one reason we thought not to do it again. It was the last night of the cruise and we were at it from 6 til 10. I love food but that was a bit on the longish side. The magic show was a bit strained although the flowing wine made it easier. If it was 2.5 hours I think we would consider it again. BTW we had 2 children that seemed to be 10-12 and well behaved. No problems. I want to say we had a great time, loved it, just a bit long.

I agree.

I also have read some reviews where kids got bored and/or tired and the family had to leave the dinner early

Maybe a teen OK...but an 8 year old would probably enjoy dinner with Camp Carnival friends more than the Chef Table.

I am sure the Chef Table is great but the more I have read about it, I think it may be too long and drawn out for ME lol

I do like the Steakhouse and will stick with that

I sure hope there aren't any kids when I have my chef's table experience, some things need to be adult only. I know everyone thinks their kids are the exception, but I think most people frown on kids attending, my opinion.

Have you had a bad experience at Chef's table with children, or are you just assuming?

I have one child that I wouldn't let near a fancy dinner with a 100 foot pole. The other is fantastic, enjoyed all the MDR dinners, and participated in the conversation, and at some point, well before he's 18, will do great at Chef's Table.

That being said, the conversation at Chef's Table was more adult.. not from a risque standpoint, but about where people had lived, about their kids, language, jobs, education and stuff that a minor doesn't have the experience to contribute. He could listen fine, but it would be strained to participate. But then not everyone at the table participated (4 of the 10 were pretty quiet), so I don't know that is a reason to exclude.

Archived