Has anyone seen this Dept. of Consumer Affairs Link - re: Carnival complaints?

Charlie of Kincardine, ON August 16, 2009

If the Captain decides not to go to a port with a healt risk, how can you argue about it? I'd recommend cancellation insurance. If they won't allow a person on a water slide because they don't meet the height restrictions, it's in your best interest, so do your research prior to booking a trip. If your travel agent has told you that that person could go on the water slide then go after them for a refund. Ask questions prior to booking stupid. It's as though you people want everything for nothing. You couldn't even eat dinner, just dinner, at the caliber that they serve to you for the price they charge for a week.

I've been on 6 cruises with Carnival and never felt I was cheated, more like the other way around. Would you prefer an epidemic and still go to that port? I'd bet you'd be the first to sue if your daughter got hurt on the slide. I'd bet you people would be the first to complain if you got sick due to an epidemic. Do you not realise what value you are getting and the safety that's factored in to the design of the ships? Who do you think that is for? Bunch of ungrateful whiners. They're in business! They can't give refunds with every complaint! So keep the complaints legitimate and stop whining. Go ahead and order that second lobster, or filet mignon. By the way it's a purser not a pusher!

LOL! So it looks like you can post stuff in favor of Carnival as well. Some of the complaints are ridiculous. They'd get torn up badly here! :eek:

I'm not going to read all 52 pages...but I'm wondering about the guide dog complaint. Can people take a guide dog on a cruise?

I would assume guide dogs and allergy dogs would have to be allowed. Otherwise...they wouldn't be ADA compliant.

A young girll at my daughter's school has severe allergies (peanut) and they have to allow the allergy dog.

It's quite interesting their most "recent is 9/3/09 and oldest is 3/1/06. Latest complaints on here are almost a year ago.

Yes society has become quite whiney. For the value of what you receive as a "product" and for what you receive from said "product" for X period of time (3,4,5,7,8,12days) some people just don't get it and expect the world to revolve around them and get it for free. Carnival and Royal both give a good product for the price. There is this other thread on the Royal board today too where there are three whiners that had their "whole" experience and vacation ruined over one item (information to an aol travel link). They need to relax, either that or maybe the cruise ships need to hand them xanax when they board the ship. Can be part of the pre-sail, sail and sign card link. Are you a grouch? Are you whiney and not play well with others in the sand box?

The allergy dogs (at least the way I understand them) are specifically for people (mainly children) that have severe peanut allergies.

Evidently they are specifically trained to warn a person in advance. Again...I don't know much about the "critical success" of these animals. However, a friend of mine lost his wife to a peanut allergy so I'll let you guys laugh about it at your leisure.

hunwolf, i don't think they were laughing at the fact of having allergies, just the point of how far we've come and all the conveinence (sp) of today. I happen to applaud the fact that animals can be trained for all the things they do other than jumping thru hoops, catching frisbee's etc.

i think why they said it the way the do is just the amazement of it all. i think it's great that they have service animals from helping ppl with seizures, hearing, seeing and now the allergies which is new to me as well as service animals for the emotional side.

I would assume guide dogs and allergy dogs would have to be allowed. Otherwise...they wouldn't be ADA compliant.

A young girll at my daughter's school has severe allergies (peanut) and they have to allow the allergy dog.

I'm not positive about this but I don't think ships have to be ADA compliant. That is the Americans with Disabilities Act and the ships are not American flagged. However they do allow service animals with prior notice and arrangements thru the cruiseline.

Okay, where do the dogs do their " business" ? :p

Yes, all service dogs are allowed on cruise ships.

Can you? Yes

Can you just show up with no prior communication with the cruiseline of your special need? Most likely not

Yes, you have to let the cruiseline know in advance so they can make the proper accommodations for you. You also have to get the dog and its veterinary paperwork ready for each country you wish to get off the ship at (different countries have different requirements - some just require the health and rabies certificates, some also require an import permit, some also require a rabies titer with or without a six-month wait before the dog can enter the country, etc.).

I'm not positive about this but I don't think ships have to be ADA compliant. That is the Americans with Disabilities Act and the ships are not American flagged. However they do allow service animals with prior notice and arrangements thru the cruiseline.

Yes, cruise ships have to be ADA compliant when they sail from the U.S. (this includes U.S. Territories like Puerto Rico, since those also are under the ADA). Cruise ships sailing from the U.S. are also under the DOT (Department of Transportation) regulations and some new DOT regulations for such ships (as well as ferries and the like) are going into effect in November of this year. (Part of those regulations are that non-disabled ppl will no longer be able to book accessible cabins under most circumstances, thankfully!)

Foreign airlines are also under the DOT's ACAA (Air Carrier Access Act) when flying to or from the U.S.

An allergy dog? God help us- how did the human race manage to get to 2010?

Some didn't; they died due to their severe allergies. Or they were stuck in the house/controlled environments due to their severe allergies so that they wouldn't die. Also, allergies are more prevalent these days.

The allergy dogs (at least the way I understand them) are specifically for people (mainly children) that have severe peanut allergies.

Evidently they are specifically trained to warn a person in advance. Again...I don't know much about the "critical success" of these animals. However, a friend of mine lost his wife to a peanut allergy so I'll let you guys laugh about it at your leisure.

Yes, these are dogs for ppl who have literally life-threatening allergies, not for most ppl who get itchy, red eyes, sneeze, etc. as their allergic reaction. These are for ppl who are allergic to things like peanuts, tree nuts, etc. so badly that they could die from being in the same room as those things.

The dogs are trained to alert to the presence of the allergens and keep the person away from the allergen (i.e. keep the person from entering a room where the allergen is found).

Okay, where do the dogs do their " business" ? :p

Either the cruiseline or the owner sets up an area for a dog potty. This can be on the person's balcony (if they have a balcony cabin) or on a remote area of a public deck or such. Different cruiselines set up different potty areas; Carnival builds a 4' x 4' or so wooden box and fills it with paper dog litter pellets ("Second Nature Dog Litter"). They say if you want anything else, bring it yourself. So, I bring my own setup of potty pads under faux grass and I put it on my balcony. The room steward puts new trash bags out on the balcony at least once a day and takes the filled ones away with the trash.

The website the OP provides the link to is a commercial site that has no relationship to any state or federal government consumer protection agency. It takes advertising. The heading on OP's post is not quite accurate. But the complaints posted there are certainly interesting.

LOL! So it looks like you can post stuff in favor of Carnival as well. Some of the complaints are ridiculous. They'd get torn up badly here! :eek:

Having cruised 50 times and having booked number 51. I do not need to read ridiculous complaints about cruising or Carnival. [15 cruises on Carnival].

I do question why you titled this thread "Dept of Consumer Affairs" since the link is not a Govt Agency but a commercial website intended to make a profit. Just as the Better Business Bureau is also a commercial company that makes a profit from the membership fees paid by participating businesses.

BBB used to rate Carnival and all companies that did not join them and pay a fee and refused to allow BBB to interject themselves into the company/customer discussion as Unsatisfactory. Lawsuits made them stop that.

Archived