Flying to Vancouver -- question

I will be taking a connecting flight from Chicago to Vancouver. In Chicago will I need to go from domestic to international travel? Is BC considered international since it is out of the contiguous United States? How much time should I allot for going from one flight to the connecting flight if I must go from the domestic terminal to the international terminal. Both my incoming and outgoing flights are on United Airlines.

I will be taking a connecting flight from Chicago to Vancouver. In Chicago will I need to go from domestic to international travel? Is BC considered international since it is out of the contiguous United States? How much time should I allot for going from one flight to the connecting flight if I must go from the domestic terminal to the international terminal. Both my incoming and outgoing flights are on United Airlines.

Mostly likely you will leave from a domestic gate at ORD. While I can't guarantee it; there is no specific requirement for a gate at a US airport for departures to Canada. When you land at YVR; you will be at one of the transborder gates; and will then proceed to Canadian Immigration & Customs.

Travelling to the United States; you clear US C&I in Vancouver before entering the Transborder Wing at YVR; which then means you're essentially cleared right into the United States; and will walk off your plane as if you are a domestic passenger (and can check luggage right through).

This setup applies for all of the major airports in Canada with US pre-clearance facilities (the only ones that don't that you might run into are YYJ/Victoria and YQB/Quebec City)

I am having trouble understanding your post but my guess is that you are originating in Baton Rouge, and connecting with a flight departing from Chicago to Vancouver. Quite frankly it has been so many years since I have flown from ORD to YVR I have not idea which terminal we used to depart from but surely United could tell you. I do know that when I have flown from other cities in the US to Vancouver we have departed mainly from the domestic terminal as Canadian customs clearance is done in Vancouver.

As well as being rude, cruiser yyc is quite wrong. I guess he hasn't flown out of the US recently. Almost all flights from major US airports to Canada leave from domestic terminals. Chicago is no exception. I flew United through Chicago 4 times in the last 2 months from Vancouver. TO Vancouver, you will leave from terminal 1 which has 2 concourses B and C linked by a tunnel.

If your flight to Chicago lands at terminal 2 it will be concourse F. United uses concourses B, C, and F) There is a shuttle bus from terminal 2 to terminal 1 (Gate E3 to gate C9). But check first whether or not taking the shuttle forces you to go through security again. You can stay in the secure zones by walking between concourses. You need to allow at least an hour for your luggage to make the transfer. 90 minutes will allow you to get a sandwich and a beer. United should not book you on flights that can't make the connection

You will clear Canadian customs in Vancouver. On your return, you will clear US customs in Vancouver and arrive at terminal 1 in Chicago. You can check your luggage through to your final destination in both cases.

If you want some duty free hootch, there is a small duty free near gate B9 (limit 1 bottle per person).

For some cruises there is a direct shuttle from Vancouver airport to the cruise terminal which treats you as if you never left the USA. You are going to Alaska so once again there is US customs at the cruise terminal. This may or may not be available to you. Check with the cruise line. It is not available if you are stopping over in Vancouver. (highly recommended-it is a beautiful city). If not clear, I will try to answer any questions about O'Hare.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you all. My return is no problem as I will be on a cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles and probably clearing customs when we port in Seattle, Washington (our first US port) and then I have a direct flight home from Los Angeles.

I realize I will have to clear customs and immigration in Vancouver. I've done that before and it is no problem. In 1997 I connected from Detroit to Vancouver and I honestly do not remember what we did in Detroit.

My concern is that I have 1 hour and 10 minutes if the flight lands on time in Chicago to get to my flight to Vancouver (actually under an hour because they may close the plane's door). It will be all that much harder if I have to change from the domestic to international terminal. That is why I am asking. My flights to Chicago and then to Vancouver are on United. I don't care about my luggage making it; we'll be in port until midnight. I worry about me making it!

Earl, I hardly think cruiseryyc was rude. A question was asked - honestly, it is indeed an international flight and I am trying to figure out why OP originally didn't understand that? The United States and Canada are two different countries. International flight. The answer provided (the first part, anyway) was accurate and correct.

OP, your connection time in Chicago is tight but hopefully you will arrive there on time and have all the time you need to make that connection. Have you looked up the airport's website and seen for yourself what you will most likely have to do? This may help set your mind at ease, or at least give you some direction.

Have a safe flight and a great cruise. :)

No worries Judith. My husband and I flew from ORD to YVR on United. You'll be arriving and departing Chicago from terminal 1. (one of 3 domestic terminals)

You will only have to change gates. There is a chance you may have to change concourses, but that should be easy.

Here is a link to ORD maps Chicago O'Hare International Airport Terminal Map for ORD

At O'Hare, American airlines and United airlines international flights leave from their domestic terminals. We flew AA from Chicago to London from a domestic terminal. In fact, I'm pretty sure that any international flight can leave from any terminal - its the arriving that puts you through customs -located in the international terminal.

Earl, I hardly think cruiseryyc was rude. A question was asked - honestly, it is indeed an international flight and I am trying to figure out why OP originally didn't understand that? The United States and Canada are two different countries. International flight. The answer provided (the first part, anyway) was accurate and correct.

OP, your connection time in Chicago is tight but hopefully you will arrive there on time and have all the time you need to make that connection. Have you looked up the airport's website and seen for yourself what you will most likely have to do? This may help set your mind at ease, or at least give you some direction.

Have a safe flight and a great cruise. :)

'Canada and the US are 2 different countries.' Are you kidding me?

The OP asked if she would have to change to an international terminal. The correct answer is no. Cruiseryyc gave the wrong information. The United Chicago to Vancouver flight leaves from O'Hare terminal 1 which is a domestic terminal.

'Canada and the US are 2 different countries.' Are you kidding me?

Of course not. Silly billy. :p

If you read my reply to you, I said "The answer provided (the first part, anyway) was accurate and correct."

This was in reply to cruiserccy's remark, "British Columbia is a province in Canada; a different country from the US."

This was in reply to one of OP's original questions, "Is BC considered international since it is out of the contiguous United States?" Obviously, yes, it is. Someone answered her question and you called him or her rude. I defended that person.

Anyway, forget it. OP got her answer anyway. :)

Thank you all. My return is no problem as I will be on a cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles and probably clearing customs when we port in Seattle, Washington (our first US port) and then I have a direct flight home from Los Angeles.

I realize I will have to clear customs and immigration in Vancouver. I've done that before and it is no problem. In 1997 I connected from Detroit to Vancouver and I honestly do not remember what we did in Detroit.

My concern is that I have 1 hour and 10 minutes if the flight lands on time in Chicago to get to my flight to Vancouver (actually under an hour because they may close the plane's door). It will be all that much harder if I have to change from the domestic to international terminal. That is why I am asking. My flights to Chicago and then to Vancouver are on United. I don't care about my luggage making it; we'll be in port until midnight. I worry about me making it!

Where are you flying from? Please supply flight numbers Then I can tell you which terminal you will arrive at in Chicago. Does your cruise leave the same day you arrive in Vancouver?

I do not have my United flight numbers offhand. I will be flying to Chicago from Miami on a 6 a.m. flight. I have 75 minutes in Chicago (if we are on time) and then leave for Vancouver getting in around noon Vancouver time. We leave Vancouver late that evening.

I do not have my United flight numbers offhand. I will be flying to Chicago from Miami on a 6 a.m. flight. I have 75 minutes in Chicago (if we are on time) and then leave for Vancouver getting in around noon Vancouver time. We leave Vancouver late that evening.

We don't need your flight numbers to help you out. You will arrive and depart from terminal 1 at O'Hare. No switching of terminals; no going through security again. If you look at the map I referenced above - the worst situation you could encounter is arriving at concourse B or C and leaving from the other. That is the furthest you would have to go.

I have been on connecting flights when the flight attendants have announced everyone's connecting gates; hopefully you will too.

Thank you. I feel much more secure in that I'll make my connection.

One last suggestion to ease your mind.

Go to the United website and enter your flight numbers in flight status. You can check which gates the flight arrived and departed from for 3 days: yesterday, today and tomorrow. (You can also see whether they're usually on time or not) This will give you a general indication where those flights' gates are. It won't be the same gate every day, but should be the same terminal and concourse.

Archived