Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

Just returned from a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess. The food was horrible in the MDR and the Buffet. Tasteless and bland and a cheaper menu since Carnival bought the cuise line. I won't book another Princess cruise.

Carnival Cruise Corp. has owned Princess since about 2002. As you can see we have been on a few since then. We always thought the food was good. It's to bad you had a bad experience....

Just back from Caribbean Princess 14-day. My observations:

Elevator chimes - 2 chimes (descending major third interval, if you understand music) - means the elevator will be going down.

One chime - the elevator will be going up.

Armrests between seats at the Princess Theatre contain a hide-away small table to hold your drinks place writing pads.

Watch for incorrect prices on your account. For example "Martini of the Day" advertised at $7.50 in the Patter was charged at the $7.95 regular price for all martinis.

Most annoyed by - display of full passengers names at the door to each cabin, along with their Captain's Circle status (i.e. gold, platinum, elite).

I think this is a major flaw in their privacy policy.

P.S. to keep from doing U-turns in the elevator landings, take note of what color the carpet trim is where your cabin is. One side will have blue, and the other will be like a salmon/pink color. I don't recall which is which for Port or Starboard, but that's what we use to help keep from going the wrong way.

P.S. to keep from doing U-turns in the elevator landings, take note of what color the carpet trim is where your cabin is. One side will have blue, and the other will be like a salmon/pink color. I don't recall which is which for Port or Starboard, but that's what we use to help keep from going the wrong way.

This was one of the most useful hints I found and used often! The blue is on the starboard side (right), the pink is on the port side (left) - Note: "pink", "port" and "left" all have 4 letters, easier to remember! Lots of other great tips here, especially hanging clothes pins on the bottom of the shower curtain - kept the water inside the stall.

This was one of the most useful hints I found and used often! The blue is on the starboard side (right), the pink is on the port side (left) - Note: "pink", "port" and "left" all have 4 letters, easier to remember! Lots of other great tips here, especially hanging clothes pins on the bottom of the shower curtain - kept the water inside the stall.

Yes, but the problem is that "blue" also has 4 letters, so I have to double check once aboard. :)

I just learn which way to turn. On all the ships I have sailed,all the elevators face the same direction. So you easily learn that you always turn left/right to get to your cabin.

So how do you manage with HAL?:rolleyes:

john

Or you can always just read the large sign before you enter the hallway which clearly states whether you are entering the port or starboard side.

The Star Princess did not have different carpet colors on the port or starboard side so that would not have helped!

1. If you (or anyone else) orders anything for you from the gift menu (i.e., chocolates or whatnot), be sure to claim them as soon as you receive your post card. I had ordered the heart-shaped Godiva chocolates for our anniversary and naively requested they be delivered on Thursday....got to the gift shop and was told they were sold out and to pick something else. I was pretty bummed after ordering months in advance trying to make the day "perfect."

2. If you want spa treatments or hair appointments and book ahead of time, be sure to call the spa upon boarding to confirm your appointments. One of our appointments didn't make it onto the schedule and when I asked about it, I was told it was a third party who handles the "pre" reservations.

3. Don't wait until you are hungry to head to a dining room for anytime dining....make a reservation. Otherwise you'll be hungry and a little crabby watching everyone else waltz right past you. :(

• 4 weeks later...
Princess will be rolling out new menus. This will supposedly start to take place over the next few months. Allegedly, there will be Princess favorites on the menu every night, such as escargot.

The last time they rolled out new menus, it was less than successful. Those "small plate/big plate" menus sure did not last long.:D

Will be curious about what "Princess favourites" means...fav of the cruise line or passenger favs:)

from a friend who has a friend who works for Princess

Remember, escargot can be ordered the day before, anyway.

On a 7 day tho', they started to get grouchy if you wanted escargot.

We always seem to be able to negotiate it

What does the length of the cruise have to do with getting escargot? Why would they mind on a 7 day...just curious?

What does the length of the cruise have to do with getting escargot? Why would they mind on a 7 day...just curious?

I'm thinking they were requesting it all 7 days of their sailing?

I'm on a 14 day and it would be nice not to have to request it the day before...they will get really grouchy after 14 days! :eek:;):p:rolleyes::D

Not sure if those water dispensers in the HC are very sanitary. Last cruise I wouldn't use it as I saw so many people pushing their water bottles up on the lever where they touched the top, one right after the other. Just saying....

Not sure if this is addressed later, but on the Crown in Feb 2012 they would not allow you to fill your water bottle in the HC for the very reason you are pointing out.

Not sure if this is addressed later, but on the Crown in Feb 2012 they would not allow you to fill your water bottle in the HC for the very reason you are pointing out.

Quite true. However I still do it, BUT I bring a small funnel from home and use it when I fill my bottle, so, nothing gets contaminated.

john

Archived